Pros Withdrawing Due to Poor Play/Weather

Yeah, he had an ankle injury just like Ovechkin was hurt and Toews was sick for the NHL all-star game.

If he is not injured or some other valid reason he should be playing. For those of us who wish we had the talent to play on the tour for him to decide I just don't want to play doesn't cut it.

I was going to ask that as a follow up, but thought it was a bit different. Extending a tournament to a Monday after 10 hours of on/off course on Sunday kind of makes it a different story. These guys need to rest for the upcoming tournament, and I am sure their plans showed otherwise. Running through the bad weather gauntlet is effort enough, especially if spectators aren't allowed on course with them today.

See I don't know. I mean look at today, majority of the field has less than 9 holes to play. I understand the travel part of it, but I guess my take is that if you were contention to win, would you make the arrangements needed and play? Of course you would. So if you are out of contention, but can still finish with say a top 25, wouldn't you think you'd stay too? I dunno, I agree yesterday was a grind for those guys, but hell I would think that if you put in the hard work yesterday they would want to get out today and finish it up and make some money, RC Points, FedEx points.

Yeah, he had an ankle injury just like Ovechkin was hurt and Toews was sick for the NHL all-star game.

A little bit of that awesome FIFA spray and he'll be back for the Waste Management. NBD.

A little bit of that awesome FIFA spray and he'll be back for the Waste Management. NBD.
Haha that stuff cures concussions lol

See I don't know. I mean look at today, majority of the field has less than 9 holes to play. I understand the travel part of it, but I guess my take is that if you were contention to win, would you make the arrangements needed and play? Of course you would. So if you are out of contention, but can still finish with say a top 25, wouldn't you think you'd stay too? I dunno, I agree yesterday was a grind for those guys, but hell I would think that if you put in the hard work yesterday they would want to get out today and finish it up and make some money, RC Points, FedEx points.

T25 I absolutely agree. What about 20 shots back in 70th?

Definitely feel if the withdrawal isn't Injury related a fine should be imposed.

Just adds to the Reed public perception fire that is already burning at a good pace. Can not wait for the Spieth/Reed final round pairing in a major coming to us soon. So juicy.

T25 I absolutely agree. What about 20 shots back in 70th?

If that's the case, I would have bowed out yesterday:alien:
Again though, I don't like it, but at the end of the day they are really only hurting themselves. Let's face it, about 7 people are rushing to the front 9 to see DaLaet finish this morning. So you aren't killing the patrons(man I wish it was Masters week).

All I've read it was an ankle for the reason. How legitimate only Reed knows, but this make Dalet look like a little kid tattling on a classmate. Who cares why he withdrew.

Regarding if a player should or should not withdraw bc of weather, it's their call. Yesterday was clearly a case they never should have started. The PGA fails with this one IMO bc the was real danger out there.

If players truly have an injury or family emergency they’re dealing with, then no problem. Outside of that, unacceptable IMO.
They are taking away a spot from someone that is more than willing to play.
However, there’s really no way to validate if the player in question has an injury or is dealing with a family emergency.

Given that the other group members are playing next to him, I would think they would know if he’s dealing with an injury or not. The callout from Graham would suggest he’s being a little b*#%h

If he is withdrawing due to a legit injury, that's one thing. If not, all I'm gonna say is that it must be nice not to feel obligated to show up to work just because you don't want to be there or you're expecting it to be a crappy day.

I think it's poor sportsmanship. Like many have said, unless it is family related or injury related you play on.

All I've read it was an ankle for the reason. How legitimate only Reed knows, but this make Dalet look like a little kid tattling on a classmate. Who cares why he withdrew.

Regarding if a player should or should not withdraw bc of weather, it's their call. Yesterday was clearly a case they never should have started. The PGA fails with this one IMO bc the was real danger out there.

Tattling? Hmm..

I didn't realize it was actually dangerous on course yesterday.. From all the coverage I saw, it just looked crappy. Minus Sneds.

There are some really good replies to that tweet both for DeLaet and Reed.

I thought "1-800-TOP-FIVE" and "It's tough in weather like that when you still wear pleated pants" were pretty funny.

Tattling? Hmm..

I didn't realize it was actually dangerous on course yesterday.. From all the coverage I saw, it just looked crappy. Minus Sneds.

That storm wreaked some havoc. Tents blew over and a tree or two down from what I saw on Twitter and GC this AM.

There are some really good replies to that tweet both for DeLaet and Reed.

I thought "1-800-TOP-FIVE" and "It's tough in weather like that when you still wear pleated pants" were pretty funny.

I think the bigger picture thought is how this just might reflect on how other players might feel about Reed in general. I don't think DeLaet makes that tweet if he felt like he was alone in calling him out. Has to be a lot more behind the scenes with that guy.

That storm wreaked some havoc. Tents blew over and a tree or two down from what I saw on Twitter and GC this AM.

I believe all the damage was done after players were removed from the course. Plus, using that as a reasoning for Reed's WD is not really all that strong considering he bailed before the 4th round began.

I vote in the poor sportsmanship camp, just bad form on Reed's part. Amazing how the body feels worse after a bad round.

Patrick Reed exudes class.

I'm sure it was 100% legit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't like it. It seems very self serving but I really don't have enough accurate information to form a real opinion. I'm sure the details will come out as time goes by!

I wonder how serious the PGA will take this if it ever becomes a real trend.

Suspension from said tournament the following year+?
Suspension from tournament immediately following due to claimed injury?
Neutral doctor visit confirming claimed injury?
Fines?
FedEx Cup points?

Seems like the fans have always been a lot more concerned than the tour has been about these decisions, but each sample makes it more interesting.

A few articles do mention a ankle injury, so thats a different animal IMO
If it truly is an ankle, that's completely understandable, but if it's just WD b/c of conditions, etc. That's a joke.

I believe all the damage was done after players were removed from the course. Plus, using that as a reasoning for Reed's WD is not really all that strong considering he bailed before the 4th round began.

The damage was done over night, but my point is the weather was bad and IMO I wouldn't have trotted them out there yesterday morning. I didn't see the conditions Snedeker played in bc I was away, but sounds like it calmed a bit before it got worse.

At the end of the day, these guys control their fate. A WD doesn't bother me other than showing poor sportsmanship.

Normally not a fan of WD'ing unless injury/emergency but given the tourney was extended to Monday and not knowing what his plans were for this week I lean towards giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Back