Wedge advice/opinions

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
This is sort of a continuation from my previous thread about the Cleveland RTX-3 CB.

I'm looking for a couple new wedges. I currently play SM6 Vokeys and have been struggling with them ever since I got them earlier this year. I feel like I have to hit every shot with them perfectly in order to get the results I want. No room for any kind of error so to speak.

With that in mind, I'm looking for wedges with a little bit of forgiveness and that's easy to get the ball up in the air, but isn't something huge and bulky like the Cleveland CBX. I thought the RTX-3 CB might be a good middle ground, but am not hearing and reading good things about it (will still give it a try at my local golf shop).

Any suggestions or recommendations on wedges that fit this bill and are fairly affordable? They can be 2017 clubs, I'm not picky.

Some I've seen or heard, but not sure about them:

Mizuno S5
Mizuno T7
Wilson FG Tour PMP
Cleveland RTX-3
Cleveland RTX-3 CB

Any suggestions besides these?
Any input on these?

They are not cavity, but the Callaway MD forged feel fairly forgiving to me and are priced well right now.

Another thought might be the new Mizuno JPX 919. I have seen single wedges sold at PGA Golf Superstore and there you would be getting a cavity back with perimeter weighting. They seemed fairly well priced, IIRC.

The Mizuno S5 is a great wedge. Very confidence inspiring shape and was more forgiving than many of the wedges I played in the past. You also may want to consider the Hogan Equalizers. I went to them straight from the S5's and it was a very seamless transition. Feel like the wedges basically play very close from full shots to chip shots. Hogan's are direct to consumer so are a steal at $100 each with your choice of shafts from what is available on their website. Would not go wrong with either IMO.

I'll answer your Cleveland question here and give some other thoughts. I currently play the RTX 3 CBs and I'm happy with them. I've hit the RTXs as well and the only difference as far as I can tell is the CBs are a tad more forgiving. I also found chips easier with the CBs. With that said, the non-cavity variety feel better, but they both perform great.

If I had to go with another wedge I would probably opt for the T7s.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Sounds as if the grinds you've been using may not fit you.

Forgiveness Feel and Spin -- the Mizuno S5 has forgiveness, and the Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth has forgiveness, and feel. The Ping gives you some shaft options although the AWT 2.0 Wedge is fine at 118g - very useful around greens, may spin a bit much on full shots so I used the Ping Stealth only in 56ES and 60SS - which are my creative wedge lofts.

Out of curiosity I tried a Fourteen RM-22J wedge (I happen to prefer a bit larger, more forgiving wedge) and quickly fell in love with it.

I now have 4 of them and recently picked up a standard RM-22 SW for higher bounce. That wedge is equally excellent and very forgiving.

The retail price for them is crazy high but with patience on eBay I got four of them new for $90 each shipped. The Standard RM-22 cost more at $120 shipped but it came with a custom graphite shaft.

Seen a lot during research and reviews about the Ping Glide (1st version, not 2.0). Very affordable and sound pretty good. Anyone ever use these or have experience with them?

Seen a lot during research and reviews about the Ping Glide (1st version, not 2.0). Very affordable and sound pretty good. Anyone ever use these or have experience with them?

They get very good reviews -- I can tell you that the Glide 2 and Stealth 2.0 are excellent. I am not that familiar with the original Glide other than I've seen nothing negative about them and they have a TS (low bounce) grind. The Glide 2 are Stainless like the Glide 1, which means not a soft feel.

The Stealth 2.0 is made from 8620 steel (softer than stainless) - if you like more feel, then the Stealth 2.0 is the go to softer wedge. The 56 and 60 Stealth also have an extra bottom groove. There is a discernible difference between Stainless and 8620 steel.

The Dylawedge grip with Ping is cool if you like to grip down.

Last edited:
There are better, more accurate, and easier to hit wedges than Vokey. Try hitting a Miura wedge, they are pricey and superior.

