Popped (I think?) Collars

Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
Late night insomnia has me watching the Maritania Island Open, or whatever it's called. There's one young fella with a collar on his polo that is intentionally sticking straight up. Is it OK that I hope he bogeys every hole?

I think it would be ok if he'd have just been struck by lightening (and to be clear, I'm not wishing this on him), but outside of being a vampire is there any reason to ever wear a shirt like that? I guess it's a sign of my rapidly advancing age but that's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Seems to be a very good golfer. His style choices should have a bounty placed on it though. There has to be a trailblazer for everything I guess, but is a trailblazer needed for this? I'd rather watch someone in a tank top play then this. Just tuck it down dude! Am I wrong?

Edit: To be further clear, sometimes I fail to make sense when I read my post back to myself. I'm not wishing lightning on this young fella, I'm just saying that it would be a legitimate reason for his collar to be sticking straight up. No ill will is wished upon him, quite the contrary. I wish him much success. I just wish he'd either go collarless or that his collar wasn't hitting him in the eyebrows. I guess it would be a decent way to keep the wind off your ears though.

Another dumb late night post by yours truly. I've gotta ban the internet from me from 12a-7a.

Last edited:
If I've forgotten my sunscreen lotion and it's a sunny day on the back of my neck, I'm popping my collar. In fairness, at the age of 35 I'm a young buck on the average golf course.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So, to be fair to the young man. That’s actually what the collars were designed for originally. While that’s no longer the fashion as they say “all this has happened before and will happen again. “

agree, it’s not a look like, but like Paladin, I’d wear mine up to protect my neck if I wasn’t wearing sunscreen.

I was surprised to see the popped collars that were popular in my youth(1980’s) make a comeback a couple years ago. I thought the popped collar had died in the early 90’s. I’ve seen in way more often from preppy teenagers at private golf/tennis clubs and they carry the style off the course/court as well. Both my (21) and daughter(18) have a few friends that will wear their polo shirt collar popped the last couple years. IMO, now and back then, it’s just a way for some rich preppy teens and early 20’s to show off or declare their perceived status, real or imagined. IMO, it’s always looked foolish but fashions come and go and this is just another one of those.

Last edited:
I don’t mind the popped collar anywhere near as much as clothes that fit too tightly, Sam Ryder’s Capri pants or Sergio Garcia.

I mean..this is the perfect answer. It's all about perception nowadays. Don't mind it on older folks as they actually are using it for protection. Hate it on younger folks as they typically are only doing it for perception.

I was surprised to see the popped collars that were popular in my youth(1980’s) make a comeback a couple years ago. I thought the popped collar had died in the early 90’s. I’ve seen in way more often from preppy teenagers at private golf/tennis clubs and they carry the style off the course/court as well. Both my (21) and daughter(18) have a few friends that will wear their polo shirt collar popped the last couple years. IMO, now and back then, it’s just a way for some rich preppy teens and early 20’s to show off or declare their perceived status, real or imagined. IMO, it’s always looked foolish but fashions come and go and this is just another one of those.

I guess I can buy the sunburn excuse. And I had no idea they were originally designed for that, none.

I guess it's no worse than my oldest kid wearing flannel every day and thinking he's Sam Winchester......

Hot Take: I’d rather wear a Nike collarless shirt than pop my collar.

Hahahaha

Not a good look. if you need it for sun protection and you don't have sunscreen in your bag I get it. But really, you should know and be prepared.

Hot Take: I’d rather wear a Nike collarless shirt than pop my collar.

Hahahaha

I'm with ya!

I always dress in golf "dress code" whenever I leave my house (never know when a random round might pop up:)), and I can understand most higher end courses requiring proper dress. But I really don't care if someone's wearing jorts and a wife beater, heck half the golfers are on my everyday courses. However, with professional golf I think they should dress the part and that guys collar really bugged me. I'm not even really sure why.

Late night insomnia has me watching the Maritania Island Open, or whatever it's called. There's one young fella with a collar on his polo that is intentionally sticking straight up. Is it OK that I hope he bogeys every hole?

I think it would be ok if he'd have just been struck by lightening (and to be clear, I'm not wishing this on him), but outside of being a vampire is there any reason to ever wear a shirt like that? I guess it's a sign of my rapidly advancing age but that's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Seems to be a very good golfer. His style choices should have a bounty placed on it though. There has to be a trailblazer for everything I guess, but is a trailblazer needed for this? I'd rather watch someone in a tank top play then this. Just tuck it down dude! Am I wrong?

Edit: To be further clear, sometimes I fail to make sense when I read my post back to myself. I'm not wishing lightning on this young fella, I'm just saying that it would be a legitimate reason for his collar to be sticking straight up. No ill will is wished upon him, quite the contrary. I wish him much success. I just wish he'd either go collarless or that his collar wasn't hitting him in the eyebrows. I guess it would be a decent way to keep the wind off your ears though.

Another dumb late night post by yours truly. I've gotta ban the internet from me from 12a-7a.

Have seen it before -- I once did it on sunny days when I did not have the wide brim hat. An effort to protect the sides and back of your neck. Not the best look, but it's about gaining some, if little protection.

I think it’s awesome. Being himself and everyone’s styles may not be for others. Euro cut shirts aren’t the favorites of some Americans and vice versa the longer sleeve looser fit isn’t what euros or Latin countries like.

Rooting for someone to play bad based on their style is silly.

Its a pretty quick sign that I don't need to take the time to get to know someone.

That being said on particularly sunny days I have done it to protect my neck.

I think it’s awesome. Being himself and everyone’s styles may not be for others. Euro cut shirts aren’t the favorites of some Americans and vice versa the longer sleeve looser fit isn’t what euros or Latin countries like.

Rooting for someone to play bad based on their style is silly.

I know it is, lol. I just felt like going on a minor rant since it was dark out and I couldn't see to tell them damn kids to get of my lawn! ?

I remember Jim Colbert tore up the senior tour with a flipped collar. Played his whole senior career that way. It didn't bother me then and it doesn't bother me now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sure you can hope he bogeys every hole...same as you can make an effort to get the name of the island right, maybe a better use of the internet between 12a-7a rather than offend an entire nation.

Sorry, this offends me just as much as popped collars do.

Back