2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great workout tonight. We started with cardio, moved to a series of back exercises and a lot of core work. Finished with about 10-15 minutes of stretching to end the workout.

Left. Biceps was feeling wonky well before that though.
Keep an eye on that. Trust the hook. If all else fails, I would rather see straps get used. It's much better that rupturing a bicep tendon.

Keep an eye on that. Trust the hook. If all else fails, I would rather see straps get used. It's much better that rupturing a bicep tendon.
Will do

From a form critical viewpoint, that injury usually happens when there's a jerky start off the floor.
Will keep that in mind. I really think I did something to it out of the weightroom, but no reason to make it worse.

I whipped my own tail on the trainer tonight. Went harder than I thought I could. Im toasted.

Will keep that in mind. I really think I did something to it out of the weightroom, but no reason to make it worse.
Your bicep doesn't care *where* it happened. It only cares *when* it goes. I'm not overly concerned. Not to denigrate your work, but rarely do ruptured tendons happen at your weights.

Your bicep doesn't care *where* it happened. It only cares *when* it goes. I'm not overly concerned. Not to denigrate your work, but rarely do ruptured tendons happen at your weights.
That's a good point.

Not denigrating at all. Appreciate the honesty.

How long did it take you to get used to the hook grip? I've been thinking about switching to it and relying less on straps, and was just curious what I'd be in for.

How long did it take you to get used to the hook grip? I've been thinking about switching to it and relying less on straps, and was just curious what I'd be in for.
Never. Every session is a mental grind. Your thumbs can take the abuse. But it hurts, a lot starting out. But it becomes an expected pain and it's very temporary. But it never feels good. I would recommend hooking every set. All the way from warm ups to work sets. If you have aspirations of competing, start hook gripping now. I have seen the light and recognize that alternating grip is just not ideal.

Last edited:
Presses went very poorly tonight. Only managed 5 at 165lbs. I was really shooting for 6. I've got some form sloppiness with my lower half that needs to be addressed.

Edit: dips went very well.

Not a great day in the gym today. I of course have a number of excuses for this: shoveling/blowing snow yesterday/this morning, less than 8 hours of sleep, eating fewer calories, clearly my squat technique is all wrong, and the list goes on. Did squats just fine and hit 300 lbs today, so that's fun; form actually felt better than usual. Next came bench and I failed my first work set after 3 reps, dropped 10 lbs and finished the set then failed the next set at that weight after 4 reps, so dropped 10 more and got through that set. Finally got to deads and just wasn't feeling it. Dropped 20 lbs off my previous work set and still only hit 3. Overall just a blah day in the gym and I'm going to chalk it up to a lot working against me and hit it hard on Friday. A bad day in the gym is better than no day in the gym, right?

Wouldn't "his weights" all be relative? It may not be heavy to some but maybe its heavy to him. Just feel like a point is being missed here

Wouldn't "his weights" all be relative? It may not be heavy to some but maybe its heavy to him. Just feel like a point is being missed here
You're correct. But my point is, I have not heard of connective tissue failing at that weight. I'm sure it's happened. Typically above 405 lb and with AWFUL form. It's the jerky start that comes with 1 rep max attempts in lifters who need not be attempting a 1 rep max.

You're correct. But my point is, I have not heard of connective tissue failing at that weight. I'm sure it's happened. Typically above 405 lb and with AWFUL form. It's the jerky start that comes with 1 rep max attempts in lifters who need not be attempting a 1 rep max.
I understand. Wasnt trying to like call you out, just had me thinking well even 205 could feel like 405 to a complete beginner who isnt strong at all. Not saying captain is that guy at all, just hypothetical I feel like damage could be done at lighter weights relative to the lifter. Anyhoo end rant haha

I understand. Wasnt trying to like call you out, just had me thinking well even 205 could feel like 405 to a complete beginner who isnt strong at all. Not saying captain is that guy at all, just hypothetical I feel like damage could be done at lighter weights relative to the lifter. Anyhoo end rant haha
No worries. For instance. If you tried to deadlift 800 lbs, I doubt you will get injured. The weight is so far past your capabilities (I assume) that you couldn't produce enough force to even risk injury, no matter how poor your form. Now, if you tried to deadlift +15 lbs your max with AWFUL form, you may have a problem.

No worries. For instance. If you tried to deadlift 800 lbs, I doubt you will get injured. The weight is so far past your capabilities (I assume) that you couldn't produce enough force to even risk injury, no matter how poor your form. Now, if you tried to deadlift +15 lbs your max with AWFUL form, you may have a problem.
That makes a lot of sense Joe, good perspective. At 800lbs my o ring and underpants would definitely be in jeopardy tho.

That makes a lot of sense Joe, good perspective. At 800lbs my o ring and underpants would definitely be in jeopardy tho.
Hahaha. you may be right. I can't help that

Two other things from the gym today; I started having a pronounced pause at the bottom of my bench and that seems to have made it more difficult, but I think it's the right way to do it and I plan to keep doing it, and I tried hook gripping my first set of deads and immediately said nope. I think I need to start lighter to try out the hook grip, because it just feels so foreign.

Two other things from the gym today; I started having a pronounced pause at the bottom of my bench and that seems to have made it more difficult, but I think it's the right way to do it and I plan to keep doing it, and I tried hook gripping my first set of deads and immediately said nope. I think I need to start lighter to try out the hook grip, because it just feels so foreign.
That pause is a must for competition. It is not necessary for general strength training.

That pause is a must for competition. It is not necessary for general strength training.
Yeah, one of the reasons I started it in case I ever want to attend a meet. At this point that's a long shot, but still better to start it now. Also keeps me from cheating on my lifts.

Yeah, one of the reasons I started it in case I ever want to attend a meet. At this point that's a long shot, but still better to start it now. Also keeps me from cheating on my lifts.
If you decide to compete, I would immensely proud of you. I have never competed. The standard saying is, you're never to weak for your first meet. You're never strong enough for your second.

Ugh. light squats. 280lb for a set of 5. I then asked to work in with a guy on the platform. He was using the dumb bumper plates. looks awesome. But it's stupid.

My hands weren't feeling hook grip tonight. So I strapped the last 5 reps of my deadlift set.

Also, deadlift face:
f96261cf04e2bda16a2a1a93529d4017.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back