SKLZ "Golf Strong" Program - THP Review

Looking forward to following along

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finished up about 15 mins ago, Phase 1 Workout 1 was distance. Lots of thoughts in the morning.

Finished up about 15 mins ago, Phase 1 Workout 1 was distance. Lots of thoughts in the morning.

This one is sitting in the cart waiting for some of your thoughts.

Links to Previous Posts:

Original Post w/ Images and Info: Click HERE
Introduction: Click HERE

Workout #1 - Phase #1 - "Distance"

So, workout #1 is in the books. For reference sake I am going to be following a Sunday, Wednesday, Friday workout layout that way I can have one day per week where the workout doesn't have to be set in stone within my daily schedule since my days are pretty much packed from 5am to 11pm.

In terms of layout and setup, I used my living room last night for the workout as it has the largest open space for me to be able to stretch out when necessary. Plus, the big screen over the mantle and having the front door in the corner with view of the screen to use as my anchor point is a pretty ideal setup.

I'll say, I am a little sore after the first workout, but nothing like I anticipated I would be during the workout. A lot of that comes back to the recovery period that is built in and the emphasis on using the Accupoint (yellow dual-roller ball in the pics) to roll out the areas which got the main focus during the workout.

Now, to the meat of it, the Phase #1 "Distance" workout was made up of two different circuits but with three rotations of each essentially. The first go round utilized the Slidez, the mini bands, and the heavy and medium training cables. The second series used the medium cables and the Slidez. All movements in the distance workout really focused in on stabilization up top while working to fire the lower sections (hips, glutes, etc), clearly honing in on the muscles used to drive the golf swing through the transition while improving balance. There was no jumping around or anything like that, just some lateral movements when on the feet using the cables as well as a few "in place" warmups (quick feet, high knee power down's, etc) so thus far there isn't a need for a massive space. In terms of difficulty, there was nothing here overly daunting, I will say though there was one of the squat movements at the end of the workout that did kick my butt, its evident my hips need work (which I already knew and this definitely confirmed.

I really enjoyed the workout, and my heart rate got up, sweat was broken, and it pushed me. At the same time though, there is nothing here that IMO will be "too much" for anyone, from the most out of shape to Tony freakin' Finau who was going through the moves on the screen.

I'll leave this update with some general thoughts:
  • It is clear these moves hone in on specific regions and really pinpoint them. My hips, glutes, and shoulders are feeling it today, in a very good way.
  • One thing to note is there isn't really any "here is how you do this" period before the moves, rather, you jump right in. This was no biggie to me because I know the magic of pause and rewind, but I figured some would want to know this. I'll add here, after the first rotation through of each circuit, I had the exercises down-pat so its really a non-issue to me (and I'll be doing this workout 2 more times in the following 2 weeks).
  • I wish it came with two door anchors TBH, only because I had to move from the high to the mid position a couple times and while not hard or labor intensive, its just kind of a minor inconvenience. Like I said, not really an issue per-say, but a musing.
  • It's a workout video, so prepare yourself for the conversation throughout it. Although you can tell this is a new world for Tony in terms of the conversation on video between he and EXOS founder Mark Verstegen (who leads this workout) and it gets a little awkward, its solid. Its clear that he actually does these moves and he even goes so far as to tell us that on many of them.
  • They do a good job of relaying what each move will aid in the golf swing. Very cool to me to hear.
  • Mark is clear, this isn't teaching you a golf swing, this is building you a better foundation to your golf swing.
  • The exercises are solid time wise, 20, 30, or 45 seconds each. PERFECT in my opinion for the movements being done and keeping it do-able for people of all physicalities.
  • The Accupoint roller is bliss.

As always, if you have any questions, PLEASE feel free to post them up. This is a journey for all of us, and I'm just the guinea pig! (Its one pretty kick ass journey though!)

Great thoughts Jman. This sounds like exactly what I've been looking for, something that is not overly time consuming or that will kill me since I am out of shape.

Great thoughts Jman. This sounds like exactly what I've been looking for, something that is not overly time consuming or that will kill me since I am out of shape.

That's the big thing for me, yes, its 40-45 minutes so it isn't by any means short, but its doable. Moreover though, the way its broken into 20, 30, 40 second intervals makes it even more manageable. Plus, thankfully its not about lifting up heavy things and putting them down either, its easily applicable exercises to build strength specific for the golf swing.

James, you mention you use the door as an anchor, can you snap a picture so we can see how that sets up?

Thinking of where my Tvs are set up, wondering how to use this one.

James, you mention you use the door as an anchor, can you snap a picture so we can see how that sets up?

If you look at the link Hicksta posted above, you just shut part of that in the door (hinge side) for an anchor point. It works really well, and more important, easily.

I know with my layout I will probably need to just use my laptop (old school with a drive).

The way my living room is arranged the closest doors to the TV are the closet and pantry. I should be able to make the pantry door work, but I'll know for sure tonight what the best setup will be.

The way my living room is arranged the closest doors to the TV are the closet and pantry. I should be able to make the pantry door work, but I'll know for sure tonight what the best setup will be.

They do recommend a door that can shut, and lock, FWIW.

Links to Previous Posts:

Original Post w/ Images and Info: Click HERE
Introduction: Click HERE

Workout #1 - Phase #1 - "Distance"

So, workout #1 is in the books. For reference sake I am going to be following a Sunday, Wednesday, Friday workout layout that way I can have one day per week where the workout doesn't have to be set in stone within my daily schedule since my days are pretty much packed from 5am to 11pm.

