Nippon Shafts
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: Maltby club discussion

  1. #1
    Amateur justincredible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    219
    Member
    51047
    Handicap
    20ish

    Maltby club discussion

    I know there won't be many on here with experience with Maltby clubs, but my next set of irons will be coming from The Golfworks and was hoping I'd find a few folks with experience/recommendations. I don't really care much about big name equipment, and given I've heard great things about their clubs and I grew up in Newark, OH where they are located I decided to give them a serious look. I'm headed home to visit my mother this weekend, and they are open until 3pm on Saturday so my plan is to leave early and stop in and demo a few clubs before they close. I've been to their facility once or twice before, back in high school when I didn't have any money. I'm very much looking forward to checking it out as an adult with expendable income.

    Iron heads

    I'm a big fan of the TS-1, TS-2, PTM Black, and DBM irons. They all fall into the Super Game Improvement category given their "Maltby Playability Factor" so I'm assuming they will work for all levels of golfers. I typically shoot in the high 90s, but shot a 91 on Sunday in my first round where I actively attempted smart course management (i.e. hit my hybrid instead of driver off the tee). Does anyone have experience with any of the irons I listed? Has anyone had Golfworks build a set for them? I would likely need some length and lie adjustments so I'm not going to attempt to build my own set just yet. I am contemplating doing one of their fitting and assembly classes this summer since I can spend a few extra days hanging out with my mom.

    I'm also interested in trying out their hybrids, though I'm pretty sure they will be releasing a new line early in the new year.

  2. #2
    Tour Pro tehuti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    820
    Member
    46480
    Handicap
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    I know there won't be many on here with experience with Maltby clubs, but my next set of irons will be coming from The Golfworks and was hoping I'd find a few folks with experience/recommendations. I don't really care much about big name equipment, and given I've heard great things about their clubs and I grew up in Newark, OH where they are located I decided to give them a serious look. I'm headed home to visit my mother this weekend, and they are open until 3pm on Saturday so my plan is to leave early and stop in and demo a few clubs before they close. I've been to their facility once or twice before, back in high school when I didn't have any money. I'm very much looking forward to checking it out as an adult with expendable income.

    Iron heads

    I'm a big fan of the TS-1, TS-2, PTM Black, and DBM irons. They all fall into the Super Game Improvement category given their "Maltby Playability Factor" so I'm assuming they will work for all levels of golfers. I typically shoot in the high 90s, but shot a 91 on Sunday in my first round where I actively attempted smart course management (i.e. hit my hybrid instead of driver off the tee). Does anyone have experience with any of the irons I listed? Has anyone had Golfworks build a set for them? I would likely need some length and lie adjustments so I'm not going to attempt to build my own set just yet. I am contemplating doing one of their fitting and assembly classes this summer since I can spend a few extra days hanging out with my mom.

    I'm also interested in trying out their hybrids, though I'm pretty sure they will be releasing a new line early in the new year.
    Although I haven’t tried any of their clubs yet Golfworks is on my radar. I just got back into golf last year and when I saw what name brand clubs were going for I decided to go the clone route and currently have Gigagolf clubs. I’d like to try Maltby as well. Maybe a driver or wedge. But like you I want to wait and see what they will be coming out with in 2019.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  3. #3
    Junior Golfer olperfesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    106
    Member
    51057
    Handicap
    too high
    Back in 2008, I had the guys at Golf Galaxy build me a totally custom fit set of Maltby clubs, 1" longer woods to 1/2" on the irons, set up perfect lie angles, and fitted shafts. Spent the whole afternoon there and I used them for 4 years. (about 40 rounds) They are in storage, but I probably will never use them again as technology has improved. I assume that the newer Maltby equipment would be at the current level. It depends on the expertise of the fitter how well the clubs will work out.

  4. #4
    Club Pro LLIB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Southern Ohio
    Posts
    260
    Member
    50911
    Handicap
    Life
    One of my favorite irons all time is the M-05. I think it’s the predecessor to the DBM. Felt really good and had a decent amount of forgiveness but I wouldn’t call it super-game improvement no matter what the MPF number is.
    Tour Edge EXS 10.5* - Tour AD MJ-6S
    Tour Edge CB1 4w & 7w - HZRDUS Black 75 6.0
    Callaway CF16 5-A - Recoil 110 f4
    Titleist SM6 54* & 58* - Recoil Proto f4
    SeeMore PTM-2
    KSig/MTB Black/ChromeSoft

  5. #5
    Major Champion DG_1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,644
    Member
    38620
    Handicap
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    I'm headed home to visit my mother this weekend, and they are open until 3pm on Saturday so my plan is to leave early and stop in and demo a few clubs before they close.