What exactly do you mean you have to hit them perfectly to get the results that you need? Do you have an issue with thins and heavy strikes? The vokeys are fairly forgiving if you have the right grind in my opinion, when you have that much loft most of the strikes are going to be a glancing blow meaning the only real thing to worry about is thins and fats.

In terms of forgiveness you can get some wedges that have a larger face which means more hitting area and things with larger soles to help with heavy strikes.

For wedges with a larger hitting some wedges to look at are:
PM Grind
RTX3
S5 and S18

For wedges with more bounce:
Most wedges have a high bounce option but inexpensive ones now:
RTX3 3 dot, Rotex 2 3 dot
Ping Glide WS
Callaway MD3 W-grind

I would say take a look between the RTX3 and Ping Glides. I really enjoyed the RTX3, but it is still a blade style wedge. The pings have a slight cavity.

If you are looking for forgiveness I would stay away from Mizuno T-series wedges. The T-series is small though probably has the best PW replacement I've seen.

What exactly do you mean you have to hit them perfectly to get the results that you need? Do you have an issue with thins and heavy strikes? The vokeys are fairly forgiving if you have the right grind in my opinion, when you have that much loft most of the strikes are going to be a glancing blow meaning the only real thing to worry about is thins and fats.

In terms of forgiveness you can get some wedges that have a larger face which means more hitting area and things with larger soles to help with heavy strikes.

For wedges with a larger hitting some wedges to look at are:
PM Grind
RTX3
S5 and S18

For wedges with more bounce:
Most wedges have a high bounce option but inexpensive ones now:
RTX3 3 dot, Rotex 2 3 dot
Ping Glide WS
Callaway MD3 W-grind

I would say take a look between the RTX3 and Ping Glides. I really enjoyed the RTX3, but it is still a blade style wedge. The pings have a slight cavity.

If you are looking for forgiveness I would stay away from Mizuno T-series wedges. The T-series is small though probably has the best PW replacement I've seen.

Typically when I mishit, it's fat. With the Vokeys, I feel like I have to really hit down on the ball to get it sailing and get some spin, so I end up swinging overly steep. In the past, I've had larger wedges, or at least ones we'd call "more forgiving," that I felt I could put a normal swing on the ball with and get good results.

Typically when I mishit, it's fat. With the Vokeys, I feel like I have to really hit down on the ball to get it sailing and get some spin, so I end up swinging overly steep. In the past, I've had larger wedges, or at least ones we'd call "more forgiving," that I felt I could put a normal swing on the ball with and get good results.

Which grinds do you have on your vokeys?

I'm really sold on the TM milled grind wedge. Forgiving, soft feel and even at 12* of bounce the leading edge was still very close to the ground. This wedge is very versatile.

Just took delivery of new 56° Glide ES today. Weather turning here for the next week+ but I'll be putting it through its paces as soon as I can.

54 degree - S grind
58 degree - M grind

An option would be trying higher bounce. Your i25's have more bounce in your pw.

How does your gap wedge work?

I would probably look at pings if you like how your irons play. The rtx3 could also work, just go with the 3 dot options for more bounce.

An option would be trying higher bounce. Your i25's have more bounce in your pw.

How does your gap wedge work?

I would probably look at pings if you like how your irons play. The rtx3 could also work, just go with the 3 dot options for more bounce.

Right now I'm just using an old gap wedge I've had laying around the house until I decide on which new wedges to get. I used to hit a Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 LW and hit it well. Back in my more strict "budget golf" days, I also had a Dunlop 56* SW, and I honestly hit it better than any other wedge I've ever played (think it was called Dunlop Tour 22 Groove or something). Had a pretty big, round type face as opposed to tear drop. Never had a bad shot with it, but also have no idea what the bounce and/or grind was. I've always struggled with deciding what bounces and grinds to play on wedges, so this input as well as any additional advice is definitely appreciated.

54 degree - S grind
58 degree - M grind

That's a good combo 54/10, 58/08 (if that's it) -- for a neutral swing - you could be a picker. If you're hitting fat and they aren't gliding - you may need more bounce - coming in steep is a kiss of death with that setup.

