Weighted Blankets

Ottawaclo

#THPFunkoFam
Reaction score
Handicap
Titos
My 10 yr old daughter is on the spectrum and suffers from a heart issue and has always had issues falling asleep.

Been researching these weighted blankets for months to do anything to help her little body rest and am finally about to pull the trigger.

Before I do I am curious if any of my THP family has any experience with these?

I have settled on her needing a 7lb blanket and know that there is a good chance of the beads coming out at some point so I dont want to go cheap on this. Well made is key I imagine.

Thanks for anyone that takes the time to read/answer

Thanks!!!

I've purchased them for my wife and I. Well actually I purchased one for me first, and it helped me sleep much better. After about a month, my wife stole it, so I ended up buying another. Now we both have one that we sleep with. I don't know how they work exactly, but they do. I've heard good things for children with sleeping issues as well... Especially those on the spectrum.

Amazon had the option to send it back within 30 days, so that's a nice way to give it a try.

Here's the one I purchased... In both 20 and 15 lbs for my wife and I.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075W8HC3W?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

My 10 yr old daughter is on the spectrum and suffers from a heart issue and has always had issues falling asleep.

Been researching these weighted blankets for months to do anything to help her little body rest and am finally about to pull the trigger.

I have settled on her needing a 7lb blanket and know that there is a good chance of the beads coming out at some point so I dont want to go cheap on this. Well made is key I imagine.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've purchased them for my wife and I. Well actually I purchased one for me first, and it helped me sleep much better. After about a month, my wife stole it, so I ended up buying another. Now we both have one that we sleep with. I don't know how they work exactly, but they do. I've heard good things for children with sleeping issues as well... Especially those on the spectrum.

Amazon had the option to send it back within 30 days, so that's a nice way to give it a try.

Here's the one I purchased... In both 20 and 15 lbs for my wife and I.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075W8HC3W?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Thanks man....appreciated

There was some discussion here about these in the last two months or so. I searched briefly but could not find the discussions. I'm sure THPers will know and help you out. I'd like to learn more myself.

Didn't I see these at sharper image,I always thought about trying it for myself my sleeping sucks

And God bless you child, hurts my heart, I have 3 kids and I have been blessed so far with no real hiccups

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks!!!

Already bought my wife one for christmas. She can get some pretty bad anxiety....we will see

We had a "I can't sleep thread" a couple of months ago. Bought a weighted blanket and that helps. I also bought the app "Calm" on my iPhone and that also helps immensely - it can plays sounds, read stories, meditation, relaxation, etc. Puts me to sleep within 15 minutes.

While I like the weighted blanket for my weight - about 180-190 lbs, my SO was crushed by its weight. She needed one that was much lighter. They have various weights.

Last edited:
The research and anecdotal evidence on these is piling up, and I think at this point (not to spend your money for you), you ought to be debating type of material and pull the trigger.

There are several different types - glass beads or ceramic pills, for instance. Be sure to use a cover with your wee one, my friend, as you can’t throw these blankets in the wash easily.

And from what I hear, they run hot. That’s why I haven’t bought one yet as I tend to roast at night.

If she doesn’t like the weight and she’s a side sleeper, there are also these nifty U shaped body pillows that you kinda settle into. They’re not as effective as weighted blankets, but they look very snuggly and mimic the body contact and hugs. But I think you should try the blanket first.

Also have her try doing something with the weighted blanket before sleep - I know springing new things on some folks can backfire on you. So if she likes to watch tv or read or something, see if she’ll sit under it for a bit to get used to the weight. Be sure to help her learn how to turn underneath if she needs it (I know that sounds weird, and I don’t know your daughter obviously, but I’ve known quite a few differently abled kids and as you know, they can get things in their head, so better to show her she can turn before that becomes a “thing”).

I’m planning on spending some Xmas present money on one of these, and I know some folks who have had their sleeping patterns change drastically for the better.

I hope it works for her - let us know!

A few weeks ago I picked up a weighted blanket based on the recommendation of DucatiGirl. After a lot of research I purchased a Quility. It works very well. Plus, I get a workout when I make the bed as mine is 25 pounds. :)

The research and anecdotal evidence on these is piling up, and I think at this point (not to spend your money for you), you ought to be debating type of material and pull the trigger.

There are several different types - glass beads or ceramic pills, for instance. Be sure to use a cover with your wee one, my friend, as you can’t throw these blankets in the wash easily.

And from what I hear, they run hot. That’s why I haven’t bought one yet as I tend to roast at night.

If she doesn’t like the weight and she’s a side sleeper, there are also these nifty U shaped body pillows that you kinda settle into. They’re not as effective as weighted blankets, but they look very snuggly and mimic the body contact and hugs. But I think you should try the blanket first.