    .

    Good plan. Looking at, holding and swinging the clubs will tell you whether the Maltby brand is for you or not.
    Driver: KZG GF 4 10.5* Graphite Design MT 6S
    Fairway metals TaylorMade 2005 R7 TP 15* Graphite Design MJ 7S
    Hybrid: 2008 T2 18* Burner Rescue Aldila NV Hybrid 85
    Irons: Ping G700 4-SW Project X LZ 5.5
    Wedge: Ping G400 58* LW Project X LZ 5.5
    Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 w/ putter grip

  6. #6
    Major Champion OGputtnfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Edmond, Oklahoma (NW OKC)
    Posts
    4,811
    Member
    47284
    Handicap
    -13.9
    Quote Originally Posted by tehuti View Post
    Although I haven’t tried any of their clubs yet Golfworks is on my radar. I just got back into golf last year and when I saw what name brand clubs were going for I decided to go the clone route and currently have Gigagolf clubs. I’d like to try Maltby as well. Maybe a driver or wedge. But like you I want to wait and see what they will be coming out with in 2019.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure if that's how you meant it, but to clarify, Maltby/Golfworks clubs are not in the same ballpark... nah, they're not in the same city/county/state as clone golf clubs. Maltby/Golfworks stuff is top tier.
    C130 bag & Speedcart:
    M1 440 9.5° w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 @ 44"
    Rogue 3wd w/ AccuFLEX Evo R+
    SLDR 3h w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X
    Dynacraft Genesis 4h w/ PX LZ 6.0
    Dynacraft Prophet MB 5-GW w/ PX LZ 6.0
    Dynacraft DM Forged SW (54°)/LW (60°) Tour R (4.0)
    TV Align Midsize & ChromeSoft X / Snell MTB (Black/Red)
    MentorSports Duet USA Flag 3.0
    ---
    ISO: 75g-85g XStiff fairway shafts minimum 41" long

  7. #7
    Tour Pro tehuti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    820
    Member
    46480
    Handicap
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by OGputtnfool View Post
    Not sure if that's how you meant it, but to clarify, Maltby/Golfworks clubs are not in the same ballpark... nah, they're not in the same city/county/state as clone golf clubs. Maltby/Golfworks stuff is top tier.
    My only comparison is that they are in the same ballpark cost wise as other companies, I considered like Pinemeadow and Gigagolf.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  8. #8
    Amateur
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    176
    Member
    45872
    Handicap
    8.5
    I have built a set of PTM's, I use it as my back-up set at the moment. Maltby is a quality product and they tend to have low CG in their designs with rather large blade size while still having modest topline and little offset. I really like mine and they feel and perform really good.
    Driver: TS2 (9.5) - Evenflow S
    3w: TS3 (15) - Evenflow S
    5W: 913F (19) - Diamana Blue 72 S
    4 & 5H: Apex - Kuro Kage 80HY
    PTx 4 - PW
    50 / 56 / 60 SM5/6 Vokey
    Evnroll ER2
    ProV1X 2019 Proto

  9. #9
    Major Champion madi05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    wilson NC
    Posts
    1,967
    Member
    41250
    Handicap
    16
    My bag says it all, and many know I've tried many of the big names and these are the best for me

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by madi05; 12-19-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    M3 9.5 with hzrdus smoke in testing m6 with tensei orange
    m6 3 wood with tensei 65 ck fwy shaft
    Rogue 3HY with aldila synergy 70s
    mp 15 3-pw with px lz
    Z785\ZFORGED COMBO WITH PX LZ
    EVNROLL ER 1.2 murdered out
    Tp5x VICE Pro Soft matte white
    Tour urethane ball is great and d2+feel chrome soft x
    BXS

  10. #10
    Major Champion dthrog00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    north central IL
    Posts
    1,172
    Member
    24146
    Handicap
    18.4/9.3N
    Maltby makes great stuff for a reasonable price. Popeye is the resident expert.

    DT
    WITB
    Mostly Titleist. 917D2, 917F2, 816H1, 716AP2, SM6 wedges
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 3 iron, Piretti putter

  11. #11
    Major Champion WMac19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    4,383
    Member
    4107
    Handicap
    2.2
    I played a longneck Maltby putter for a long while years ago. Always interested in their irons and some woods, just never pulled the trigger.

    I still like many of their designs.
    Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* PRO 73
    Exotics EX9 17* Recoil 670
    Exotics EX9 22* Recoil 670
    Apex CF16 5-PW, SteelFiber i95
    FourteeN RM-22J 46*, 52*, 58*, RM-22 56* SteelFiber i95
    Directed Force Reno, 34"
    ​TP Red LDP

  12. #12
    Amateur
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    melbourne Australia
    Posts
    205
    Member
    25466
    Handicap
    me
    Quote Originally Posted by madi05 View Post
    My bag says it all, and many know I've tried many of the big names and these are the best for me

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Curious your thoughts on the ts 1 compared to your ts2, more importantly is the ts 2 top line really bulky and is the ts1 a little to bladish?

  13. #13
    Major Champion madi05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    wilson NC
    Posts
    1,967
    Member
    41250
    Handicap
    16
    Hmm that's hard to describe but I will try to compare to what I have owned and played for you, the ts1 is more on the lines of the p770 but built like the p790, I preferred the 770 over the 790

    But tbh ts1 has less offset to my eye but pretty forgiving for sure

    Of the ts2 is pretty much like the new cobra forged tec black irons topline and size wise but to me they are smoother that the cft

    So I went ts2 4-5 and 6-gw ts1 and have not looked back, I got them at the end of summer well not to long after they came out, I really love the dg 105 s300 thanks to Popeye I really feel like I'm at home with this shaft very smooth

    I really feel like I could have played either one of the ts models if I went with one whole set it would be ts1 I like the blade look better but definitely not too small,I do feel the ts2 has a smidgen more forgiveness hence why I went with the setup I have

    Btw I did bend all my ts1 irons to same specs as ts2 ,I did it immediately so I'm not sure I needed to but I did it because peace of mind for new is everything lol

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    M3 9.5 with hzrdus smoke in testing m6 with tensei orange
    m6 3 wood with tensei 65 ck fwy shaft
    Rogue 3HY with aldila synergy 70s
    mp 15 3-pw with px lz
    Z785\ZFORGED COMBO WITH PX LZ
    EVNROLL ER 1.2 murdered out
    Tp5x VICE Pro Soft matte white
    Tour urethane ball is great and d2+feel chrome soft x
    BXS

  14. #14
    Mini Tour Player
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    619
    Member
    47120
    Handicap
    3.7
    I went and trained at golfworks for 2 weeks and have a lot of experience with these irons in between sessions.

    Ts1 - it's definitely a blade size head but it's very forgiving being filled with that foam/polymer. This is absolutely my favorite club. Small but still forgiving off mishits. This would be my go to club for sure.

    Ts2 - just an all around great club. Not chunky at all. I'd say it's more around Callaway Rogue size. Not super chunky but not tiny. Great feel and LOOONG. It sounds bad but it's a very middle of the road club in terms of size but it packs a punch.

    DBM - Good middle ground club sort of like the TS2 but a little smaller. Not a complete blade but not a GI iron either. Think of it as a Titleist CB but a touch bigger. I like the ts line feel more because of that filling but the black dbm are beautiful.

    All of their irons are very forgiving and their bigger irons are definitely long. The Sti OS irons are stupid long. I honestly cant say enough good things about their clubs and people in general.

    Also if you have any questions about the classes let me know. I took their fitting assembly and repair as well as professional club fitting. I work at golf galaxy (their parent company) as a club tech/fitter and use the knowledge and material every single day. Dont hesitate to ask any questions at all whether it's club building or whatever. I'd love to help!

    PS: Just letting you know the classes are roughly 8 hours a day. You're in class from 8 to 5 or 10 to 5 so you might not get as much time with your mom as you might think.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    In my - Black 14 Way Stand Bag:
    Driver - F9 9*
    Prototype C13-S3X1 73 X 45"
    Driver 2 -
    Launcher HB 9* RIP Alpha 70 X 44"
    3W -
    Launcher HB 15* Kaula Mizu 8X
    5W -
    Launcher HB 18* Kaula Mizu 8X
    2I - Maltby KE4 Tour HDI 19*
    RIP Alpha 85 X
    5I-PW -
    CBX Modus 3 125 X
    GW - RTX-3 51* Mid
    Custom White X
    SW - RTX-3 56* Mid
    Custom White X
    LW - RTX-3 61* Mid
    Custom White X
    Grips -
    Sonar Midsize +6 wraps
    Putter -
    Queen B 8 Lamkin Deep Etch Cord
    Ball -
    AVX

    2018 The Game Changer by with World Long Drive Champion & Tour Pro Jamie Sadlowski @ Talking Stick Resort Scottsdale

  15. #15
    Amateur justincredible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    219
    Member
    51047
    Handicap
    20ish
    Quote Originally Posted by madi05 View Post
    My bag says it all, and many know I've tried many of the big names and these are the best for me

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    That's a nice looking set. If I end up going the TS route I could see myself splitting it up like that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •