Is having a job that is your passion a pipe dream?

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
I've been doing this Navy thing for just about 19 years now, and during that time I have seen and done plenty of cool stuff. While I'm proud of my service, it has never been something I'm truly passionate about. I should also mention that I'm incredibly grateful to have a job that's relatively secure because I know there are many that don't enjoy the same job security I do. With all that said though, I often wonder if having passion for one's job is a more of a product of a point of view or the work that is being done. One basis for comparison is my wife, who, as some of you know, is a professional photographer. There are definitely days when she doesn't enjoy certain things about running her own business, but that's to be expected and overall she is very passionate about what she does. I feel like that's what I'm missing, and I'm curious to hear what other THPers think!

I've been doing this Navy thing for just about 19 years now, and during that time I have seen and done plenty of cool stuff. While I'm proud of my service, it has never been something I'm truly passionate about. I should also mention that I'm incredibly grateful to have a job that's relatively secure because I know there are many that don't enjoy the same job security I do. With all that said though, I often wonder if having passion for one's job is a more of a product of a point of view or the work that is being done. One basis for comparison is my wife, who, as some of you know, is a professional photographer. There are definitely days when she doesn't enjoy certain things about running her own business, but that's to be expected and overall she is very passionate about what she does. I feel like that's what I'm missing, and I'm curious to hear what other THPers think!

I'd love to know the answer to this question, it's something I think about often. They say if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. That being said and using the golf industry as an example...all we hear is people who work in the industry never have the time to play. Does that take away from your passion? I'm not sure but if you find the answer let me know.

I know the feeling. I joined the AF with the intention of serving 4 years, separating, and joining the WVSP. After 20 years, the AF career ended, but I never did get on as a policeman. Most places cutoff at 45 and I'm 42 now. Thinking of making a last ditch effort to join somewhere before I'm too old. Leaning toward Northlake, TX now. Planning to initiate the process this evening. If I get in, I should be about 43 by the time I graduate the academy, I'm guessing.

Good luck to you in whatever you pursue. My advice, based on my experience from my 19 yr point in my military career to now... don't wait for the stars to align. Decide what you want and make it happen. Chances are, things won't be perfect, and you'll sacrifice along the way, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think the "Dream Job" is just that, a dream. At some point, you will get tired of doing what you do, or want/have to do something else.
I enjoy the job I have now, I make a decent living wage, not great but I survive. If I could find a similiar job where I made more $$'s would I leave? It's possible, but the grass isn't always greener. Just my thought.

i can speak to me, and what i think i know about myself. i also have work in an industry where i meet with successful people in myriad industries.

the tl;dr is some people work to live, and others live to work. if you are one of the latter, i think it's possible to find something you're passionate about and then have that pipe dream working life.

but me, i'm the former. i hate working, doesn't matter what that work would be. mostly it's because i hate the idea of having to do or be anywhere in particular, and lacking the freedom to do what i want when i want to. i have spoken to people involved in the things i love - music, wine, golf, film, food - and some speak about their careers with a twinkle in their eye, while others have a very noticeable fatigue come over their face after years of feeling beat down. and no, financial success doesn't differentiate one reaction vs the other.

This is really a multi layered question.

Can you find a job that involves your passion? Most likely, unless your passion is baboon wrangler.

Can you find a job that involves your passion and make a living? Possible, but less likely.

Can you find a job that involves your passion and make a comfortable living? Even less likely.

Can you find a job that involves your passion and become wealthy? Most likely not.

But if you go on Facebook or LinkedIn and read some quotes by billionaires, you would think that all you have to do is love making cookies for lizards, and the world will beat a path to your door and shower you with cash.

i can speak to me, and what i think i know about myself. i also have work in an industry where i meet with successful people in myriad industries.

the tl;dr is some people work to live, and others live to work. if you are one of the latter, i think it's possible to find something you're passionate about and then have that pipe dream working life.

but me, i'm the former. i hate working, doesn't matter what that work would be. mostly it's because i hate the idea of having to do or be anywhere in particular, and lacking the freedom to do what i want when i want to. i have spoken to people involved in the things i love - music, wine, golf, film, food - and some speak about their careers with a twinkle in their eye, while others have a very noticeable fatigue come over their face after years of feeling beat down. and no, financial success doesn't differentiate one reaction vs the other.

