Cleveland Smart Sole 2.0 Wedge Preview

After reading every post in the long SS 1.0 Wedge review thread and I'm serivously pondering the SS 2.0 C & S wedges. I do love the new black finish, but I wish there were some SS 2.0 THP reviews here to validate my ponder.

Anyone know of any changes that were made in 2.0 that negatively affect the performance of the new wedges?

Edit: I found the new features/changes in the OP but i would love to read some user experiences and comments here.

Last edited:
This one will be acquired.

Had the older version in the bag instead of my regular 58* today and it was just stupid easy to game.

Yeah, it's ugly, but it just works.

I've been fighting the chunks a bit lately, and this just takes it away.

Even with the massive sole, I'm always amazed at how easy it is to open or close the face to play whatever shot I need.

This one will be acquired.

Had the older version in the bag instead of my regular 58* today and it was just stupid easy to game.

Yeah, it's ugly, but it just works.

I've been fighting the chunks a bit lately, and this just takes it away.

Even with the massive sole, I'm always amazed at how easy it is to open or close the face to play whatever shot I need.

You know that it will start to look a whole lot better to you watching your score drop.

I purchased both the S and C 2.0 last week. My short games has been killing me and I was looking for a way to improve. I hit them at the range a few days ago and really liked what they did. A full swing with the C is a nice 100-110 yard shot. Chipping is effortless on shots around the green. The S wedge on a full swing for me was around 60 yards. I played a quick 9 holes with them today so I could try them on in actual play. The C saved me several strokes around the green on chip shots that I would normally blade from one side of the green to the other. On the last par 5 of the day I hit an impressive drive followed by an equally impressive (for me) second shot with my hybrid leaving me about a 20 yard chip for my first ever chance at an eagle. I can honestly say I felt confident chipping with the C and not worried about hitting the ball wrong and it go flying across the green and ruin my hole. I didn't make the eagle but I did leave it close enough for a birdie. As for the S wedge it worked well also. My only problem with it is that I need more practice judging the distance in relation to my swing. I hit a few that carried the green. Towards the end I was getting better judging the distance, I just need to hit it some more to get the feel of it. As for the sand it got me out quicker than any other club I have tried. Again I need more practice/ instruction on how to hit out of the bunker. By far my weakest part of my game. Don't expect the black coloring to stay on very long hitting out of the sand. I can already see it wearing on mine. Its not a big deal to me but just putting it out there. Overall I expect to see my scores improve over the next few rounds. I said in another post on these if you are thinking about getting them to improve your short game I would say go for it.

Glad to see you have found them helpful for your game. They are great wedges.

My only issue with the C wedge was the length of it on full swings. I wish it was a traditional length.

Glad to see you have found them helpful for your game. They are great wedges.

My only issue with the C wedge was the length of it on full swings. I wish it was a traditional length.

I found the same thing. It was tough to stay down through the ball with the 34" length.

I bought the first version Niblick 37* for chipping and 9i duties and replaced the SMart Sole C.

So is the S only good for bunkers then? I am looking for a solid option from 75 yds and in, greenside, and bunkers.

So is the S only good for bunkers then? I am looking for a solid option from 75 yds and in, greenside, and bunkers.

From what others have previously stated you should be able to use it 75 yards and in. I'm sure others will confirm.

I think both War Eagle and I saw some quality with short shots all around the green. Not sure we tried too many full swings.

I would say the S is good from 75 and in as stated. I used it today to hit shots around the green over bunkers and such.

Smart sole S is probably the easiest 58* I've tried when hitting full shots. For me I get about 70 yds with it. I found it great on partial pitches too. I use either it or my Niblick 49* depending on the type of shot I need.

Last edited:

Decided to black mine out today.
Black Armor Iomic grip and a black shaft wrap.
9cd080a3dc75f7a5d6876b546b2d0b47.jpg
28cff16cc6a5fe86d62d1d598df9b5a4.jpg
f3035256c0528d4d7f11077717192dfe.jpg

c66d34cbf8fc861934b749f9784757d2.jpg

I think both War Eagle and I saw some quality with short shots all around the green. Not sure we tried too many full swings.

Like JB said, it was great for all kinds of shots, not just bunkers. I rarely took a full swing with it, however. Not because of the club, but because I rarely take a full swing with a high lofted wedge.

That look is incredible. Thanks for sharing...

That look is incredible. Thanks for sharing...

Thanks
Did the same thing to my MXM7 putter last week. It's posted in the putter what are you gaming thread.

I just took a look at your putter...flippin awesome.

Decided to black mine out today.
Black Armor Iomic grip and a black shaft wrap.
9cd080a3dc75f7a5d6876b546b2d0b47.jpg
28cff16cc6a5fe86d62d1d598df9b5a4.jpg
f3035256c0528d4d7f11077717192dfe.jpg

c66d34cbf8fc861934b749f9784757d2.jpg

Nice! They look like stealth wedges. Flying under the radar.

I am curious. Do you open the face on the S for bunker shots or just hit it like you would a normal shot?

I am curious. Do you open the face on the S for bunker shots or just hit it like you would a normal shot?

For me I leave the face square...the wide sole keeps you from having to open up the face.

To get out of a sand bunker the most consistent advise given is to position your club face and stance square to the target line, with the ball positioned in the middle of your stance. Hit down just behind the ball versus trying to "splash" it out as you would with a conventional sand wedge. It's important to swing to a full finish. Your weight should be evenly balanced.

If the ball is near the lip. Move the ball up forward in your stance and your weight shifted to your back foot using a regular chipping style swing to pop the ball straight up. There is no need to manipulate the club face.

With a little bit of practice you should be soon be making a lot more green side and bunker saves.

To get out of a sand bunker the most consistent advise given is to position your club face and stance square to the target line, with the ball positioned in the middle of your stance. Hit down just behind the ball versus trying to "splash" it out as you would with a conventional sand wedge. It's important to swing to a full finish. Your weight should be evenly balanced.

If the ball is near the lip. Move the ball up forward in your stance and your weight shifted to your back foot using a regular chipping style swing to pop the ball straight up. There is no need to manipulate the club face.

With a little bit of practice you should be soon be making a lot more green side and bunker saves.

Nice description....pretty much what I do.....getting out of the bunker is stupid easy with a Smart Sole wedge

Thanks
I need to try this. I get the ball out but have a hard time getting any height on my shot so it usually runs through the green. I was playing the ball forward with my SS S and usually just try and stab behind the ball with an outside in path steep blow.

@War Eagle...

Have you noticed any differences between the 2.0 and the previous generation Smart Sole wedges?

@War Eagle...

Have you noticed any differences between the 2.0 and the previous generation Smart Sole wedges?
No sir, I have not. Although, I like the black finish a lot more than the previous model.

Back