steep uphill stance for chip/pitch....how to do it?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
a common place at on of my home courses is elevated green and often if your ball is a little long it ends up rolling down a steep backside. It could be just a few feet off the green or a few yards but the hill is often steep. I understand the general rule of thumb is to keep the shoulders parallel with the ground for full swings and I thought the same would also apply to pitch/chip shots too and not certain about that but even if 5that is correct what do you do when the hill is too steep to do this without losing balance.

It does work for me for full shots and also for chip/pitch when the hill is less sloped and I can balance with the shoulders parallel to the slope of the ground. But when too steep (which often happens) I'm not sure how to stand and play this greenside shot that went off the rear and rolled to sit on a steep incline.

Last edited:
If I'm understanding the situation correctly, I would take something like a 54*/SW and just kinda of hit down at it/into the hill to pop it up and back onto the green. I would play this standing normally/straight up and just use the slope as basically an aid to launch the ball.

This makes sense to me, but I'm not sure anything I wrote just made sense to anyone else though. haha

If you couldn't play with the shoulders aligned to the slope the I would follow what cbaker said but have the weight leaning mor on the front foot, ball back in the stance and hit down on it.

I would say shoulders aligned to slope. Then remember the upslope adds loft to the club.

a common place at on of my home courses is elevated green and often if your ball is a little long it ends up rolling down a steep backside. It could be just a few feet off the green or a few yards but the hill is often steep. I understand the general rule of thumb is to keep the shoulders parallel with the ground for full swings and I thought the same would also apply to pitch/chip shots too and not certain about that but even if 5that is correct what do you do when the hill is too steep to do this without losing balance.

It does work for me for full shots and also for chip/pitch when the hill is less sloped and I can balance with the shoulders parallel to the slope of the ground. But when too steep (which often happens) I'm not sure how to stand and play this greenside shot that went off the rear and rolled to sit on a steep incline.

I was taught that the club follows the slope on chips and pitches.

I have my shoulders along the same plane as the downslope (or as much as possible) and play it like a regular chip - with the caveat that I need the ball to get up and land soft, so I will play it a little forward in my stance. And I do NOT quit on the swing - that leads to the ball making it about 3/4 up the hill and rolling back to where I am standing!!

I would say shoulders aligned to slope. Then remember the upslope adds loft to the club.

Slope in this case much too steep to align shoulders with it and still keep good balance.

I was taught that the club follows the slope on chips and pitches.

Not sure what your meaning by this?

I have my shoulders along the same plane as the downslope (or as much as possible) and play it like a regular chip - with the caveat that I need the ball to get up and land soft, so I will play it a little forward in my stance. And I do NOT quit on the swing - that leads to the ball making it about 3/4 up the hill and rolling back to where I am standing!!

Spivey, if we cant get the shoulders parallel to the slope after leaning them as much as possible then two things seem to happen. We start to obstruct our ability to have much weight on our front leg and also.....since we cant get parallel its sort of a moot point and another technique should probably be used. I don't dictate these things here but more a question/curiosity than anything else. And also forward? would that not tend to cause a bladed ball vs if we just hit down?
I'm sure with a 10ish cap things must be working out for you but just seems much of it may be going against the flow of the advice here for this situation.

I was taught that we keep our shoulders as parallel as we can comfortably get them and be careful not to swing the club into the slope (i.e., what I think Den60 means about the club's path following - or being parallel to - the slope of the ground).

And this is why this game is so crazy sometimes. And also why getting info can sometimes be just as useless as it may be helpful. The info (tips and how to's) just vary so much from one source to another and even get contradicting.

I just watched 4 different vids on a steep (or severe) uphill lie chip shot. And yet seen 3 different things suggested. . 2 vids show to stand with legs wide and weight back. Another showed legs close and must transfer most weight forward while another shows legs close but weight back. only one even mentioned ball position a all. The only thing common about all of them was that we don't want to swing into the hill but swing through. Only 1 mentioned no wrist break and minimal follow through while another followed through a whole lot.

Multiple ways to skin a cat.

I usually do legs wide, weight back, ball in middle of stance.

It doesn't work...just ask #15 at True Blue.

I think it depends on what technique one uses for regular chip shots, also.
I use the Pelz method for chipping. For that to work on an upslope, it requires small but important changes in stance and ball position. Weight still forward, shoulders still try to get parallel, but the swing stays the same while ball position changes a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a green side chip on an uphill slope is played like any other chip or pitch. Weight forward, ball back and hands forward. The key is to find your bottom with practice swings and then make sure the ball is positioned correctly. It's not a long shot so the shoulders do not need to be parallel to the slope.

I'd open stance and lean into hill.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

For a green side chip on an uphill slope is played like any other chip or pitch. Weight forward, ball back and hands forward. The key is to find your bottom with practice swings and then make sure the ball is positioned correctly. It's not a long shot so the shoulders do not need to be parallel to the slope.
Thanks Freddie. I'm officially changing my approach to this.

I agree. You will need a less lofted club than normal for the distance.

Back