Putting Mat recommendations

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
Looking for a decent putting mat for indoors during the winter. I've bought the regular old rolled up boxed ones from department stores before, but they never lay flat since they've been rolled up for so long. Any recommendations out there for putting mats that are good quality but won't break the bank money wise?

I have the Putt Out mat along with the pressure trainer. I use it all the time and like it a lot. I roll it up for a while and it works fine when I get it back out.

I have the 11ft Wellput.com putting mat. I really like mine. And have heard good things about the PuttOut mat as well.
79bbc786dfe5157733cb5b8e4fd81393.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have the 21ft Wellput.com putting mat. I really like mine. And have heard good things about the PuttOut mat as well.
79bbc786dfe5157733cb5b8e4fd81393.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I wish the Putt Out mat was available in a longer length.

I've had a birdieball for over 3 years now and I love it. Rolls great. You can draw lines on it to put from different distances. Holes on both ends to putt/chip back and forth. And my robotic vacuum cleans it well without ruining it.

Wellput here as well.

I have been using a Big Moss putting green for about 10 years. Rolls well and obviously quite durable.

I have been using a Big Moss putting green for about 10 years. Rolls well and obviously quite durable.
I've also had a Big Moss for years and years too. As to its impressive durability, I have three large dogs that like to lay all over it and one who'll scratch at it sometimes prior to him laying down. Hate when he does that and try to keep him/them off but regardless, the Big Moss is none the worse for wear. Dog hair vacuums right off too, just need to hit it from different directions.

Only boxed it up this year when the backyard putting green was installed in May.

A Big Moss can be pricey but I've seen some here and there on Craigslist for very cheap.

I was about to buy a Big Moss but instead went cheap and bought the Putt-A-Bout, which has good reviews on Amazon. I wasn't expecting much, and I've only had it for two months, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

I've had a birdieball for over 3 years now and I love it. Rolls great. You can draw lines on it to put from different distances. Holes on both ends to putt/chip back and forth. And my robotic vacuum cleans it well without ruining it.

I knew this would be mentioned. For me, it's too cheap for the actual cost of it. To me it's like Styrofoam. If I had a chance to go back and purchase this again, I WOULD NOT!

For myself I called around to a whole bunch of the indoor golf turf guys. One of them had a remnant, it was 40" x 14', and runs around 10 stimp. Perfect for my area. Think it was around $120.00. Maybe worth looking for a pc.

I looked at several options, including Big Moss, Provoto, Tour Links and TrueLine. I evaluated where it could fit in my house. I found a flat surface about 15 feet long and 28" wide. Finally, I wanted something as realistic as possible with a Stimp around 10-11.

I would up getting this, which comes with a stance mat and a 10-year warranty:

https://proputtsystems.com/shop/11-foot-practice-strip/

Because it does not have holes, I also got these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C3P4XJS
https://www.amazon.com/PuttOut-Pressure-Putt-Trainer-Perfect/dp/B01N9BXYW3/

Finally, because it does not have a backstop, I got this which I will cut down to 2'. Also got a couple of extra 3' pieces for side railing:

https://buy.tigerwooddecking.com/p-727-2-x-2-tigerwood.aspx

$260 total.

I knew this would be mentioned. For me, it's too cheap for the actual cost of it. To me it's like Styrofoam. If I had a chance to go back and purchase this again, I WOULD NOT!

I personally love my BirdieBall mat. Feels and rolls true in my opinion. I putted on it all winter and seem to have picked right up on the course.

I have not tried any others tho so I can't add on that.

Green1.jpg

I was about to buy a Big Moss but instead went cheap and bought the Putt-A-Bout, which has good reviews on Amazon. I wasn't expecting much, and I've only had it for two months, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far.

This is what I did, including Amazon. I think the Putt-A-Bout is a good product and I'm happy with it. BUT:
I got a puttout pressure trainer to go with it, and with puttout mat and mirror... I wish I went that route. Still headed there.

New ProPutt training turf arrived! Putts great right out of the box.

Turf doesn't move around - stays put.

I put a ball in the "perfect putt" hole of the Puttout trainer, nudged it out, and it rolled 17 inches.

This confirms my "feel" that the turf putts a good speed. Not too slow. Not too slick. I am guessing a 10 stimp.

Still need to cut the backstop 2x2 to 2 feet. The 2x2 works great as a border to keep the balls in check.

I added a $10 SKLZ putt pocket bringing the cost to $270. I like this better than the T Max Cups.

Right now, with my current furniture arrangement, I can practice 3-4 footers and 7-9 footers with the stand mat. But I can move the turf around to get distances in between.

98o2uat74dua.jpg

8gldvhoavm31.jpg

d0a87oy6xgbl.jpg

Looks great! I have a Pro Putt green that I installed a couple weeks ago and I love it - should have done it last summer when we moved into the house.

I picked one up from Golftown and I cannot remember what the name was, but it's 8 feet long by about 18 inches wide, and I have a spot where I put it right by our front door. It sure helped me realize how some builders can do shoddy work because if I don't put in in just the right place the ball breaks from right to left pretty good haha.

I'm trying to decide between Big Moss and DW Quail. Anyone have experience with the latter?

Back