Cobra KING F9 SpeedBack Hybrid Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review as always James

The latest Cobra offerings have definitely got my attention, and I know I will have access to them in the not too distant future so they will definitely be swung at some point to see whether they have a chance of going in my bag

Really good review James. This one obviously is intriguing to me as I didn't really love the F8 version. The size you mention might be more up my alley for what I need/want it for. Although I for one miss nardo as an option, it does look really well done and I'm eager to check it out and see if it will find a spot in my bag next year.

really nice writeup.

i didn't find the f8 size to be very small, so i'm curious to see the f9 in hand.

i find it interesting that as left as james was off the tee, he was that much RIGHT off the deck.

fwiw, f8 hybrid was bonded as well, not adjustable.

i love my f8. but i much prefer the matte finish i've seen in the f9 pictures. size is a little troubling, but i'll still give it a hit if i can.

thanks for all the work you put into these reviews. it's always appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read everyone. I really appreciate it.

Nicely written James. I know the larger footprint isn't for everybody but I welcome it. Have a tendency of being shallow, exactly as you describe, and think this profile will indeed provide more confidence.

Your numbers were fairly consistent with it, too. Thanks for adding them.

Great review James.

A bonded hybrid and the matte finish definitely has me intrigued for this one and I could potentially put it in my MC bag.

The spin numbers are of interest as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review JMan. The Cobra f7 hybrid is probably the best hybrid I've ever used so I'm excited to hear how the f9 stacks up. Not too enthusiastic about the size (the f7 had a great shape/size) but I'll reserve my judgement until I can get it in hand. Could you explain a little bit about the rails? Are they a bit higher or lower than the f7 and is that why you feel more confident on the "hardpan" shots? Or did they make another change to the rails that make the hybrid feel a bit different to you?

Definitely a ponder club for me this year!

Another awesome reviews James, you covered all the bases, thank you. I realllllly fell in love with my F8 Hybrid (19*) although it took me a little bit of time to get used to it but once I got the confidence and just swung through it, I was very impressed and saw great flight and lots of distance. It sounds like the F9 has improved even further and I agree with your point on the rails, they look confidence inspiring. My F8 Nardo was great look but I do like the look of the matte grey., simple but all business.

Great review. I'm thinking this could be a weapon for people.

I'm thinking of this as a 2 Hybrid and am debating if I go to 4 hybrid or not.

Great and very thorough review James. As I read it the question that started formulating early was "I wonder what the spin is seeing we are both low sounds players" and low and behold you had some Insight and data to support it.

Sounds like a solid option that's I'll definitely have to try. I've hated hybrids forever but need to at least settle on one it a utility to minimize my gaps

Great review James! In the past I haven’t been a fan of hybrids mainly because of shape, size and setup. Seeing pictures of Speedback at setup it looks more like a metal wood, which would be more appealing to me.... PGASS visit is due

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review James.... I wonder what the 19* one length version will be like.

Thanks for reading everyone. Glad you enjoyed!

With the MC field set, I though this one could use a nudge. I'm sure most are more excited about the F9 driver and fairway reviews, but still I would venture we see some hybos in some bags.

With the MC field set, I though this one could use a nudge. I'm sure most are more excited about the F9 driver and fairway reviews, but still I would venture we see some hybos in some bags.

I can outright promise it. I’m just always so unsure with shaft choices!

instead the rails facilitated the strike really allowing me to be as aggressive down and through the ball as I wanted.

I went back and was reading thru and looking at pics and this stood out to me as it looks like they added a fin where the weight is and it really has me curious to the turf interaction vs the F7 hybrids that I last gamed.

Not leaning toward these as a choice, but I have not nixed it completely.

Need to see shaft offerings to see what the engine has to work with

I went back and was reading thru and looking at pics and this stood out to me as it looks like they added a fin where the weight is and it really has me curious to the turf interaction vs the F7 hybrids that I last gamed.

I was pretty critical of the F7 hybrids because, IMO, the rail depth was an issue on tighter lies and lead to me hitting the ball slightly above the equator at times leading to some height issues. Here though, I think they over two more iterations have found the sweet spot and I didn't have that issue off hard pan at all.

i adore the turf interaction on the f8 hybrid. to hear they improved it with the f9 is really exciting. being able to hit down aggressively more like an iron than a wood is a big bonus for me. my knock against the f8 was that it was extremely straight, just a little short. from @jman's review i'm not sure much has changed there, but that can totally fixed by going with a different loft.

