golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
Hey THP! Has anyone used the SkyCaddie SX500 before or currently? I've been reading up on it & was thinking of purchasing one for 2019. But I wanted to get everyone's take on it first. Good, Bad, Indifferent ... let me have it.

Thanks

skycaddie.jpg

Hey THP! Has anyone used the SkyCaddie SX500 before or currently? I've been reading up on it & was thinking of purchasing one for 2019. But I wanted to get everyone's take on it first. Good, Bad, Indifferent ... let me have it.

Thanks

View attachment 36586

I’ve seen most of the news about it from the company itself, not necessarily from user feedback.

I guess I’m curious what’s different than just using the app?

I’ve seen most of the news about it from the company itself, not necessarily from user feedback.

I guess I’m curious what’s different than just using the app?

Which App are you speaking of?

Which App are you speaking of?

Skycaddie mobile. Not sure what level you use of membership though, but it’s complimentary at the highest level.

Oh I thought there may have been a different one. I already have that since I currently use the LINX GT watch. I guess I was looking for something a bit more accurate without having to run down my cell phone battery & use my data (if that's what it does or not). I never used the app but maybe 3 times because it ran down my battery. It was just a hassle to bring my cell phone, the charger, etc. every round. So I just used the watch by itself but wasn't the best.

I guess the SX500 would work quicker & easier than having to carry my cell & the watch at the same time. I don't know what I want in all actuality. I grew up playing from sight, yardage markers in the fairway & cart paths and did just fine. Why am I trying to make it more complicated. HA! :act-up:

Oh I thought there may have been a different one. I already have that since I currently use the LINX GT watch. I guess I was looking for something a bit more accurate without having to run down my cell phone battery & use my data (if that's what it does or not). I never used the app but maybe 3 times because it ran down my battery. It was just a hassle to bring my cell phone, the charger, etc. every round. So I just used the watch by itself but wasn't the best.

I guess the SX500 would work quicker & easier than having to carry my cell & the watch at the same time. I don't know what I want in all actuality. I grew up playing from sight, yardage markers in the fairway & cart paths and did just fine. Why am I trying to make it more complicated. HA! :act-up:

It’d work faster than the watch and with a lot more info, yeah. I’d probably look for a good SGXw and use that personally, or use the app and keep a charging cable in my golf bag.

I have it and it's fantastic, battery life is really good, with at least 2 full rounds of golf per charge. Screen very bright and easy to read with the maps of the holes really detailed. It's as big as my smartphone and the case is rugged and fully waterproof.

I have had most gps watches and hand held units, but this is the best so far.

It's easy to update over wifi so no need to conned t to a PC.

I have it and it's fantastic, battery life is really good, with at least 2 full rounds of golf per charge. Screen very bright and easy to read with the maps of the holes really detailed. It's as big as my smartphone and the case is rugged and fully waterproof.

Thanks appreciate the feedback. I think this is the one I will probably go with.

Incidentally, maybe you can answer a question for me. In my LINXGT watch, you had to "learn" the clubs to the watch to link them so it knew what club to hit. What I hated about it was that I had to "Touch" the tags to the watch before each shot.

I was wondering how this model communicates which club you hit? Do you have to do the same thing? Or does it communicate in some other way? Once I learn the tags to the unit, do I have to touch the unit before each shot again?

Incidentally, maybe you can answer a question for me. In my LINXGT watch, you had to "learn" the clubs to the watch to link them so it knew what club to hit. What I hated about it was that I had to "Touch" the tags to the watch before each shot.

I was wondering how this model communicates which club you hit? Do you have to do the same thing? Or does it communicate in some other way? Once I learn the tags to the unit, do I have to touch the unit before each shot again?

Not sure as I don't have the tags. I also have shot scope which I use for my stat tracking

Not sure as I don't have the tags. I also have shot scope which I use for my stat tracking
Man .... I can't get this question answered by anyone. Even SkyCaddie wouldn't respond

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Man .... I can't get this question answered by anyone. Even SkyCaddie wouldn't respond

Not surprised, that whole tag thing is like the lingering black eye for them.

Not surprised, that whole tag thing is like the lingering black eye for them.
Yeah that is the most annoying thing about the watch. You would think they could improve upon it

I think they're still doing the $50 trade-in value for any rangefinder, dead or alive.

I ended up ordering the SX500 from Skygolf’s website. I like my Bushnell Neo Phantom, but I really wanted a device that would let me see the entire hole, as well as the capability to get yardages to/from certain spots. Every phone app I tried drained the battery down way too much, so I decided to treat myself to a little Christmas gift!

I ended up ordering the SX500 from Skygolf’s website. I like my Bushnell Neo Phantom, but I really wanted a device that would let me see the entire hole, as well as the capability to get yardages to/from certain spots. Every phone app I tried drained the battery down way too much, so I decided to treat myself to a little Christmas gift!
I did the same thing

I played my first round using the SX500 today: aside from one restart due to software error (it let me resume my round upon restart), it performed pretty well. It was nice to get accurate yardages to/from all sorts of places on each hole; next round I might even try out the built-in scorecard feature. The screen was very easy to read, even with my old eyes. So far, I’m really liking the SX500.

I can't stop coming back to this.

I had the SGXw back in the day and loved everything about it. The yearly subscription is stupid, but, the effectiveness of what I experienced in the past is something I've missed for confidence.

I had the SGXw back in the day and loved everything about it. The yearly subscription is stupid, but, the effectiveness of what I experienced in the past is something I've missed for confidence.

I struggle with this. I had the SGX and loved it. Switched to a Garmin gps watch and liked the freedom of not carrying around the skycaddie but missed its functionality.

I also have a bushnell laser. Now with the purchase of my F9’s, I’m going to use the Arccos Caddie for a few months.

My struggle is with just how much stuff do I have on the course with me? I don’t want to be bogged down with too many gadgets.

Now if I just had the choice to use one, it would be this unit.

I was really, really disappointed by their booth this year at the show. A flagship product, and they didn’t even have it out on display. And really no one there to talk about it either :/

I hear that Rusty. Too much of a good thing for sure.

The ease of the rangefinder simply cannot be beat for a single yardage, but the confidence that is provided by saying "based on what I am looking at I have a 20 yard square I can hit into for success" is hard to ignore.

I was really, really disappointed by their booth this year at the show. A flagship product, and they didn’t even have it out on display. And really no one there to talk about it either :/

They are a funny company. In many ways, it almost feels like engagement like that is an inconvenience.

Do it! You know you wanna :act-up:

They are a funny company. In many ways, it almost feels like engagement like that is an inconvenience.

Pretty much. It sure didn’t help with wanting to upgrade my device at any time that’s for sure

Back