Good driver when hit low on face?

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone come across any driver that retains any decent ball speed and spin when hit low in the face?
I usually hit my 3 woods and mini drivers right in the middle of the face, but I tend to suck with drivers because I hit them low/heel most of the time due to swing flaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good driver when hit low on face?

No driver will be all that great with that hit...but the Great Big Bertha has had some of the best retainment of ball speed on misses that I have found. A couple other good options out there as well, so hopefully a few others can throw out some other good ones

Tee it up!

Tee it up!

That's actually great advice. My biggest fault is maintaining spine angle and when it's especially bad I fix it on the course by teeing it up so the bottom of the ball is equal to or above the crown of the driver. :act-up:

The problem is that even if you retain ball speeds the spin numbers you will generate from hitting below the CG will kill your distance anyway. I would definitely try teeing it up higher or something to solve that issue.

I actually have even tried teeing witth the 4 inch long drive tees, but my brain has this glitch that makes me pull up prior to impact when teeing up.

What do I see as I return from the garage hitting into my net working on my tendency to hit the driver high on the club face towards the toe...a low on the heel thread.

But no, I wouldn't trade ya:)

High toe would be a dream right now!

There are two schools of thought here.
1. Find a driver with the lowest CG possible, so the weight is below the ball off the tee.
2. Find a driver with moveable mass to be near your miss.

Both of these work, but if you are teeing it up as high as stated, and still hitting it low, a new driver is most likely not going to fix this.

Has anyone come across any driver that retains any decent ball speed and spin when hit low in the face?
I usually hit my 3 woods and mini drivers right in the middle of the face, but I tend to suck with drivers because I hit them low/heel most of the time due to swing flaws.

IIRC the Jetspeed was supposed to have a lot of help low on the face.

Some impact tape, or a can of Dr. Scholls foot spray will help. spray the face of the club when you practice on the range. It wipes off with a damp cloth.

I'd get with a professional and take a few driver lessons. It's the most difficult club in your bag to hit properly. One of the reasons that 3W and mini-drivers are easier to hit is their loft. Most are around 15 degrees. A driver on the other hand is usually around 10.5. If you deloft your 3W 5 degrees you're still hitting it +10 degrees and putting a ton of spin on it to keep it in the air. A driver gets delofted to 6.5 degrees which is very difficult to get into the air unless you have a very high SS. So it's all about angle of attack and consistency of swing. Here's a few videos about driver that might help.

[video=youtube;72-UFjSlpvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72-UFjSlpvM[/video]

The 816 DBD lets you position the weight up or down to adjust for low or high hits off the face. I tee the ball up quite high so have the weight up.

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses!
What is the driver with the lowest CG in the market?

Ping G? Cobra King?

Cobra KING LTD

If you make it out to a THP Event, you can test one out on the course if you would like.

Some impact tape, or a can of Dr. Scholls foot spray will help. spray the face of the club when you practice on the range. It wipes off with a damp cloth.

I'd get with a professional and take a few driver lessons. It's the most difficult club in your bag to hit properly. One of the reasons that 3W and mini-drivers are easier to hit is their loft. Most are around 15 degrees. A driver on the other hand is usually around 10.5. If you deloft your 3W 5 degrees you're still hitting it +10 degrees and putting a ton of spin on it to keep it in the air. A driver gets delofted to 6.5 degrees which is very difficult to get into the air unless you have a very high SS. So it's all about angle of attack and consistency of swing. Here's a few videos about driver that might help.

[video=youtube;72-UFjSlpvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72-UFjSlpvM[/video]

After watching the 3rd video, maybe I should just practice perfecting that impact location with the GBB...hitting into a net I can tell I'm hitting it solid, but without ball-flight you always wonder.

I found the Aeroburner to be less punishing than most when I caught it low on the face.

bstone j815

Back