Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 69

Thread: Going Lefty.....with GoingLefty

  1. #16
    Remember to smile leftshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,776
    Member
    38922
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    160
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    621
    Thanked in
    466 Posts
    GoingLefty, want to see you succeed. I ruptured a disc many years ago and can now say I've played golf pain-free for years. Want the same for you!

    Do you get any more pain from the compression fracture? If so, where do you feel it? What disc and which side hurts? On the osteoporosis, you can grow new bone with specific exercises and nutrition. If you aren't aware of that and want more information PM me.
    R15 Driver - Rogue Fairway Metal - 5DX IronWood 3 & 4 Hybrids - AP2 716 with KBS Tour 90 Taper regular 4-9 irons - Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 & Pro V1 ball - Scottsdale Pickemup Putter

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to leftshot For This Useful Post:

    GoingLefty (12-24-2018)

  3. #17
    Mini Tour Player Doubleb21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    722
    Member
    50153
    Handicap
    25.1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,829
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    543
    Thanked in
    306 Posts
    Welcome to THP and good luck!
    Driver- Epic Flash with a Hzrdus Smoke shaft
    Fairway-TBD
    Hybrid- Big Bertha 4-5
    Irons- Big bertha 6-AW
    Wedges- MD4 52/s-grind 56/PM grind 60/PM grind
    Iron Shafts- Recoil
    Putter- Sigma 2 anser
    Bag- C-130

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doubleb21 For This Useful Post:

    GoingLefty (12-24-2018)

  5. #18
    Junior Golfer GoingLefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    88
    Member
    51200
    Handicap
    36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leftshot View Post
    GoingLefty, want to see you succeed. I ruptured a disc many years ago and can now say I've played golf pain-free for years. Want the same for you!

    Do you get any more pain from the compression fracture? If so, where do you feel it? What disc and which side hurts? On the osteoporosis, you can grow new bone with specific exercises and nutrition. If you aren't aware of that and want more information PM me.
    That's great to hear you are playing pain free, that's my plan as well. I have almost zero pain from the fracture now. Some chairs or stools will be tiring and uncomfortable but otherwise I'm good. It was my L1 and L2. I am on a nutrition plan for my osteo (though with the hollidays...) and also my physio has given me an exercise regime to do. Recently been able to increase it as well. I do a lot of mobility work but for bone growth its mostly walking and weight bearing exercises. Lots of planks, squats and lunges. I've added weights to these exercises in the last few weeks (well not planks).

  6. #19
    Junior Golfer GoingLefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    88
    Member
    51200
    Handicap
    36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Well I ended up getting a golf bag yesterday (Wilson Lite) on sale and a couple of golf shirts. So I have a bag now, a putter and a sand wedge. Irons, Woods and shoes will be next. Any of you guys have good rec's for really stable shoes? I have been scouting FJ's top of the line model and some Ecco's. I'm going to get used clubs I'm pretty sure to save on the cost but stability is not something I'm going to scrimp on for obvious reasons.

    Otherwise Christmas went well, I kept up with my exercise program and even managed to lose a bit of weight. That's a first haha. Hope all had a good holiday!

  7. #20
    Major Champion skinsscalper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Show Low, AZ
    Posts
    1,182
    Member
    44393
    Handicap
    28.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,200
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    802
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingLefty View Post
    Well I ended up getting a golf bag yesterday (Wilson Lite) on sale and a couple of golf shirts. So I have a bag now, a putter and a sand wedge. Irons, Woods and shoes will be next. Any of you guys have good rec's for really stable shoes? I have been scouting FJ's top of the line model and some Ecco's. I'm going to get used clubs I'm pretty sure to save on the cost but stability is not something I'm going to scrimp on for obvious reasons.

