Make February Count - Practice

With a solid 2 feet of snow on the ground up here it'll be a while until I can hit the course.

My normal winter routine is to really work on putting as much as possible, and about this time of year get more serious with yoga to start building flexibility back up in time for the spring.

So far so good...

A little encouragement to get out there never hurt anyone! Winter for most of the central part of the country is quite depressing for golf enthusiasts, but most have some place they can go to work on their game or even things they could do in the house. I've tried them all, none are a replacement for on course practice, but they help, I've really tried to focus on physical fitness lately, I haven't hit all my goals, but there's still time.

That was the plan. I figured we could feed off each other a bit while the winter suck finalizes.

So, there's a bit of snow on the ground here, but I still got rounds in already this month (played Saturday and Sunday) and expect to play more in a week or two. Despite the colder weather, I see a light at the end of the tunnel as the warmer temperatures take over and I can get back on the course every day (if I want to).

With that in mind, I've been pushing my putting game very hard on my indoor green, working on proper gating and getting quality end over end roll not just with the head I think I'll be gaming all season, but with other putter shapes as well. Basically, I want to understand what I am doing and how I am doing it to gain the next level of confidence while on course this year. Also, I've been getting reps in during the evenings using my net/SkyTrak which has also pushed me to not get lazy with my swings. It's all about power into the ball, and this might lead to some strength training soon to make it even easier.

What are you guys doing to better your game this month? Who needs a little push?

As long as you can PUSH mother nature away ... take the cold winter farther north ... then I'm all in!

Honestly, I hope to hit the range every day once the weather breaks on the way home. Range work one day (with a purpose) and short game/putting the next. Concentrating on specific shots, and not just beating balls. Getting back into the routine I had when I was in college playing all the time.
I'm committing myself to playing better this year! I know if I put the time and effort in, it will be accomplished.

Just started last night. 5 balls per club 3iron through lob wedge and 20 minutes putting on the birdie ball green. Concentrating on contact and posture with the full swing. Putting is all about accuracy and speed from 3-15 feet. Bought a skills 21 putting mirror recently to help things along. Hoping to do this every night after the wife and baby go to sleep. Can't wait to get my new irons on the course for the first time!

I hit the dome weekly and have a lesson scheduled for the first week in March. I'm already in a better place than I have ever been to start a season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not doing a thing. It's February in Salt Lake and there's a couple feet of snow. Not a single course is open around me. I doubt any ranges are open and there aren't any good indoor facilities IMO. I could use up my lessons at GolfTec but don't see the point. I won't get to see my changes or work on them. The more I hit off mats, the more issues I find. Mats hide so many flaws so I avoid them any longer.

Golf season is still another 6-8 weeks away for me.

I've been hitting balls at a outdoor range even when there was snow on the ground. I can't see them land but I work on direction and contact. Also, have been working almost daily on putting and chipping inside my house! If we can get rid of the snow I would be out playing but northern Maryland isn't quite there yet. The weekend after this the predicted temps are supposed to be in the 50s so who knows!!

Most recently I've started the Sklz Golf Strong exercise program and am really excited about that. I've also been spending a ton of time on putting practice on my practice mat and have used the Swingbyte to help fix my slicing habit with the putter. I'll also continue my weekly simulator practice. At this point I'm just counting down the days until the warmth comes back.

No outdoor play here in Chicago for me. Leaves me with putting every day on my indoor green - particularly want to start the season with high confidence that any putt 4ft and shorter is a no brainer and any putts 4-6ft are 90% likely (of course on a flat indoor green with no breaks it is easier to achieve that). Hit on the range at least 1-2 times a week as well (at least one of those using a sim so can see numbers and full ball flight). No substitute for playing and so am taking my second trip to FL of the winter next week - played 5 days in a row on the last trip and hope to do the same on this trip to try to keep somewhat sharp.

I really envy those of you who can play 12 months a year!!

Putting and full swing with the irons. From time to time I get lazy or life gets the best of me and forget I have an area downstairs to practice. Like with everything in life you have to be committed to getting better.

I have been working on my takeaway and position at the top of the backswing to May sure I don't overswing/overextend myself. Also using this to work on and engrain a lower body initiation if the downswing in the house using a mirror, the range session I had and any more I get this month will also be used to also work on tempo.

I will do more putting drills as well. I feel my strokes is pretty consistent thanks to lots of time with the putting professor. The focus will be on consistent ball position and eye setup. Will be watching the Pat O'Brien DVD periodically to help.

Good push Dan...I've been doing some inside slow motion swing work and a bit of stretching. I signed up for a 3 pack of lessons with a local pro.

BUT...I could do more. Our weather hasn't been great, but the putting chipping green is literally 20 to 30 yards outside my office, I could handle take some practice breaks probably more often than I do, but something about practicing while others are still "working", is a bit of a hangup for me. Even if that working, consists of studying ESPN Fantasy Baseball listings...ha

I've been working on my down swing into impact position for over a month now. I felt like my arms were becoming detached on my downswing, so that's what I'm be working on correcting. My plan is to start hitting balls soon, probably indoors at my Boss's shop. My swing is feeling like it's been corrected, but I need to get a camera behind me to really see if it's taken to me or not. (Hopefully so)

Outside of being able to take advantage of a break in the weather to get a couple of rounds in, I am working on the putting stroke when and where I can. I putt every night with the assistance of an eyeline mirror, working on the putting stroke and not worrying about speed on. I try to get to the range when I can, but I drawn the line with the heated hitting bays when the temperature gets below 20-25 degrees.