As always, great review, Jman. When I read your review, I focused on the following:

“Part of that equation is that the hybrid produced a solid amount of spin for me, as seen in the data below it actually ranged from a 3100 average off the tee to 3850 off the deck, this situates it higher spin than some of the other 19° hybrids I have recently reviewed and that in and of itself made it more playable into greens.”

My swing lends to higher spin with woods and hybrids. My swing speed is pretty good for my age, but average overall, with driver ss of 100 to 102, but I get much better performance with low spin models in woods and hybrids. For my game, a hybrid in that 18 to 20 degree slot is indispensable. Indeed, my scoring would suffer signficantly without it. I found the F8 hybrid to spin significantly more than my Titleist 818s and the Rogues, which I interchange at times. I am not that familiar with the Atmos shafts. Inasmuch as I will soon be making choices for the MC, do you think I will need to look more at a driving iron in that slot, or would the F9 hybrid with a low spinning shaft option be ok? I know I am asking you to speculate, without knowing my swing from personal observation.

As always, great review, Jman. When I read your review, I focused on the following:

“Part of that equation is that the hybrid produced a solid amount of spin for me, as seen in the data below it actually ranged from a 3100 average off the tee to 3850 off the deck, this situates it higher spin than some of the other 19° hybrids I have recently reviewed and that in and of itself made it more playable into greens.”

My swing lends to higher spin with woods and hybrids. My swing speed is pretty good for my age, but average overall, with driver ss of 100 to 102, but I get much better performance with low spin models in woods and hybrids. For my game, a hybrid in that 18 to 20 degree slot is indispensable. Indeed, my scoring would suffer signficantly without it. I found the F8 hybrid to spin significantly more than my Titleist 818s and the Rogues, which I interchange at times. I am not that familiar with the Atmos shafts. Inasmuch as I will soon be making choices for the MC, do you think I will need to look more at a driving iron in that slot, or would the F9 hybrid with a low spinning shaft option be ok? I know I am asking you to speculate, without knowing my swing from personal observation.

Haha, that's the question with no absolute answer until you hit them dude. I know that isn't a fun answer, but, its the right one. I'm a low spin guy with most long hybos anywho, but, for me I have always seen more spin in the utilities. That is why I have actually moved from a 4hy to a 4u recently, I need the added spin.

I think the F9 is going to be more similar to the F8 than it is different though, if that makes sense. It definitely feels, to me, like the evolutionary design of the line and not the revolution that the drivers and fairways are claiming.

i adore the turf interaction on the f8 hybrid. to hear they improved it with the f9 is really exciting. being able to hit down aggressively more like an iron than a wood is a big bonus for me. my knock against the f8 was that it was extremely straight, just a little short. from @jman's review i'm not sure much has changed there, but that can totally fixed by going with a different loft.

For what I want the hybrid for the bolded would not be problem for me.

For what I want the hybrid for the bolded would not be problem for me.

what i found was that the 4 hybrid had better launch conditions than my tec 5 iron, but was actually shorter when both were hit well. also the 4h seemed to spin a good bit. not a bad thing at all, but when you're building a set and your irons are supposed to be strong lofts, lower spin, higher launch, sliding a hybrid into the next spot was challenging when the performance wasn't of the same vein.

I was in my local Drummond golf shop today testing the new F9 fairways and hybrids. I had high hopes of a 3-4 or 5-6 fairway wood beating out my current 5w but I didn’t get along with them at all. Then we tried a 19* F9 hybrid and it was incredible straight away. With a good takeaway, I was hitting it nice and high with a slight draw. Both off the deck and the tee it was just as long as the 5w but so much more consistent for me. Shot after shot I just kept hitting the middle of the face and the sound for me is a real pleasing crack when you nut it.
To give an idea of numbers. Good strikes off the deck with The F9 were going around 210y carry and 220y total. Off the tee I hit 4 or 5 shots that went 215y carry and 235y total. My 1 best strike with my 5w was off the tee and it went 236y total.

So the hybrid is going the same distance as the 5w, is also way more consistent and such a more versatile club with the rails etc. I was hoping to gain some distance but I don’t think I swing quick enough for a 17* 2H. Nor did he have one to try. 235y is as far as I’ve hit anything on a monitor that wasn’t a driver. I go back in tomorrow to pick it up with a new grip. I will report back after it’s first round on Saturday.

Back