    Otherwise Christmas went well, I kept up with my exercise program and even managed to lose a bit of weight. That's a first haha. Hope all had a good holiday!
    Good news, GL. I'm really interested in your journey and I think I can speak for most of us when I say I wish you the best in your journey. I'm also a right handed person who plays left handed. I do everything in my life right handed except golf, swing a bat, and fish. My left handed tendency started before I even knew there was a left and right hand way to do things. My uncles were big fans of Sal Bando when he played for the Oakland As. Sal was a left handed batter. They put a bat (not even sure if was actually a bat) in my hands at about two years old, put me on the left side of the plate, and my swing started from there. A little league coach (knowing that I did everything else right handed) tried to get me to swing from the other side of the plate (I don't know why considering lefties have an advantage against right handed pitchers) and it felt too awkward, so I've swung lefty for as long as I've been able to swing anything.

    Keep us posted on your progress. This will be an interesting follow, for sure. Good luck.
    WITB LEFTY
    Driver GBB Epic 9 degree HZRDUS 55 (R-Flex)
    3 Wood X 15 degree (R-Flex)
    5 Wood Big Bertha Steelhead Plus 18 degree (R-Flex)
    X 2 HOT PRO 3 Hybrid
    Irons Apex Forged 4-PW (R-Flex)
    Wedges CBX 50 and 54
    Putter Rossa Daytona 1 CGB 34"

    Working on limiting my GRRRS in regulation


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to skinsscalper For This Useful Post:

    GoingLefty (12-29-2018)

  9. #21
    RIP Mario 2006-2012 Canio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stockholm, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    6,389
    Member
    1000
    Handicap
    17
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,504
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,033
    Thanked in
    928 Posts
    Welcome to THP! Really looking forward to your journey!
    Driver: GBB Epic with the Kuro Kage 60G Stiff flex
    3W: GBB Epic with the Pro 72 Stiff flex
    7W: Great Big Bertha Heaven Wood with Kuro Kage Stiff shaft
    2H: GBB Epic with the Recoil ES 780 F4
    3H:Rogue with the Synergy Stiff Flex
    4H:Rogue with the Synergy Stiff Flex
    Irons: Rogue X 4-G with Recoil ES 760 F3 shafts
    Wedges: CG15 56* and CG15 60*

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Canio For This Useful Post:

    GoingLefty (12-29-2018)

  11. #22
    Junior Golfer jints07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ
    Posts
    134
    Member
    21866
    Handicap
    15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    35
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Wishing you the best of luck. Pain and injury free is definitely objective one above all else even if it means significantly higher scores. You'll still be out on the golf course! And who knows, due to a million other variables, you may even be better than right handed.

    I am a lefty that plays golf righty, and swinging a baseball bat and golf club are literally the only things I do righty. The one bit of advice I would offer as a fellow "opposite hander" is that it is unfortunately so easy to let the non dominant hand (i.e. my right, your left) get really really lazy in the swing and just go along for the ride since as the non dominant hand it is already accustomed to sort of just being along for the ride. I would encourage you to exaggerate using it early on to "groove" that hand's participation! Obviously we're all different but just a nugget that may help.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to jints07 For This Useful Post:

    GoingLefty (12-29-2018)

  13. #23
    Junior Golfer GoingLefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    88
    Member
    51200
    Handicap
    36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skinsscalper View Post
    Good news, GL. I'm really interested in your journey and I think I can speak for most of us when I say I wish you the best in your journey. I'm also a right handed person who plays left handed. I do everything in my life right handed except golf, swing a bat, and fish. My left handed tendency started before I even knew there was a left and right hand way to do things. My uncles were big fans of Sal Bando when he played for the Oakland As. Sal was a left handed batter. They put a bat (not even sure if was actually a bat) in my hands at about two years old, put me on the left side of the plate, and my swing started from there. A little league coach (knowing that I did everything else right handed) tried to get me to swing from the other side of the plate (I don't know why considering lefties have an advantage against right handed pitchers) and it felt too awkward, so I've swung lefty for as long as I've been able to swing anything.

    Keep us posted on your progress. This will be an interesting follow, for sure. Good luck.
    Thanks man, it really is encouraging hearing how many of you guys have been able to adapt to your non dominant hand in sports. My Dad was left-handed, I figure that's gotta help me right haha?