Once the weather breaks this year, I plan on spending more practice time with putting and short game this spring. I still have more work to do on the swing so I will need to find a balance so either side doesn't get neglected.

Playing on a sim weekly and weight lifting have been my priority this winter. Heading to Tampa mid March for a 4 day golf trip will get me back into outdoor swinging right before April hits and the snow goes away. I have tough goals for myself in the coming season and I expect to reach all of them.

Recent equipment changes has really helped my full swing come together due to tempo/timing issues I was struggling with. I played a match play round and my ball striking was really great for me but I walked away with roughly a 90 (assuming I would have made the gimme putts on conceded holes). I missed GIR's, but the point that really stood out for me now is short game. Both a mix of chipping/pitching and putting. On most holes that I missed the GIR I ended up with a bogey due to 2 putting after the chip/pitch. Most second putts were within a foot or so which leads me to believe that chipping/pitching work should take priority over putting.

I have a great practice facility, but I use it for short game all of the time. I don't think it recreates the same thought process needed on course (at least for me) or it's not translating to the course. So my primary objective is the same as last year - to get on the course more whether it's for a round or just a few practice holes. At the end of last season I got a shag bag so I will be practicing more on course this year.

I'll be continuing my weekly lessons that I have been doing indoors. I think they are really starting to make a big difference. I will also be hitting the sim a couple times a month to see how my swing holds up during a round. I will also try to hit the heated outdoor range at least once a week until spring time hits.

One of my biggest areas of improvement for this year will be my short game. I make sure that I practice my putting every night. I am also working on getting a nice end over end roll and trying to "feel" when I have a good stroke so I can repeat it. I have go to the dome a couple times per month and work on wedge shots! I really want to "throw darts" this year! I am always watching videos online and the golf channel to pick up things that I want to incorporate into my practice routine. I will be playing non stop when the weather permits because I also see a light at the end of the tunnel and hope to join you Canadan!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

i have never been a big sim player i think they lie and say you are striking the ball better then you really are. i have a indoor dome close to my work ill be there tomorrow. I like it at least you can see the ball flight for 75 yards or so its a better judge for me.

I've been working on stretching exercises for my lower back and hamstrings, especially since I intend to walk/carry almost exclusively this season. I keep trying to do some lifting/strengthening but tendinitis in my left elbow always sets me back.

I set up my net and mat in the garage and have been hitting balls off and on just to keep swinging through the cold and snow, but I miss the feedback of ball flight. Hopefully, my pitching and chipping practice with the net will be beneficial, but once again, the tendinitis likes to kick in on the short game shots more than on full swings:confused2: .

It's so worth it. Time on the wedge game and time on the putter game. Change that, and you change the way golf plays for you. I'll say that 100 times before i'm bored, it is so ridiculously valuable to get better near the green.
Having your short game on point is extremely important. Even being a short knocker I've found that routinely leaving yourself inside the leather can negate a longer hitters game.

My "winter" routine has consisted of occasionally hitting balls in the backyard and frequent carpet putting sessions. Other than a bit of rain, my THP 1/4 zip and beanie would have been sufficient to handle those 50° days on the course. Unfortunately, work has kept me from playing since the Up & Down event. This is a 4 day weekend for me so I plan on powering through a final work project and then, fingers crossed, I should be golfing again.

Having your short game on point is extremely important. Even being a short knocker I've found that routinely leaving yourself inside the leather can negate a longer hitters game.

My "winter" routine has consisted of occasionally hitting balls in the backyard and frequent carpet putting sessions. Other than a bit of rain, my THP 1/4 zip and beanie would have been sufficient to handle those 50° days on the course. Unfortunately, work has kept me from playing since the Up & Down event. This is a 4 day weekend for me so I plan on powering through a final work project and then, fingers crossed, I should be golfing again.

I can't believe with the collection you have, that it's simply 'carpet' putting. Time to step up your game and get a proper setup Duff!

Just as you started this thread the range by my house opened up today. Stoked. I think February is going to be about swing mechanics (now that I can actually see my ball flight). Come March, it's going to be strictly routine, target focus and short game work. I'm tired of trying to play golf swing all year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PLayed out doors a bit, wish I had some time to spend on the range. Hoping to do so in AL before the 3 rounds for the weekend.

Lessons start up again first week of March, then I hope to be able to work on whatever the takeaways are from the lessons

The one thing I decide to do late last year into this year is too work on fitness and strength training. I am already seeing results of that off the tee.

Last week on a Par 4 I was normally 170 to 180 out. I ended up about 145 out this time. I think I could have gotten closer, so it really teams me the fitness, lessons and range work are really paying off.

Back