^^^^ This ^^^^^ Verbatim

I'd love to know the answer to this question, it's something I think about often. They say if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. That being said and using the golf industry as an example...all we hear is people who work in the industry never have the time to play. Does that take away from your passion? I'm not sure but if you find the answer let me know.

Ha, I've heard that saying and I suppose it goes to support the idea of controlling your attitude about things. Perhaps that's the key then. Just making the most of your current situation understanding it will never be perfect.

I know the feeling. I joined the AF with the intention of serving 4 years, separating, and joining the WVSP. After 20 years, the AF career ended, but I never did get on as a policeman. Most places cutoff at 45 and I'm 42 now. Thinking of making a last ditch effort to join somewhere before I'm too old. Leaning toward Northlake, TX now. Planning to initiate the process this evening. If I get in, I should be about 43 by the time I graduate the academy, I'm guessing.

Good luck to you in whatever you pursue. My advice, based on my experience from my 19 yr point in my military career to now... don't wait for the stars to align. Decide what you want and make it happen. Chances are, things won't be perfect, and you'll sacrifice along the way, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So I joined with one primary goal and that was getting commissioned. Obviously getting there wasn't exactly a straight path from A to B, and as such I've been on plenty of adventures getting to the point I'm at now. I think part of my issue is I'm on the downside of this career so I'm starting to consider 'what's next' because I don't want to do something that will cause me any angst. I guess I need to figure out exactly what my 'next' is and go from there!

I think the "Dream Job" is just that, a dream. At some point, you will get tired of doing what you do, or want/have to do something else.
I enjoy the job I have now, I make a decent living wage, not great but I survive. If I could find a similiar job where I made more $$'s would I leave? It's possible, but the grass isn't always greener. Just my thought.

Yessir, the ever present 'next thing will be better' is always lingering. Like I mentioned in the OP, I haven't much to be grateful for, but I'm not going to sit here and say I absolutely love what I'm doing, because I definitely do not. As I sit here and think about it though, it's becoming clear that the key will be making the most of what I do enjoy and managing the rest. Easier said than done for sure!

Put like that, I'm the former as well. And the 'having to do or be anywhere in particular' equates to the various meetings I have to attend on a weekly basis, haha!

This is really a multi layered question.

Can you find a job that involves your passion? Most likely, unless your passion is baboon wrangler.

Can you find a job that involves your passion and make a living? Possible, but less likely.

Can you find a job that involves your passion and make a comfortable living? Even less likely.

Can you find a job that involves your passion and become wealthy? Most likely not.

But if you go on Facebook or LinkedIn and read some quotes by billionaires, you would think that all you have to do is love making cookies for lizards, and the world will beat a path to your door and shower you with cash.

This is great...well said!

I met a guy not too long ago that said the advice he gives his kids is not to try to find work doing something they love, but to find a job that gives them freedom. His reasoning was that unless you love to work, it's still just going to be a job at the end of the day and you're not going to be all that excited about it no matter what field you're in. But if you find something that gives you freedom, you'll have more time to enjoy the things you love.

Everyone is certainly different, but for me, that advice seems to hold true. I generally like the field I work in, but I certainly don't live to work. If I win the Powerball tomorrow, I'll never have another job in my life. But since moving from a large employer to being self-employed (with two partners), I've had substantially more freedom to set my own schedule and prioritize as I see fit, instead of having those things dictated to me by people I barely know in a different state. The difference in my enjoyment of work (since I have to do it) is substantial.

