How many use a Rangefinder with Slope function?

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm just curious because I've only seen a few laser rangefinders with slope being used on the course in my life. They must not be big sellers because at my club there is at least a couple hundred members that own laser rangefinders and I've never seen one with slope. Is this because you can't/shouldn't post rounds where a slope function is used or is it just because they cost more? I've owned 6 rangefinders over the last 20 years and have never considered the slope function models because I prefer to post all of my rounds. I've also never had any trouble adjusting for slope and I live/play in a very hilly area.

I started using one this year and absolutely love it. Part of it, for me, was cost. My previous rangefinder was a Callaway branded Nikon that I got open box for a song, and it worked well enough. I was lucky to be chosen to review the Tour X this year. As I said, I absolutely love it, and after using it I'd say it's worth the money, but the difference in cost is there.

I don't have a ton of elevation changes around here so my TourV3 jolt doesn't have it, but the next rangefinder I get will have a slope function.

One of my playing partners has a Bushnell with slope but I don't think he's figured out how to turn the slope function on.

I do for none sanctioned rounds. Scrambles are more fun with one.

I have the Bushnell Tour V2 with slope.

I would say after about 3 years of use I've played maybe 10 holes where the slope adjustment was more than 5 yds and those greens you know you're going to need a club less or more anyway.

I got a great deal on mine on Amazon ($225). If I had to buy one again I don't think I'd pay the premium for the slope.

First time I've ever used one in a group was back at the Tampa driver testing. Only one hole we really needed it on due to floridas lack of elevation.

It worked well.

My Tour V3 is the regular version. I didn't want to spend the extra $100 and I don't often have a great deal of elevation change.

I have the Tour X and I used it for the first time yesterday. I can see why the slope function is not allowed in tournament play because there were a few shots that were damn near a club difference because of the elevation change.

I've got a dumb question. Does the slope function tell you to club up or down?

I used to have a unit with slope but changed when I joined a club and started playing in lots of club events.
*The slope feature is great if you play a lot of hilly courses, otherwise the yardage differences are usually in the 1/2 club range most times--at least on the courses I play regularly...

Oops, never mind. Just saw a you tube demo of it. No wonder it isn't legal.

I don't own a rangefinder but if I ever get one (been thinking about it for awhile now) I'd most likely want one with slope.

I started using one this year and absolutely love it. Part of it, for me, was cost. My previous rangefinder was a Callaway branded Nikon that I got open box for a song, and it worked well enough. I was lucky to be chosen to review the Tour X this year. As I said, I absolutely love it, and after using it I'd say it's worth the money, but the difference in cost is there.

So do you just not post the rounds for handicap purposes where you use the slope function?

I did use one with slope at one time and liked it, but I'm totally GPS now with no looking back.

Mine has slope, I like it for learning how much elevation impacts distance. Even when I can't use in a tourney the knowledge I've gained while using is worth it.

I had one before but I got rid of it pretty quick because it was illegal for tournaments.

The one I have has a slope function, but I never use it. It's not needed too often at the courses I play.

For me its not just the cost, it is also that i want to play the same way wether in or out of a tourney. So i am always on point with making sure everything is USGA legit (even if playing a round on my own doesn't count towards HCP anymore.)

I don't because I haven't upgraded my bushnell v2 but I will have one.

I only use one for practice rounds and then only the ones I don't post for handicap purposes. Usually just for getting know distances at new courses.

I will this year with the tour x

My rangefinder doesn't have slope, and the feature does interest me, but at the time (buying my first rangefinder) I didn't want to spend the extra cash.

Mine has slope, I like it for learning how much elevation impacts distance. Even when I can't use in a tourney the knowledge I've gained while using is worth it.

Agree with Cookie. I have the Leupold GX-4i with detachable yellow face plate that measures slope and it's helped me judge effective shot distances to the elevated greens that many courses have around DFW area which in my case add an extra club selection. Great customer service from Leupold as I once dropped in on the cart path and killed it. I had it for two years and sent it in to see if it could be repaired and a week later received a brand new complete unit with cover, extra battery and fresh 2 year warranty at no charge!

Back