    Thanks again for the support this place is great, wish I would have found it sooner.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingLefty For This Useful Post:

    skinsscalper (01-23-2019)

  15. #24
    Junior Golfer GoingLefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    88
    Member
    51200
    Handicap
    36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canio View Post
    Welcome to THP! Really looking forward to your journey!
    Cheers, appreciate it

  16. #25
    Junior Golfer GoingLefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    88
    Member
    51200
    Handicap
    36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jints07 View Post
    Wishing you the best of luck. Pain and injury free is definitely objective one above all else even if it means significantly higher scores. You'll still be out on the golf course! And who knows, due to a million other variables, you may even be better than right handed.

    I am a lefty that plays golf righty, and swinging a baseball bat and golf club are literally the only things I do righty. The one bit of advice I would offer as a fellow "opposite hander" is that it is unfortunately so easy to let the non dominant hand (i.e. my right, your left) get really really lazy in the swing and just go along for the ride since as the non dominant hand it is already accustomed to sort of just being along for the ride. I would encourage you to exaggerate using it early on to "groove" that hand's participation! Obviously we're all different but just a nugget that may help.
    Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind. Pain and injury free is the constant goal, if I can't play that way then this thread might end early, but I'm pretty sure I'll figure a way out. I am cautiously optimistic.

  17. #26
    Junior Golfer GoingLefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    88
    Member
    51200
    Handicap
    36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    So I have my first lesson coming up on Monday. Still have not hit a ball so that will be my first time (golf dome as it's winter here, I think I'm going to film it so if I do I'll post the swing here). I still just have the wedge and putter and have been hesitating on the irons because, well I need to make sure I can hit balls first. My exercise program continues and I've added some equipment. More mobility tools and some bands for strength training etc.

    I have been thinking of getting graphite in all my clubs just to help with my back, but I'm not sure if it will help. I would have to think something lighter would put less force on my spine no? Anyone have any insight on this?

  18. #27
    Junior Golfer GoingLefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    88
    Member
    51200
    Handicap
    36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Ok, just had my first lesson and hit my first golf ball in 19 months!

    I worked out a bit too hard yesterday out of excitement I think and woke up with a stiff upper back. I did a bunch of stretching to work it out and it was mostly gone by the time the lesson rolled around at 10:30am. It's winter here so it was at a golf dome.

    Anyway Ron was really great and we were on completely the same page. We spent a lot of time talking about his ideas around the swing and how he's in favor of very minimal mechanical instruction (thank you baby jesus). He talked about being relaxed, feeling the club etc. He demonstrated a bunch of his ideas himself, hitting shots left and right handed. I really loved the approach and am grateful he's in my home city.

    Here's a video of his for those interested:

    I tried to video my lesson and was going to upload my swing here but the camera on my phone kept shutting off and I didn't get it!

    We spent most of the lesson talking and then just swinging the club to see how fast I could go without any pain. I started with my sand wedge and then he gave me a 7 iron. I was able to get it going pretty fast with no pain! Yes!

    We didn't hit any balls until the end and I only hit 4 I think. It was a big moment for me, 19 months since I hit the last one and ended up in the hospital. I was a tad nervous haha .

    The first one I made decent contact but thinned it. The second was better but I was still tensed up and it wasn't much of a shot. Same on the third. The fourth I hit it flush, nice and relaxed and it went dead straight, nice trajectory about (to Ron's eye) 145 yards. Zero pain. I can play golf with that! I was only swinging about 70% speed wise at that point. We had built up over the lesson from slow to that. He's 100% on board about my back health being #1 and so we left it at that for the lesson. We will very gradually take the speed up as we go.

    I was shocked that 2 hours had gone by. He only charged me for an hour lesson too. What a great guy. I booked a package of 10 lessons at $50 a lesson. Every Monday I'll be going to see him and I'm really thankful and encouraged to have found someone that teaches in line with my thoughts. The conversation was great too, I wouldn't mind seeing if he's up for an interview at some point.

    Anyway thanks for reading, it's a great damn day for this guy! Going to go stretch out again now. Cheers all!