Having a job that is your passion is probably a pipe dream for most I would imagine. Having a job that you enjoy on the other hand is quite achievable. I’ve been working in aviation since the late 90’s (with a couple of years break when I moved over here), and still enjoy it now as much as when I first started as a twenty something year old.
Having taken a job that I ****ing hated when I first moved over here, I have great sympathy for folk that are in a job they don’t enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my 30 or so years in working various positions in retail, I can honestly say that passion for what I was doing never was a factor in why I was working. I was basically working to retire. My goal was to retire at 50 which I only missed by a little less than 3 years. In the past 11.5 months, I can honestly say that the thought of missing working has never crossed my mind.

I think that for most people it is a pipe dream. Most people have to do whatever work pays the bills, even if that means doing a job that they hate. Most dont have the luxury of doing a job that is their passion. Thats just reality.

I’ve yet to meet someone who took their passion and worked in the same field. If I enjoy my job, I can be passionate about it. After college, I was an English teacher for eight years in South Florida and loved it but the pay sucked so I left the profession. I always thought that after retirement from where I am now, I would like to teach at a college, possibly English Literature or creative writing because it would be great to be back in the field and not have to worry about the pay rate. Hope some of you out there have the ability to work in your dream job field!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's wonderful if you can find something your passionate about and turn that into a well paying Job but for most people I think Jobs are a means to a end.
I am happy if I am not completely miserable while at work. :beat-up:

No. See my occupation

Sent from HTX

Sadly, most people make sacrifices to do what they need to do (i.e. working at a job to pay bills, feed the family, etc.) and their dream gets put on hold.
Like my mom. She was a RN for 35+ years; worked her butt off to raise me and my brother. I had a conversation recently with her and she always wanted to be a photographer. I didn't know this. I feel grateful and thankful for sure. I owe my life to her. Now, she's retired, traveling the country in a RV, taking amazing photos and making good money doing it. I'm glad she didn't give up on her dream because seeing her work, she definitely meant to be a photographer.

The point is, I see very few people doing what they aspire to be when they were younger. Doesn't mean that dream goes away completely.
Me, I work (very good at what I do) to keep my dream alive. Dream of being a chef. I get to practice, learn new culinary skills and always refining what I know already because I'm doing what I need to do.
I will be a chef one day. Succeed or Fail, I owe myself to at least try.

Last edited:
It is extremely tough to find a career that is sustainabe in a field you're passionate about. I think it can be done, but to what extent. When I started in my career, I was extremely passionate about it. I loved every part of it, and made a pretty good living doing it. Over the years, things have changed and it has become more of a necessity for income than a passion.

No, but you have to be somewhat realistic. I have friends and family who make a living doing their dream job. If your dream job is to be an astronaut on the international space station, then it may be a pipe dream. Most of the jobs that I have had have been what I enjoy doing. My dream job is to be a writer, which is a long shot, but attainable. But I do think there is something noble about working and being responsible and doing what you love on the side. When I talk to the younger generation there seems to be this idealization (and sometimes entitlement) of the "dream job." So much so that they kind of cripple their futures by chasing it. So I say pursue what you want, but have a backup plan, be reasonable and don't make your family suffer.

When I graduated high school, I joined the Marines and thought that I would do twenty and that would be my dream job. Well, I made the decision to get out after 4 years and go to college because sometimes your “dreams” aren’t as great in reality. But that’s ok. I read earlier that you either live to work or work to live. That couldn’t be stated anymore succinct. I am definitely a work to live guy and I like my job, but it isn’t my passion. I am very happy with my life outside of work and that is where my passions lie.

Good thread, Mr Hicksa.

When I graduated high school, I joined the Marines and thought that I would do twenty and that would be my dream job. Well, I made the decision to get out after 4 years and go to college because sometimes your “dreams” aren’t as great in reality. But that’s ok. I read earlier that you either live to work or work to live. That couldn’t be stated anymore succinct. I am definitely a work to live guy and I like my job, but it isn’t my passion. I am very happy with my life outside of work and that is where my passions lie.

Good thread, Mr Hicksa.

I think you nailed it with what's in bold!

