How do you choose where you play golf?

When I start contemplating a round, I do the following checklist:

1) Does my boss want me to play? If so, play where he wants....he is the boss after all.

2) Can I meet up with any THP'ers? If so, hook up with some and play wherever convenient for everyone.

3) Do I have time to go to one of my favorite courses in the area? If so, go there.

4) Is there some other event like an errand I need to do? If so, pick a course in that area for convenience.

5) Otherwise, pick the course I think most likely to have good conditions, convenience and pace of play.

Most rounds are played at my country club. Paying for it, so better justify the expense. To spice things up from time to time, we'll go to one of the other local courses within a 20-30 mile radius. That gives us about a dozen courses to choose from. If I'm in Raleigh, it's usually determined by GolfNow rates though I like to play Lonnie Poole (and adding UNC Finley to the mix). Otherwise it's what the Carolina THP group wants to play that weekend.

I have a regular group that plays at my home course Wednesday afternoons and every Saturday morning at daybreak. I also play with a large group that uses a modified stableford point system on Saturday's, though I don't play with this group every Saturday. The cool thing about the stableford group is that outings are scheduled at public, private, simi-private and CC's throughout San Antonio and Austin so we get to play courses that would otherwise be unavailable.

Aside from using GolfNow on occasion ... I'm usually by myself, so I just pick a course and show up and hope to get paired with someone. Unless of course I am playing with THP'ers!

Mostly cost and available tee times. I signed up at a few local courses for senior rates that usually don't get posted to Golf Now so I just rotate between them.

Apart from events, it's mainly what's close to me.

I usually use GolfMatch to join a 4some or send up a request for people to join me...has worked great so far!

The regular course is only 5 miles away. My group plays there 3 or 4 times per month. The place is relatively cheap with a nice variety of challenging holes, not too tough.

We have municipal type course close by I play with my wife or son every other week. It can be fun a couples outing as well, so we do that a couple times a year with some friends.

There's another course about 15 minutes away that used to be a private country club. Its a little more money, little more uppity but can be absolutely empty on weekend late afternoons into the evening. Nice for the couple to play without the pressure of a course packed full of foursomes.

The couple we play with has a nice if not mildly boring course 5 miles from their house. We played there half a dozen times last year. They also have a nice course nearby that is in great shape and usually busy. Rare to find a deal there but they were on GroupGolfer a couple weeks ago for $20/person with cart. We each bought four of the deals, so looking forward to that this summer.

We'll probably take a couple golf trips through the year. A state park course, a road trip to avoid bad weather, a late season vacation. Some courses we've been to were reviewed here on THP, others I've found by just looking around the online maps and googling the course.

Depends on when and how much time I have.

Playing a lot of solo rounds I have 3 main courses, playing with my brother it's a coin toss on where. I drive to Indy a couple times a summer to play with AmSmith or to a group THP outing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm solo I either play at one of two locations. One books singles quite easily and the other has two 18 hole courses so walking on is much more likely.
If I'm playing with others whatever course is most convenient for us, but still a quality track.

Back