No real rational reason other than both sides of the front wheel aren't supported. :)

Why? Stronger than a traditional front shock

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm thinking it may be time to get my old bike out. I have to start exercising and I hate running so biking sounds better IMO.

My bike hasn't seen use in at least 10 years though. Pretty sure it needs some type of tune up before use.

Yeah... Don't just get on it (after filling the tyres) and ride. You may just end up with a bruised calf because the chain broke. :bulgy-eyes: No personal experience here.
I'm thinking it may be time to get my old bike out. I have to start exercising and I hate running so biking sounds better IMO.

My bike hasn't seen use in at least 10 years though. Pretty sure it needs some type of tune up before use.

If its been sitting for that long, take it to your local shop and get a tune up on it, and a safety check.

Yep. Getting a new Allez Sprint. Building it up from the frame set though.

I like building them from the frame up. 3 out of my last 4, I have built that way. Two of them I built my own wheels as well, but usually I have my wheel guy build the wheels.

Hey guys,

Cycling newb here.

Can anyone offer some recommendations on a cheap hybrid bike? I'd like the ability to ride on both dirt and paved roads. I would also use the bike to hitch a trailer and ride the kids around.

This is something I've thought about getting into. I have about a 12 miles drive to work, and thought about starting to bike to work, but didn't know if it would be a hastle, and with it being on the (2 lane) highway and all. I'm not sure. The exercise part is the best part. I'm just know sure.

Has anybody done the Horribly Hilly Hundreds ride near Madison? The 2016 lottery announcement came out today. They have 100k, 150k, and 200k routes. I did the 200k route ~7-8 years ago before transitioning my focus from cycling/triathlon to golf. The 200k route includes 10,000+ feet of climbing. I've done lots of endurance events (marathons, Ironmans, xc ski marathons, etc.) and this is one of the hardest. My entry was selected so that means lots of saddle time from today to June 9th. I'm looking forward to dropping a few pounds and regaining some fitness.

Last edited:
I bought the jigs but I just don't have the patience. That or the mandatory rum and cokes before working on the bike. :D
I like building them from the frame up. 3 out of my last 4, I have built that way. Two of them I built my own wheels as well, but usually I have my wheel guy build the wheels.

Has anybody done the Horribly Hilly Hundreds ride near Madison? The 2016 lottery announcement came out today. They have 100k, 150k, and 200k routes. I did the 200k route ~7-8 years ago before transitioning my focus from cycling/triathlon to golf. The 200k route includes 10,000+ feet of climbing. I've done lots of endurance events (marathons, Ironmans, xc ski marathons, etc.) and this is one of the hardest. My entry was selected so that means lots of saddle time from today to June 9th. I'm looking forward to dropping a few pounds and regaining some fitness.

I haven't done the Horribly Hilly Hundreds but I normally do Levi's Gran Fondo every September which is 106 miles and 9,000 feet of climbing. Several of my buddies do the Death Ride every year which is 129 miles and 15,000 feet of climbing but I so far have refused! I like to ride but those last 5,000 feet of climbing is just a lot of suffering as the temperatures are normally in the 80's.

I haven't done the Horribly Hilly Hundreds but I normally do Levi's Gran Fondo every September which is 106 miles and 9,000 feet of climbing. Several of my buddies do the Death Ride every year which is 129 miles and 15,000 feet of climbing but I so far have refused! I like to ride but those last 5,000 feet of climbing is just a lot of suffering as the temperatures are normally in the 80's.

Levi's Grand Fondo is similar to Horribly Hilly Hundreds (HHH). The Tour of California used a couple of the same climbs and they're challenging for most people. The Death Ride sounds epic. The Triple Bypass ride in CO is another endurance example. Climbing in CO is about getting into a rhythm and then maintaining it for an hour. I've done most of the big climbs in CO and really enjoy riding there. The short and steep climbs of Northern CA and near Madison (to a lesser extent) are harder in my opinion. The 200k loop at HHH has 40 climbs. The first 25 or 30 climbs soften you up for the last ones. I recently turned 50 and this ride might be part of a midlife crisis. I'm kidding. However, the ego portion of my brain thinks my body can ride like it did 20 years ago. We'll see...