I am lucky enough to have a job/career that many people would absolutely consider to be their dream job. Is it mine? I don't know.

I often wonder if I would be happier if I had gone into law or finance as I had originally planned. Not likely, but I guess I'll never know.

Like some others, I love what I do, but I don't particularly LIKE to work. I'd much rather be traveling or spending time with family and friends. I am fortunate enough that I can take time off when I feel like I need a break (coming off a two year hiatus right now.)

I think my dislike of work comes from having a strong work ethic. When I get into something it consumes me. I tend not to leave things unfinished, but that prevents me from doing what I would rather be doing. I imagine you career military guys suffer from a similar problem.

Now you have to ask yourself if you would actually be happy in you "dream" job. When I am working I am happy, but I am happier when I'm not.

If this sounds like you I don't think it matters what you do. Find something that doesn't drive you insane and make the most of every minute of free time. That's a dream come true.

I don't think going to work should be the part of your day you look forward most.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

I've done a little more than 16 in the Army, and I kinda agree. It's tough to find something that's really your passion because there's so many "additional duties" that make it tough to feel like you've spent your day on stuff that really clicks for you.

That said, I realized not too long ago that I want the following things: I want to do something challenging and I want to work with smart people. And while that's kind of a low bar, it's nice to see, and it's led me on a pretty crazy path. I'm not sure what I'll do once I retire in a few years. I'm working on a degree in marketing and I'd love to work in brand development for a golf entity of some kind. But that would still be hopefully a mix of smart people and a challenging work role.

Either way, the day I realize I can carry around a little book that has the answers to all the questions I might encounter today, I'll know it's time to move on.

My dream job involves athletic ability that I know I do not possess. So My passion runs deep for all things sports related. I kick myself in the ass a lot for not pursuing my career path for sports broadcasting/reporting before life got in the way.

So I just found something that keeps me on my toes and has me constantly learning/evolving. Something secure and that will always be in demand. I cannot do a job where I don’t constantly learn or feel like it’s repetitive. That would be the death of me professionally. What I do now I’m constantly learning and I’m constantly evolving.

As a father of two girls, wife, dogs and a mortgage, I’m making the best of it bc that’s the path the lord has laid out for me. I choose to look at the glass half full and not chase the “what if”.

I am going to read the posts before me before posting this and I imagine most of what I read will say the same thing. Do something you love is a total load of crap. What people should be told is do something that pays you enough and gives you the time to do the things you love while you are not working.

Edited to include: Tell your kids to focus on math or learn a trade. In my experiences the vast majority of people I meet with an income that maintains a family and leaves some leftover for hobbies with expensive toys like golf, camping, hunting, boating, etc. almost always have a trade or are in a math related field. I feel like a lot of others have time and no money or money and no time.

Last edited:
In my 30 or so years in working various positions in retail, I can honestly say that passion for what I was doing never was a factor in why I was working. I was basically working to retire. My goal was to retire at 50 which I only missed by a little less than 3 years. In the past 11.5 months, I can honestly say that the thought of missing working has never crossed my mind.

Those are my sentiments exactly. I retired six months ago just after I turned 53 and have not missed being at work at all. I was lucky to have a 30-year career in sales that I liked, but it wasn't my passion. I worked for a great company the last 20 years and my position in outside sales allowed me to golf about 75 days a year and ski about 40. I was also able to coach my kids, exercise almost every day, travel, cycle, etc. I'm much more passionate about all my hobbies than I was about my work.

My wife is as close to loving what she does as anyone I know, and it has made her very successful. She, like the others I know that have climbed to the top of the corporate ladder all claim to "love" their jobs but money is a part of what keeps them working. Few of them will admit it, but if the pay were the same as what they earned ten years ago, they would retire and embrace their hobbies. She said before getting her last promotion, "I've worked three decades to get an offer like this so have to take it and enjoy it for at least a few years." I made her promise she would retire by the time our youngest is a 17 which is less than four years away...

Back