Also have her try doing something with the weighted blanket before sleep - I know springing new things on some folks can backfire on you. So if she likes to watch tv or read or something, see if she’ll sit under it for a bit to get used to the weight. Be sure to help her learn how to turn underneath if she needs it (I know that sounds weird, and I don’t know your daughter obviously, but I’ve known quite a few differently abled kids and as you know, they can get things in their head, so better to show her she can turn before that becomes a “thing”).

I’m planning on spending some Xmas present money on one of these, and I know some folks who have had their sleeping patterns change drastically for the better.

I hope it works for her - let us know!

Ya you might as well have been in my head when you typed your reply lol.

Looking hard at a Harkla as they come with a duvet cover and are machine washable and they took into account the sensory needs as well.

Appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. Means a ton.

Thank you so much and we know that at this point anything we can do to make her rest better is vital.....which is why we know we need to at least TRY a weighted blanket.

We are nervous about her getting “stuck” and causing a ton of stress emotionally and to her heart so we are going to try a 7lb one first as she weighs 74 lbs atm.

Thanks again everyone....truly appreciated

Ya you might as well have been in my head when you typed your reply lol.

Looking hard at a Harkla as they come with a duvet cover and are machine washable and they took into account the sensory needs as well.

Appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. Means a ton.

Thank you so much and we know that at this point anything we can do to make her rest better is vital.....which is why we know we need to at least TRY a weighted blanket.

We are nervous about her getting “stuck” and causing a ton of stress emotionally and to her heart so we are going to try a 7lb one first as she weighs 74 lbs atm.

Thanks again everyone....truly appreciated

They do make a 5 lb one - if you think you need to start smaller. Not sure how tall she is though.

Regardless, I really, REALLY hope it works. Fingers and toes are crossed for her!

They do make a 5 lb one - if you think you need to start smaller. Not sure how tall she is though.

Regardless, I really, REALLY hope it works. Fingers and toes are crossed for her!

Thanks and the 5lb was too small. By most charts she fits into the 10.

I have 2 of them already at my home. But for this year (winter) need a new one for my 10 months old boy. :)

Thanks!!!

My daughter who has Fibro use one every night she says it helps her sleep better.

We had a "I can't sleep thread" a couple of months ago. Bought a weighted blanket and that helps. I also bought the app "Calm" on my iPhone and that also helps immensely - it can plays sounds, read stories, meditation, relaxation, etc. Puts me to sleep within 15 minutes.

While I like the weighted blanket for my weight - about 180-190 lbs, my SO was crushed by its weight. She needed one that was much lighter. They have various weights.

I put on the Golf Channel and she's out like a light!

We actually have one from Brookstone when they were shutting down and they were dirt cheap. Friggin thing weighs a ton. She puts it on her feet only. Her complaint was that the beads seem to move to one spot.

They do give you a workout when making the bed or when trying to pull it back from falling off the bed while laying there.

My wife and I have had no issues of them being too hot. My wife is usually throwing off covers and sweating up a storm. But she's had no issues with the ones we've purchased... Which was a big worry of mine... especially now that she's 23 weeks pregnant.

They do give you a workout when making the bed or when trying to pull it back from falling off the bed while laying there.

My wife and I have had no issues of them being too hot. My wife is usually throwing off covers and sweating up a storm. But she's had no issues with the ones we've purchased... Which was a big worry of mine... especially now that she's 23 weeks pregnant.

First off congrats man!!!!!

Secondly thank you everyone for their help! Means alot

Thanks for posting everyone. I never heard of these until today. Any idea why they're supposed to work? I'll have to pass these ideas on to my sister-in-law. I guess her daughter (18 year old) has a helluva time getting to sleep most nights. Maybe this would help.

We bought one yesterday for my father in law who is 89 and has Parkinson’s. I’m hopeful it helps him sleep longer into the night.

Thanks for posting everyone. I never heard of these until today. Any idea why they're supposed to work? I'll have to pass these ideas on to my sister-in-law. I guess her daughter (18 year old) has a helluva time getting to sleep most nights. Maybe this would help.

The theory is the weight of the blanket stimulates melatonin and other calming hormone production in the brain, which causes increased quality of sleep. It’s basically simulating contact, like a human cuddle. Also the weight helps prevent tossing and turning, which obviously also promotes better sleep.

Anecdotal evidence is piling up rapidly but not sure of the exact science.

Jack Daniels does some of that too.
Seriously I’m buying two more for my daughters who have epilepsy to see if it helps.

We have one that we used with my son when he was going through a night terror stage. Was a hand me down gift from a friend who’s daughter used it for other sleep issues. I think our friend made it so I’m not sure if the weight was correct for my son or not but it did seem to allow him to sleep peacefully during that stage.

Nothing like hearing your 6year old screaming bloody murder in the middle of the night to get those old juices flowing. Worse part was him describing what is going on and the whole time looking right through you as if you didn’t exist. And then not having any memory of it the next morning.

Placed an order today after talking to a nurse here at the hospital....couple that with what everyone has been posting and it seems like its at least worth a try to get my daughter some rest.

Thanks again everyone

Back