Will we ever see the Mini Driver fad return?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Thinking about this with the BST add that is up, I for one LOVED the mini driver, but moved away as time went on, as did the industry apparently. But, do you think we ever see it make a comeback?

Why? Why not?

haha I still use the SLDR mini and the Aeroburner mini driver!

I think the biggest issue with the mini driver is that it cemented itself as a tee-only club or driver replacement. It was an industry trend. I think the closest we'll get back to the mini-driver trend will be the Thriver or deep face fairways.

Probably the industry is very cyclical.

I’m firmly entrenched in the Double Driver Camp though

I had a hiatus from golf between 2009 and 2016, which must be when this mini- driver phase occurred. I don’t really remember them before when I was playing and didn’t see much talk or use of them after I began playing again in 2016.

Although many products recycle, I would bet my money on mini drivers being a thing of the past. The reason is that technology, such as Jailbreak, makes a low lofted 3 wood very friendly off the tee. 3 wood used to be my worst club in the bag. Unless a 3 wood was required by the hole due to a dogleg or trouble within driver distance, I would always hit driver. It was just straighter for me off the tee with its extra size. Now, however, I feel I can almost always hit the fairway with a 3 wood and they have gotten to where some are almost as long as driver. I don’t feel I am penalized for distance hitting 3 wood off the tee. That being the case, the 13.5 to 14 degree 3 wood also gives me a better option off the fairway to attack long par 5s, something I would not use if the spot were taken by a mini driver.

I had a hiatus from golf between 2009 and 2016, which must be when this mini- driver phase occurred. I don’t really remember them before when I was playing and didn’t see much talk or use of them after I began playing again in 2016.

Although many products recycle, I would bet my money on mini drivers being a thing of the past. The reason is that technology, such as Jailbreak, makes a low lofted 3 wood very friendly off the tee. 3 wood used to be my worst club in the bag. Unless a 3 wood was required by the hole due to a dogleg or trouble within driver distance, I would always hit driver. It was just straighter for me off the tee with its extra size. Now, however, I feel I can almost always hit the fairway with a 3 wood and they have gotten to where some are almost as long as driver. I don’t feel I am penalized for distance hitting 3 wood off the tee. That being the case, the 13.5 to 14 degree 3 wood also gives me a better option off the fairway to attack long par 5s, something I would not use if the spot were taken by a mini driver.

Yeah, your hiatus was exactly during the mini driver time.
It was a neat club but left me wanting for more distance. I think the industry won't go back to a mini driver but there will be plenty of strong 3w options.

Could you imagine a 260ish CC head with Jail Break - Yikes!
I say it does return as PGA Tour courses don't go longer but tighter.

I still bag the Bertha Mini from time to time for a little change. I have the 14* head and just consider it a higher cc head than a typical 3 wood. I kind of doubt it will be a fad again. Strong 3W lofts will continue to be available for those that prefer to hit a club with just a little more loft than driver off the tee.

Absolutely. Everything is cyclical and there's enough people out there who swear by them that will be up for something new in a couple years.

If jean jackets can make a comeback, then I'd say mini-drivers can, too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Played with a buddy about 2 months ago and he carries a Taylormade mini driver as his driver. He can hit it just about as long as I hit my driver and he keeps it on the planet. For whatever reason he has never been able to keep a standard driver in play because he is just so inconsistent with the accuracy.

I don't think so. Pros and higher swing speed players are currently adding loft to their 3 woods because fairway woods are going farther than ever before. Short par 4's are tackled more frequently by driving irons than 3 woods. I can't see there being a notable market for something that sits between a 3 wood and a driver, especially as we're getting more and more ball speed from fairway woods anyway. But I've been wrong before.

I think the more tee-focused 3W's and strong 3W's should fill the niche. I have a TM Aeroburner Mini 16* and I still stick it in the bag occasionally on really tight courses instead of my 3W, because it's so easy to hit it straight off the tee, but as stated, I use it basically as a 3W, not a driver.

I agree with others in that a properly fitted 2nd driver with a shorter shaft and higher loft makes more sense than a mini driver if you're looking for a tee-only club that flies shorter than driver. If you want to preserve turf usability in that situation, then you go for a 3W.

As someone who is less confident off a tee with a driver, maybe. As someone who isn't comfortable hitting a FW/hybrid off a tee or turf, absolutely!!!

Can’t see a return of the mini driver with driver fittings and more ‘short’ driver options like the Fusion and Cobra Tour length drivers. 200-250cc heads at 43,5” never made much sense to me when you can shorten a driver and get a much easier to hit 460cc head.

What id like to see is 400-460cc 43” 14-16* options. Something similar to the old Cleveland Hibore 2w aka the Unicorn.

My Mini 1.5 is in the bag. I may replace it with a deep faced strong 3 wood if I can find one I love but for now it's my go to club off the tee about 6-8 times per round.

I never moved away Hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know some are all up on the just add a second driver thing, but for some of us that’s just not a comfortable or viable option.

I’m far more accurate with a smaller head on narrow driving holes, I know, I know, I’ve been told a hundred times by people that makes no sense just like how smaller irons bring me more focus in my iron game, but it’s true, so sue me.

Also, mini drivers for me always were still at least somewhat viable off the deck, THPers saw what I could do with the 1.5 off the deck in the past.

I’ve considered picking up an aero burner mini and hot melting the shite out of it, but, meh.

Either way, I think it’s a fun convo, and personally I think we do see them return at some point down the road.

Like Tenputt, I was out of golf for a while and have just jumped back in this year. I missed the mini driver fad. Sounds awesome though. I know that I have some old 300cc drivers in the shed that I hit very well. I mean they are super straight, but they give up a lot of distance.

Thinking about this with the BST add that is up, I for one LOVED the mini driver, but moved away as time went on, as did the industry apparently. But, do you think we ever see it make a comeback?

Why? Why not?

I think the problem with past "mini drivers" is that the club head size is too small and they were marketed as "second drivers and, or, 3 wood replacements", neither of which makes good sense.
The "mini driver" that would likely sell better is a product in the 390Cc to 410CC head size range, designed and produced using current available technology.

I have the aeroburner mini 12 degree stiff shaft
&
The SLDR 12 degree with extra stiff shaft with a shorter shaft
AjfHtc8.gif
paSbck5.jpg

depends on the whole I guess

I’m better off with another wedge or hybrid. Mini, Max , Mid, I don’t drive the ball consistent enough to pull a mini with confidence.

I definitely think it will come back at some point, it just seems like something that will cycle back around and be an attention grabber again.

Although I guess I don't know how well they sold the first time around? I had one for a short experiment but didn't see enough from it to give it a spot over the 3 wood.

It may come back around, but most companies are making clubs such as the G400 Stretch 3W that serves as two clubs. If they can find a way to market the product into money then yes, but I don't know how likely that will be.

I think the problem with past "mini drivers" is that the club head size is too small and they were marketed as "second drivers and, or, 3 wood replacements", neither of which makes good sense.
The "mini driver" that would likely sell better is a product in the 390Cc to 410CC head size range, designed and produced using current available technology.

I’m with you on this. I had the SLDR and wished the head was a little larger.

Back