My first club fitting

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
1 year in and I decided to have a club fitting.

I suspected my shafts were wrong (stiff with a 90 mph swing)

I also realized that my swing is pretty consistent at this point. I can produce the same bad results from the same lie repeatedly, lol.

I went to a local place, which is or has been on the top 100 list.

Had a brief conversation. Showed him my equipment. Swung about 10 times and boom. He said he knew what I needed.

We are shortening my driver, going regular flex shaft for it and 5 wood.

We are going with standard flex shafts that produce more lofted flight on my irons.

Also putting on jumbo grips, at my request. He allowed me to try several grips on my clubs, and those fit me well.

He will be putting my set together this week and I will be picking them up Friday, hopefully playing next weekend, if the weather holds.

This is kind of contrary to what I was expecting. I expected a lot more measuring, swinging, etc. But the guy has a great reputation and I got a good feeling from him.

All the work, shafts, etc will be sub $600. So I figured WTH, go for it. If it comes out well, awesome. If not, learning experience.

Don't ask me what I bought, because I don't know.

When I get the clubs back, I will at a minimum hit the range and give a report.

Wow, ten swings and he figured it all out. Did he use a trackman or any kind of LM to get some numbers or just off sight?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Seems a bit quick to me. Relatively cheap, but won't be if it doesn't work for you. Hopefully this will help fix some issues for you.

Where did you go for the fitting?

10 swings seems rather low for a fitting.

For that kind of money it needs to last at least as long as a round of golf with a slow foursome in front of me. With that said, I've seen interviews with fitters that say they know what a client needs within the first 10 minutes, but take longer so the client feels like they've exhausted all the options.

Yeah, I know this was quick.

Nope, no LM. Used some gadget to get my swing plane.

Guy has been there 40 years doing this stuff. Like I said, I was kind of put off initially, with the lack of an LM and such, but I got a really good feel off this guy.

If the $600 in upgrades don't help, I will consider it a lesson learned. We shall see.

Worst case scenario, I end up going to one of the national places and spend $2k on a custom set.

OK, so here is what we did:

Driver cut down 1 inch.

Driver and 5W received Fujikura Vista Pro reg flex shafts with Jumbo grips.
4-PW received Zelos 7 reg flex shafts and Jumbo grips.
Putter received Winn1.18 grip.

Picked everything up Friday night. Weekend was a complete washout.

Practiced at home with the putter and the new grip really helped me feel more comfortable with my red ball. I already loved the club, but it is even better now.

I hit about 15 balls with the driver and that small sampling showed a big difference for me. Really nice ball flight and way better control. I live in the woods, and didn't break out my LM for this, but on the surface, it looks like a big improvement.

I should have all the components for my golf sim this week, so hopefully I will have a fully assembled sim for Christmas and will put all the clubs through the wringer.

Was the fitting just for shafts into your existing heads? That’s dope about the golf sim set up, kind of a dream of mine to put one in my garage.

Yeah, wanted to keep cost under control, so used my existing heads. Honestly, the shafts and grips should make a big difference for me. I was sold stiff shafts on all my gear and I do not swing fast enough for that, so I have been fighting my equipment.

I will start a thread when I get to building the sim. It was made a bit easier as my SO is into golf just as much as I am and she wanted one too!

Back