They are a funny company. In many ways, it almost feels like engagement like that is an inconvenience.

Id fear the long term proposition of buying a device (hardware) that for all intents and purposes would be bricked without a subscription if the company struggles.

Id fear the long term proposition of buying a device (hardware) that for all intents and purposes would be bricked without a subscription if the company struggles.

This has been my hangup and why I went from the SGX I had to Bushnell type devices, or now, some REALLY good apps that do everything this can and more.

That is kind of scary, isn't it.

That is kind of scary, isn't it.

I cant say they are struggling or not struggling. I know they were at one time leaders in the space and are not there anymore.
its a dinosaur model in this space with literally no other contemporaries doing it.

It would be like buying a new iPhone for Sprint and having to pay in full, but them telling you if Sprint doesnt make it or is acquired, your phone wont work anymore.

I cant say they are struggling or not struggling. I know they were at one time leaders in the space and are not there anymore.
its a dinosaur model in this space with literally no other contemporaries doing it.

It would be like buying a new iPhone for Sprint and having to pay in full, but them telling you if Sprint doesnt make it or is acquired, your phone wont work anymore.

Yeah I get the argument completely, and I know it's one we've talked about before on THP during my first experience with SkyCaddie. I've always seen it as an upfront fee which basically just increases the cost of the unit for me (I think originally I bought three years worth of subscription). I never once considered/expected to have a discontinued service but it's all perception (and some blissful ignorance haha).

I also agree it's crazy archaic.

I had an SG5 years ago. Aside from yardages, I loved being able to move the pin around the green. I also really liked the basic stat tracking that went along with it when I would sync it to their software on my laptop. I miss that the most about just using a laser rangefinder. I could easily keep my own stats. But, it was just so easy to plug in the unit and have it happen automatically.

I agree with others about the business model. Hard to believe in this day and age they still charge a subscription. But, to my knowledge, there are no other companies that allow you to set pin locations. I could be wrong as I haven't looked into GPS units for quite some time.

A guy I play with regularly just got this unit at the end of last season I believe. He had the previous gen up to that point. It is a nice size and the display is pretty sharp. A little steep given that you also have to pony up the subscription, but it is pretty nice.

All I know is that if my rangefinder ever bites the dust, I would seriously consider going back to SkyCaddie.

I personally have no problem with the subscription. You get what you pay for. It’s a business and needs income to survive and evolve. It’s the best at what it does imho.

I've been looking at the SX500 as I'd just like to get out of the habit of looking at my phone all the time during a round. From what I read there's still some SW bugs and the charger port is really fragile and can easily break, those two things are keeping me from pulling the trigger yet. I think the subscription model is ok if it provides a good value add, e.g. they walk the yardages and don't (only) use satellite, they have a portal where courses can upload their pin-sheets that automatically transfers (ok, probably not too many using it today). But if you go down the subscription route they should offer the device for waaaay less to gain some traction imo.

I have liked the Skycaddie and have had many of their products over the years. I still have a SGXw that I will occasionally use without an active membership. I can still download courses over WiFi. Once all the apps and cheaper alternatives started becoming more prevalent their subscription model just doesn’t seem necessary anymore. I used to be adamant about wanting to see the layout of a course, especially one I am unfamiliar with. Now i just check an app and use my rangefinder whenever necessary. Most of the time I would carry the SGXw and not even use it because I didn’t want to take the time to mess with it. I take enough time while playing taking on and off head covers. Don’t need another toy to occupy my time .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still hard pondering the SkyCaddie SX500.

With the THP code, I can get one for 300 from Budget.
SkyGolf has a deal right now where you can get a dozen golf balls for a year sub or 3 dozen for a 3 year sub (7 or 10 S&H).

So all in, 460 for three years of the SX500 + three dozen e12 balls. That's not awful.

SkyGolf has a deal right now where you can get a dozen golf balls for a year sub or 3 dozen for a 3 year sub (7 or 10 S&H).

So all in, 460 for three years of the SX500 + three dozen e12 balls. That's not awful.

Approved.

I urge you to proceed.

.... did you buy it yet?

nope. Not yet.

Still annoyed by the subscription. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually.

That was my issue w/ arccos. Also the fact that it basically made the club longer.
(I digress....these look nice though!)

nope. Not yet.

Still annoyed by the subscription. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually.

Not going to lie. I was all over purchasing this unit until I tried the Arccos app. It’s $99 a year for the caddie but offers so much more minus the intelligreen.

That was my issue w/ arccos. Also the fact that it basically made the club longer.
(I digress....these look nice though!)

With my top hand always pretty much around the top of the club, it's a deal breaker for me as well. Not to mention the complete and utter lack of interest in using my cell phone for golf related things while I play.

With my top hand always pretty much around the top of the club, it's a deal breaker for me as well. Not to mention the complete and utter lack of interest in using my cell phone for golf related things while I play.

Yup. I never loved having to have it in my pocket either.

I have the same feelings. That's why I went with this unit. It's been pretty accurate so far. Great to have on a course you have never seen before.

I have the same feelings. That's why I went with this unit. It's been pretty accurate so far. Great to have on a course you have never seen before.

That's what I miss so much from the SGX-w. I love playing to a miss, picking a spot on the green with the unit and saying "I can hit it this short or this far and still have a good look at birdie"

It was a pretty big confidence booster, especially when I played courses unfamiliar.

Buy this yet Dan?

Back