What Do You Think?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This was ruled no penalty, but it seems a lot of people think otherwise. Thoughts?

as someone who has tc chen'd more times than he likes to admit (once in a thp callout, thank you very much), you absolutely know when you hit the ball twice. i'll give tiger the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't know he hit it twice. no penalty.

Tiger said he didn't believe he double hit the ball (and I believe him). On the telecast today they interviewed one of the rules officials and they said that while the hi-def footage showed the ball may have been in contact with the club longer than a "normal" shot they weren't going to penalize him since it was not apparent with the naked eye in real time. I think that's a good decision.

I think the decision is correct, didn't seem like anything blatant or noticeable to warrant a penalty

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I really don't care if he did or not. You can't see it til you go to SUPER SloMo. But I've double hit a few, and you can usually feel it when you did it. Leave it as an integrity call. If he says he couldn't feel it, he couldn't. Besides... he took a double on the hole as it is. lol

Saw it a couple of times on the telecast - I'll give Tigs the benefit of any doubt - he closed the club coming through - the club was slowed down coming through the bush ... okay with it.

I'm with Tiger on this one....nopenalty. It did look weird in super slo mo but come on, he was on his knees under a bush (and yes, im talking on the course and not his private life):alien2:

I’ve TC’d a couple myself. I knew that I had hit it twice immediately. In my experience, there was no mistaking the second contact.

I think it’s the right decision.

Well that was a double tap all day long. He dragged it and hit it twice.

No penalty was the right call from the rules perspective. Only Tiger knows if he felt the ball be double hit or not. I think he is telling the truth.
I am excited about the new rule in 2019 regarding accidental double hits though as it clears a lot up.

I'm with Tiger on this one....nopenalty. It did look weird in super slo mo but come on, he was on his knees under a bush (and yes, im talking on the course and not his private life):alien2:

My thoughts exactly.

Any time we need the super slow mo with super zoom camera to determine a penalty, it's not a penalty IMO.

He said no, good enough for me since that’s the spirit of the game, isn’t it.

If you can't tell definitely in the slow mo, then I say it is not. Now did he scoop the ball?

The right call was made imo. He certainly didn't gain any advantage.

Any time we need the super slow mo with super zoom camera to determine a penalty, it's not a penalty IMO.

with that kind of common sense approach you have no shot of ever being employed by the usga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Silly Greg everyone knows the Big Cats always TOP of the Leaderboard

And I think they made the correct call

From the back it looked like there was no issue but from the front and in slow motion there is no doubt there should have been a penalty for a double hit. It looked like he actually caught back up with the ball after initial impact and then threw the ball with the club.

Definitely a penalty, but I hate the penalties being called by video. Tiger should be honest enough to call it on himself.

After further review, stroke stands as called. Replay inconclusive.

I think the rule was applied correctly regarding double hit. But I disagree he made an honest swing at it. Seemed like he scooped it to me. And the relevant decision seems to say the assumption is of guilt about scooping. Need strong evidence otherwise.

Actually he didn't double hit. He scooped it like poop on a shovel.

He didn't think he double hit in real time but when he saw the replay he said that he did double hit. Replay cant be used to assess penalties so no penalty.

I don’t know about the double strike but it seemed like an obvious scoop instead of a strike. That wouldn’t pass the smell test with your buddies on a Saturday morning

He scooped it, and in our fourball, he would have been penalised.

I think it was a good call, it looks like the sand caught the club and caused it to drag the speed of the ball, I see the other side of the argument and it’s a good one but I don’t think it was a penalty shot.

Scoop, double hit call it what you want but it was an illegal hit. There is no way you can hit a golf ball like that and honestly think you made a clean single strike.

Back