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingLefty For This Useful Post:

    skinsscalper (01-23-2019)

  20. #28
    Major Champion OGputtnfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Edmond, Oklahoma (NW OKC)
    Posts
    4,778
    Member
    47284
    Handicap
    -13.9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,133
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,150
    Thanked in
    1,349 Posts
    @GoingLefty

    Have you picked up any clubs yet? If not, let me know. I have a set that I built for my son. He's 17 now and shows no interest in golf whatsoever anymore. I can't remember exactly what all is included, but I think it's 5w, 7w, 28 wood, 3h, 5h, 6-PW, SW and putter. I also have a 13 Nike driver from c. 2006ish. If you have any interest, I could make you a deal that'll get you started without spending too much money and leave you plenty of budget to replace/upgrade clubs as you improve OR keep you from spending too much if you should decide to go back to RH after this season.
    C130 bag & Speedcart:
    M1 440 9.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 @ 44"
    Rogue 3wd w/ AccuFLEX Evo R+
    SLDR 3h w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X
    Dynacraft Genesis 4h w/ PX LZ 6.0
    Dynacraft Prophet MB 5-GW w/ PX LZ 6.0
    Dynacraft DM Forged SW (54)/LW (60) Tour R (4.0)
    TV Align Midsize & ChromeSoft X / Snell MTB (Black/Red)
    MentorSports Duet USA Flag 3.0
    ---
    ISO: 75g-85g XStiff fairway shafts minimum 41" long

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to OGputtnfool For This Useful Post:

    GoingLefty (01-07-2019)

  22. #29
    Junior Golfer GoingLefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    88
    Member
    51200
    Handicap
    36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OGputtnfool View Post
    @GoingLefty

    Have you picked up any clubs yet? If not, let me know. I have a set that I built for my son. He's 17 now and shows no interest in golf whatsoever anymore. I can't remember exactly what all is included, but I think it's 5w, 7w, 28 wood, 3h, 5h, 6-PW, SW and putter. I also have a 13 Nike driver from c. 2006ish. If you have any interest, I could make you a deal that'll get you started without spending too much money and leave you plenty of budget to replace/upgrade clubs as you improve OR keep you from spending too much if you should decide to go back to RH after this season.
    I have my eye on a used set of Pings with graphite shafts but what type of clubs are they? PM me if you like, I might be interested.

    Got this golf bag today in the mail. Got it because of the weight. Less than 5lbs. Looks like pretty good quality too considering it was less than $100.


  23. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingLefty For This Useful Post:

    skinsscalper (01-23-2019)

  24. #30
    Junior Golfer GoingLefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    88
    Member
    51200
    Handicap
    36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Hit the driving range today (heated stalls) and pretty pleased. Hit lots of bad shots for sure, even missed my first swing but also hit several decent ones too. I'd say I hit a dozen good ones out of a small bucket. Was getting my 7 iron out past 150 on my good ones. I'm finding it a major challenge to get out of my own way mentally. I'm trying to be loose and free but some part of me really wants to hit that damn ball. The more I can let go, the better I hit it. Still, very happy with where I'm at right now and excited to even be a range! Again no pain, just a bit of stiffness after which I worked out. I'm going to do a breakdown of my goals for this quarter of the year shortly and my plan on how to get there.

    Also, I picked up a set of used irons yesterday. They are Apex Forged and in great condition. Reg flex in the recoil shaft. First graphite irons I've ever bought, but got a nice deal on them and like the look a lot. Today I traded in my Ping SW (since this iron set came with one. I got SW-6i) for a G400 5 hybrid in reg shaft and a G 7 wood in reg shaft as well (paid the difference). All the clubs are in great shape except the 7 wood has a few dings on the crown and some face wear. I just need a 5 wood now and a Driver. I think I'll forgo a 3 wood. I'll probably go Ping G30 or G400, maybe Titleist 917's. Oh and I need a lob wedge too. Probably get a Callaway, I've had them before and they're great wedges.


  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingLefty For This Useful Post:

    Kenomikes (01-10-2019), skinsscalper (01-23-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •