rajohnson

Reaction score
Handicap
I got fitted for a TS3 a month ago, and have loved it, long, accurate, forgiving and looks great.

On a whim I took out my Epic SZ today for a round, and I hit some really great drives that carried farther than my TS3, and I hit every fairway but one that I used it on.

So this is making me re think which driver to put in the bag, I think I like the look of the Epic better.

Curious if anyone has the Epic SZ and tried the TS3? What were your thoughts? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough choice given ur recent investment in the ts3. But, no disrespect, why care what any one else thinks? From ur post, it would seem the sz is working well For You! Enjoy it and have the satisfaction of knowing u have another excellent driver back up IF you and the sz aren't seeing eye to eye at some point. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

At 45" I like the TS3 better. I do not like either the TS2, TS3, or Epic SZ at 45.5" (the stock length). Epic SZ does not spin enough for me even when lofted up, I like to stay between 2200-2500 spin and Epic would dip below 2k too often. When I don't have enough spin the ball tends to be more sporadic.

Feel wise the TS3 felt better than the Epic and Rogue SZ. Jailbreak gives a harsh but solid feeling through my hands I'm not a fan of. Feel wise I think Cobra F8 head was my favorite for 2018, felt nice and mush with good feedback.

Since your oncourse was better with Epic SZ you should bag it though. Play what you have confidence in.

Epic SZ vs TS3

Tough choice given ur recent investment in the ts3. But, no disrespect, why care what any one else thinks? From ur post, it would seem the sz is working well For You! Enjoy it and have the satisfaction of knowing u have another excellent driver back up IF you and the sz aren't seeing eye to eye at some point. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, not so much worrying about what someone else thinks, just curious if people liked the SZ or TS3 better.

At 45" I like the TS3 better. I do not like either the TS2, TS3, or Epic SZ at 45.5" (the stock length). Epic SZ does not spin enough for me even when lofted up, I like to stay between 2200-2500 spin and Epic would dip below 2k too often. When I don't have enough spin the ball tends to be more sporadic.

Feel wise the TS3 felt better than the Epic and Rogue SZ. Jailbreak gives a harsh but solid feeling through my hands I'm not a fan of. Feel wise I think Cobra F8 head was my favorite for 2018, felt nice and mush with good feedback.

Since your oncourse was better with Epic SZ you should bag it though. Play what you have confidence in.

They are both at 45” for me, that is my preferred length. I am probably splitting hairs, as they are both great drivers and over time probably produce the same results. I do like the look of the SZ better though.

I personally like the TS3 better than either of the Epic heads, but it has been more than a year since I played either of the Epics, and my swing has evolved. It may not be an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:
I played the Epic SZ for most of a year, liked it alot, it is consistent. Haven't had the chance to hit the new Titleist drivers yet, that being said, I think I would give the TS3 a bit more of a chance and get more comfortable with it. That you where fit for it says you took the time to try to maximize its performance, give it some time and if you don't feel you are getting the performance switch back to the SZ.

I've played them both quite a bit. The Titleist drivers have never felt particularly forgiving to me, but then again neither have the lower spinning Callaway drivers so I am not sure (outside of maybe jailbreak) there's a real advantage between the two.

At the end of the day, both have quality tech built into them (Titleist being markedly improved from 917 and/or 915), so selecting one is going to be pretty subjective to the user. If I had to pick one, it'd probably be the TS3 because it's fresh and produces a really enjoyable sound. I'm not sure one or the other would be longer for me, however if you're hitting Epic better, maybe you should reconsider the shaft you have in the TS3? There's a chance you can squeak out some more yards with the Titleist.

I've played them both quite a bit. The Titleist drivers have never felt particularly forgiving to me, but then again neither have the lower spinning Callaway drivers so I am not sure (outside of maybe jailbreak) there's a real advantage between the two.

At the end of the day, both have quality tech built into them (Titleist being markedly improved from 917 and/or 915), so selecting one is going to be pretty subjective to the user. If I had to pick one, it'd probably be the TS3 because it's fresh and produces a really enjoyable sound. I'm not sure one or the other would be longer for me, however if you're hitting Epic better, maybe you should reconsider the shaft you have in the TS3? There's a chance you can squeak out some more yards with the Titleist.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it could have been that my swing was on, I have been happy with the TS3, probably a not so smart decision taking the SZ out for a spin again. I was fit for the TS3, so I should stay with it.

Both look great at address, both sound great. Both are great drivers.

I think whichever one plug is at your heartstrings the most is where you should go.

If I had to go on looks the Epic wins, love the green and carbon fibers on the head.

Had them both, I prefer the TS3 overall. But I've also gone through a bit of a change to my swing recently, so who knows which one would prevail now. I dig the sound from the TS3 and the Atmos black in it makes the whole club feel smooth.

So I had Epic SZ at the start of the season, got fitted into an M4 which performed very similar but my dispersion was slightly better.
I have just been fitted for a TS driver, it ended up being TS3 which went 12 yards carry more and 14 yards total with better dispersion. On the fitting I couldn't have hit my driver better at the start so I was a good day for a fit!
Ordered the TS3 and can't wait to get out on the course as soon as I can.
Looks wise I think the Epic SZ is better but the TS3 is a good looking club, but performance the TS3 on a fitting was the best driver I've tried.

Spent some more time with my TS3, getting comfortable with it, sold my SZ, need to practice/play with one driver and not keep switching.

Thanks for the all the replies.

Back