I am more of a trapper-neutral-shallow divot guy - and when I dig it's because I'm using my arms too much and not turning my lower body. Take a look at a couple of Stan Utley vids on youtube and see if any of that helps. Stan doesn't like keeping any lag on chips/pitches less than 60 yards - he wants you to use your bounce.

I'm just a bit confused - the only thing that makes sense to me is too much use of the arms - which is a common malady with people I see on the range - and first thing I look for with my own swing.

That's a good combo 54/10, 58/08 (if that's it) -- for a neutral swing - you could be a picker. If you're hitting fat and they aren't gliding - you may need more bounce - coming in steep is a kiss of death with that setup.

I am more of a trapper-neutral-shallow divot guy - and when I dig it's because I'm using my arms too much and not turning my lower body. Take a look at a couple of Stan Utley vids on youtube and see if any of that helps. Stan doesn't like keeping any lag on chips/pitches less than 60 yards - he wants you to use your bounce.

I'm just a bit confused - the only thing that makes sense to me is too much use of the arms - which is a common malady with people I see on the range - and first thing I look for with my own swing.

I did some digging, and found that both my previous wedges with which I had success both had 12* of bounce (a 56*/12* and a 60*/12*). Sounds like that might be a bit higher than my two Vokeys, kind of like you were hinting at. These two wedges also had larger, rounder heads that seemed to glide more easily and get the ball up better (for me and my swing at least).

As far as my swing, I definitely have more of a steep swing. I'm 6'3'' and come down more steep than the average swing, especially with wedges since they are shorter. Far from a "sweeper" for sure.

I did some digging, and found that both my previous wedges with which I had success both had 12* of bounce (a 56*/12* and a 60*/12*). Sounds like that might be a bit higher than my two Vokeys, kind of like you were hinting at. These two wedges also had larger, rounder heads that seemed to glide more easily and get the ball up better (for me and my swing at least).

As far as my swing, I definitely have more of a steep swing. I'm 6'3'' and come down more steep than the average swing, especially with wedges since they are shorter. Far from a "sweeper" for sure.

Sounds as if you are a candidate for a 56-12 F or S Grind grind and 60-12 D Grind in SM7.

Wedges are very personal - I played the SM7 for several months but around the greens, they look a little big to me. I went with the Ping Stealth 2.0 because the black made them look smaller and I liked the grinds better. Just must find what fits you. Good luck.

I still use the 2 dot cleveland rtx 2. The medium bounce option, if you want a quick test of a wedge find one of them on ebay and then you will know whether you like the 'look' of cleveland wedges.
I find they look less intimidating than the sharp edges of the vokey wedges

I still use the 2 dot cleveland rtx 2. The medium bounce option, if you want a quick test of a wedge find one of them on ebay and then you will know whether you like the 'look' of cleveland wedges.
I find they look less intimidating than the sharp edges of the vokey wedges

SM7's are not sharp - it's a rolled leading edge. But low bounce will make it seem sharp if you come in steep. I had some Japanese low bounce wedges with a sharp leading edge about 15 yrs ago -- you could cut a loaf of bread with them - that's sharp.

Sounds as if you are a candidate for a 56-12 F or S Grind grind and 60-12 D Grind in SM7.

Wedges are very personal - I played the SM7 for several months but around the greens, they look a little big to me. I went with the Ping Stealth 2.0 because the black made them look smaller and I liked the grinds better. Just must find what fits you. Good luck.

After doing some research and looking at everything, I definitely think the bounce is a major issue. Turns out my 8 iron through PW have as much or more bounce as my SW and LW. Definitely not good. Going to start looking for something that will offer a higher degree of bounce. Probably look into PING Glide, Cleveland RTX 3.0 and RTX 3.0 CB, and Mizuno S5 to start. All offer good combinations of loft and bounce as well as forgiveness that I believe would help me.

I've got 14* of bounce on my SM7s and that helps prevent digging on soft ground which there was a lot of this past year in NJ.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Played SM6 and RTX-3 before, currently Mizuno S18. Very happy with them for the past year, feel great and go well.

Back