Winter Storm 2018

SirShives

Undecided
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all,
Maybe you’ve heard there’s a winter storm moving across a big part of the country. Here in my part of NC they are calling for 8”-12” maybe more, starting this evening. Mind you 2” of snow would essentially paralyze travel here for several days, so this forecast has people in genuine panic. Lol

For any of you not familiar with winter protocol in the south, any snow forecast sends people to the grocery stores in droves where they buy out all the milk and bread. People are buying milk and bread whether they need it or not, no one knows why we behave this way, it’s just what we all do. My friend from Wisconsin said he’d never heard of this until he moved here.

Additionally, I expect school to be closed for a week, minimum. That’s maybe an exaggeration but I have seen our school system close for cold weather and just the threat of winter weather so... I work for a large credit union and we insist on opening regardless of the weather so I expect to be at work on a regular schedule. People here ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO IDEA how to drive in snow so getting out will be interesting.

What weather are you getting where you are from of this storm? I’m interested to see if the forecast is correct. A foot of snow here will be quite out of the ordinary and pretty exciting.

Many of our passengers in Raleigh were missing flights because there were so many people trying to get on earlier flights (or didn't have tickets at all), that our already-ticketed passengers couldn't get to the ticket counter to check bags, etc.

Looks like this one will stay south of KS. Just lots of cold here.

one year in northwest ohio we had a snowy saturday turn into a blizzard on superbowl sunday. over a foot of snow in 24 hours. my directv went out and i couldnt drive my ford focus so I had to put on snow shoes and walk 2 miles to the nearest open bar to watch the game haha

It took me like an hour and a half to walk 2 miles lol

Going to be an interesting week that’s for sure. Hopefully it’s not too bad.

Many of our passengers in Raleigh were missing flights because there were so many people trying to get on earlier flights (or didn't have tickets at all), that our already-ticketed passengers couldn't get to the ticket counter to check bags, etc.

That’s crazy!

I live in the Boston area, but am currently in Johnson City. It’s interesting to see how folks who don’t get much snow respond. :)

ps: there are more snow plows in Boston than the entire Commonwealth of Virginia. Lol

Areas of biggest issues (from a flight standpoint) will be RDU / GSP / CLT areas. Expecting 1/4" of ice, then up to around 6" of snow.

14-20 expected for us. Jim Cantore has graced our small town with his presence. Slingshot...engage.

Hello all,
Maybe you’ve heard there’s a winter storm moving across a big part of the country. Here in my part of NC they are calling for 8”-12” maybe more, starting this evening. Mind you 2” of snow would essentially paralyze travel here for several days, so this forecast has people in genuine panic. Lol

For any of you not familiar with winter protocol in the south, any snow forecast sends people to the grocery stores in droves where they buy out all the milk and bread. People are buying milk and bread whether they need it or not, no one knows why we behave this way, it’s just what we all do. My friend from Wisconsin said he’d never heard of this until he moved here.

Additionally, I expect school to be closed for a week, minimum. That’s maybe an exaggeration but I have seen our school system close for cold weather and just the threat of winter weather so... I work for a large credit union and we insist on opening regardless of the weather so I expect to be at work on a regular schedule. People here ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO IDEA how to drive in snow so getting out will be interesting.

What weather are you getting where you are from of this storm? I’m interested to see if the forecast is correct. A foot of snow here will be quite out of the ordinary and pretty exciting.

What part of NC are you in? I’m in Apex and have not been paying attention to the forecast that closely. My sister and her family are in Winston and are expecting 8” to 12”.

I wish some of that storm was hitting us. Nothing but sun in the forecast the next 5 days and we only have 4 inches on the ground. I need an excuse to buy a couple snowmobiles before Christmas!

Stay safe and hopefully the storm won’t be to much of a hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What part of NC are you in? I’m in Apex and have not been paying attention to the forecast that closely. My sister and her family are in Winston and are expecting 8” to 12”.

I’m in High Point about 20 min from Winston. They are now saying snow overnight 6’-12’ and plus some sleet and ice.

No snow for us here in the Chicago area. But we did have 10+ inches back around Thanksgiving. Almost all melted now. Temps in the 20's and 30's.... So almost golfing weather....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

No snow here I'll take it

I’m in High Point about 20 min from Winston. They are now saying snow overnight 6’-12’ and plus some sleet and ice.

They are saying snow and ice here so basically a state of emergency.

We received the weather at the very beginning of the storm. Lots of rain over two days. Since then it's been rather nice outside. Think I may go for a walk.

6” overnight and still snowing like crazy right now. Supposed to have precipitation of some sort all day. My 3 year old loved it until snow got in her eyes and then she was done. Haha. Took 10 minutes to get her all bundled up and she stayed outside a good 45 seconds. She’s going to be a summer time girl. My 7 year old son is in heaven.

Good times here in NC.

I live in Stokesdale NC and work in High Point. Gotta be at work at 7 a.m. in the morning (should be an interesting commute). We have at least 8 inches here already and it's coming down hard. Gotta believe we'll get 12-16" at least before it's all over.

I live in Stokesdale NC and work in High Point. Gotta be at work at 7 a.m. in the morning (should be an interesting commute). We have at least 8 inches here already and it's coming down hard. Gotta believe we'll get 12-16" at least before it's all over.

Hey Boone, I was wondering about you, knowing we are in the same situation here. I just checked and I am up to just over 11” with no let up. I was noticing while I was out playing with the boy, that there is more sleet mixing in.

Be careful on that commute today.

Hello all,

... Having grown up in Greensboro and attending ECU in Greenville, I certainly understand the frustration with ya'll not knowing how to deal with snow. But living in Chicago where it has already snowed 5 times this year, and having to hear about warm sunny days in the winter and golf courses open year round for ya'll, I am very selfishly enjoying your snow storm LOL. :drinks:

... Having grown up in Greensboro and attending ECU in Greenville, I certainly understand the frustration with ya'll not knowing how to deal with snow. But living in Chicago where it has already snowed 5 times this year, and having to hear about warm sunny days in the winter and golf courses open year round for ya'll, I am very selfishly enjoying your snow storm LOL. :drinks:

I love it for a day and then it’s a hassle. The biggest issue is that this will start melting and turn to ice every night for the next week. I ended up with just over a foot of snow before it turned to sleet this afternoon. Now there is a very light rain coating everything in a nice layer of ice. School is cancelled for tomorrow. It’s really cool that I can run into people with ties my area on THP.

Attachments

• 0305FE21-DF0E-455C-87E0-D5407B37BD8A.jpg
    0305FE21-DF0E-455C-87E0-D5407B37BD8A.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1D5AF0ED-A802-4048-B8CF-8ADCB3B98545.jpeg
    1D5AF0ED-A802-4048-B8CF-8ADCB3B98545.jpeg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 0
I measured barely under 5" in my backyard before it changed over to rain here in Clayton, NC.

Once again, ours was the community shovel as nobody else in the cul-de-sac has one.

We have 12” here in Midlothian/Richmond, VA.

I love it for a day and then it’s a hassle. The biggest issue is that this will start melting and turn to ice every night for the next week. I ended up with just over a foot of snow before it turned to sleet this afternoon. Now there is a very light rain coating everything in a nice layer of ice. School is cancelled for tomorrow. It’s really cool that I can run into people with ties my area on THP.

Only about an hour and a half away from High Point and we got nothing. Dont know why it makes me mad but they have scared everyone to clean out the bread and milk. My twins are in college in Durham and in Raleigh and they said they had about 10 inches of snow.

Back