Haven't done that ride but I did the Alpine Loop Gran Fondo in Virginia a couple of years ago. Over 108 miles 11000 ft of climbing. Middle climb is 8 miles of gravel with a gravel decent. Pro mtb racer Jeremiah Bishop host the ride. Usually gets a lot of the pros from the area. Joe Dombroski and Ben King were there when I rode it. Ben King rode the TDF that year and said it is the hardest none race ride he does. They have 4 or 5 different routes to accommodate all levels of riders. One of the best rides I have done.

Need some thoughts, gents. I bought a bike for my wife, got it home and have it a once over. There is some powder coat chipping in front of the rear dropouts. I emailed the dudes to see how they can help and will be taking the bicycle back in tomorrow so they can see it. Y'all think I can ask them to replace the frame for me since it looks like an installation issue?

4b44f1a46bc81ef304444831e1ed224b.jpg
5c06e37ca0b8a30e84b5a103affa6996.jpg

Well, their customer service is top notch. They'll be swapping out the frame for me. To say I'm pleased is an understatement.

Need some thoughts, gents. I bought a bike for my wife, got it home and have it a once over. There is some powder coat chipping in front of the rear dropouts. I emailed the dudes to see how they can help and will be taking the bicycle back in tomorrow so they can see it. Y'all think I can ask them to replace the frame for me since it looks like an installation issue?

That bike should have never gone out like that.

Yeah. I think whoever assembled it was in a rush. :shrug: We'll see tomorrow how much longer it'll be before the new frame comes in.

Yeah. I think whoever assembled it was in a rush. :shrug: We'll see tomorrow how much longer it'll be before the new frame comes in.

I have warranty frames two-shipped for Customers when there is an issue. If it takes too long, ride that bike, then exchange it when the new frame shows up.

Good deal. Thanks for the heads up.

Bike shop wants to try and repair the frame chips and then have me take a look. I understand that the owner doesn't want to have two bikes that he could potentially not sell in case I dislike this one, but I don't really understand why he couldn't just ship that frame back to Soma and getting a new one. I can totally understand if it was one of the shop employees who messed up the frame, but better to tell me that up front than to have an unhappy customer.

I have warranty frames two-shipped for Customers when there is an issue. If it takes too long, ride that bike, then exchange it when the new frame shows up.

Bike shop wants to try and repair the frame chips and then have me take a look. I understand that the owner doesn't want to have two bikes that he could potentially not sell in case I dislike this one, but I don't really understand why he couldn't just ship that frame back to Soma and getting a new one. I can totally understand if it was one of the shop employees who messed up the frame, but better to tell me that up front than to have an unhappy customer.

Aluminum or carbon frame?

CroMo frame. Owner is willing to give me a discount if I accept the fix. The bicycle was ~$1300 out the door.

Aluminum or carbon frame?

Not sure. The owner said that it would have the same durability as the original powder-coat and to come back in a couple of hours. Hopefully it's not the "powder-coat" we used where I used to work: three coats of flat, one coat of gloss, one dusting of flat to give it a bit of granularity. :alien:

What is their fix? Touch up paint?

Not sure. The owner said that it would have the same durability as the original powder-coat and to come back in a couple of hours. Hopefully it's not the "powder-coat" we used where I used to work: three coats of flat, one coat of gloss, one dusting of flat to give it a bit of granularity. :alien:

Interesting that they can do that in shop, in a couple hours

Indeed! They do sponsor the Duke Cycling Team, so maybe they can. Half the shop is work space with stands, etc.

Interesting that they can do that in shop, in a couple hours

edit: The enamel paint smell was still in the air when I went to take a look at the fix. I'll go back on Tuesday to make sure that while drying the paint hasn't pulled back too much. The fix does look really good, color matched, etc.

Last edited:
Back