In terms of layout and setup, I used my living room last night for the workout as it has the largest open space for me to be able to stretch out when necessary. Plus, the big screen over the mantle and having the front door in the corner with view of the screen to use as my anchor point is a pretty ideal setup.

I'll say, I am a little sore after the first workout, but nothing like I anticipated I would be during the workout. A lot of that comes back to the recovery period that is built in and the emphasis on using the Accupoint (yellow dual-roller ball in the pics) to roll out the areas which got the main focus during the workout.

Now, to the meat of it, the Phase #1 "Distance" workout was made up of two different circuits but with three rotations of each essentially. The first go round utilized the Slidez, the mini bands, and the heavy and medium training cables. The second series used the medium cables and the Slidez. All movements in the distance workout really focused in on stabilization up top while working to fire the lower sections (hips, glutes, etc), clearly honing in on the muscles used to drive the golf swing through the transition while improving balance. There was no jumping around or anything like that, just some lateral movements when on the feet using the cables as well as a few "in place" warmups (quick feet, high knee power down's, etc) so thus far there isn't a need for a massive space. In terms of difficulty, there was nothing here overly daunting, I will say though there was one of the squat movements at the end of the workout that did kick my butt, its evident my hips need work (which I already knew and this definitely confirmed.

I really enjoyed the workout, and my heart rate got up, sweat was broken, and it pushed me. At the same time though, there is nothing here that IMO will be "too much" for anyone, from the most out of shape to Tony freakin' Finau who was going through the moves on the screen.

I'll leave this update with some general thoughts:
  • It is clear these moves hone in on specific regions and really pinpoint them. My hips, glutes, and shoulders are feeling it today, in a very good way.
  • One thing to note is there isn't really any "here is how you do this" period before the moves, rather, you jump right in. This was no biggie to me because I know the magic of pause and rewind, but I figured some would want to know this. I'll add here, after the first rotation through of each circuit, I had the exercises down-pat so its really a non-issue to me (and I'll be doing this workout 2 more times in the following 2 weeks).
  • I wish it came with two door anchors TBH, only because I had to move from the high to the mid position a couple times and while not hard or labor intensive, its just kind of a minor inconvenience. Like I said, not really an issue per-say, but a musing.
  • It's a workout video, so prepare yourself for the conversation throughout it. Although you can tell this is a new world for Tony in terms of the conversation on video between he and EXOS founder Mark Verstegen (who leads this workout) and it gets a little awkward, its solid. Its clear that he actually does these moves and he even goes so far as to tell us that on many of them.
  • They do a good job of relaying what each move will aid in the golf swing. Very cool to me to hear.
  • Mark is clear, this isn't teaching you a golf swing, this is building you a better foundation to your golf swing.
  • The exercises are solid time wise, 20, 30, or 45 seconds each. PERFECT in my opinion for the movements being done and keeping it do-able for people of all physicalities.
  • The Accupoint roller is bliss.

As always, if you have any questions, PLEASE feel free to post them up. This is a journey for all of us, and I'm just the guinea pig! (Its one pretty kick ass journey though!)

I need to add, as the day has gone on....feeling it in the ole shoulders! Its a good sore!

Great write up James.

I really think this will be something I will look into in the future. right now I'm looking to just drop weight and get my overall body in better physical condition and then after that get more specific to just golf. but it sounds like this will be a great way to work out at home and build a good foundation to the golf swing.

Great first workout review. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of them.

I like what I read so far. What squat move did it have you doing that was a little tough? Also, are we talking wall squat tough or something you're just not quite used to doing yet?

I'm about to kick these golf gainz off! My thoughts, etc will follow!

Great write up for the first workout. Sounds like the exercises hit the right areas to improve the flexibility and muscles.

Yes lock those doors as I had the hotel bathroom door come flying open.

You will sweat doing these, trust me.

2c48110dd76b07fa02b0a62ea3169e59.jpg

James' review is spot on and I already know my shoulders, upper back and hamstrings are going to be sore. They definitely target the golf specific areas and every exercise in the first workout was easy to follow.

As long as you have plenty of room and a door to anchor the bands you should be all set. Personally, I may get heavier bands (because beast) but that's just me. I could also see how dumbbells could be substituted for some of the exercises. As far as the long term benefits of the program goes, that obviously remains to be seen but I think it serves as a nice supplement to other workouts. I think they do a nice job of explaining the purpose of the exercises and the transitions from each are smooth.

The gripes I have are minor. The on screen interactions and shameless plugs are kinda lame, but that's typically what you get with home workout programs. For the recovery, a foam roller may work better as the accupoint peanut got all wrapped up in my shorts when targeting the hamstrings. Not a big deal though.

Personally I'm glad I got it and will be happy to share my experience with anyone who's interested.

I'll be interested to know how long those bands last. I have had some bands last 20 years and other last 2 months. Should note not the SKLZ bands.

I'll be interested to know how long those bands last. I have had some bands last 20 years and other last 2 months. Should note not the SKLZ bands.

Yeah the medium band seems a little shaky, but the heavier band should be fine.

I like what I read so far. What squat move did it have you doing that was a little tough? Also, are we talking wall squat tough or something you're just not quite used to doing yet?

I'll refer to the DVD tonight and get you the name of the move. Suffice to say, Finau has better hips than me, hahahaha

They're quality.

Yeah the medium band seems a little shaky, but the heavier band should be fine.

Shaky how? Seems pretty damn solid/resilient to me in hand compared to some of the similar bands I have had in hand in the past. Genuinely curious.

Also, 2nd day sore is real. The ole shoulders are TIGHT!

Last edited:
Back