Worst weather you have played in?

rozo22

Reaction score
Handicap
Watching the highlights from Torrey Pines made me wonder what's the worst weather you have played in?

For me it was when I played in a 3 day outing at Treetops in Northern Michigan in August and the weather was pouring rain and probably 60 degrees. They allowed us to play, so we played. And by pouring I mean buckets and duck ponds where the greens were. We were there, so might as well play.

30 mph winds, with rain that felt like needles hitting my face. In a word brutal!

Worst weather you have played in?

Watching the highlights from Torrey Pines made me wonder what's the worst weather you have played in?

For me it was when I played in a 3 day outing at Treetops in Northern Michigan in August and the weather was pouring rain and probably 60 degrees. They allowed us to play, so we played. And by pouring I mean buckets and duck ponds where the greens were. We were there, so might as well play.

I've played in some miserable weather at Treetops also, far worse than that. Try 38-40 degrees in a steady downpour. Then it snowed Saturday Night twice, lol.

But the worst weather I've played in was I got rained out at work, so I thought I'd try and squeeze a round before I went home. It was a steady 30-40 mph wind on top of the rain. It was so bad I got called back into work while on the golf course for storm work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya that treetops weather sucked

I played in an ice storm with 20 MPH winds and freezing! It hurt like hell but the ice didn't start till the back 9 and I was on pace to break par. Shot 77 instead, weather killed me.

I was at our industry outing about 10 years ago and it rained...and rained...and then it poured. We weren't anywhere near the clubhouse and just kept going because you can't get any wetter once you're already completely soaked through. Thankfully, I had a change of clothes for dinner.

And there was a benefit outing with a bunch of industry people a few years after that. It was a nice sunny day, but a storm popped up when we were on #11 or 12. The carts didn't have covers in the back so my friend tried to hold her umbrella over our bags as we drove. That ended up turning inside out. She had a white top on which was getting pretty wet so I gave her my jacket. The rain stopped..but turned to hail. The carts didn't have windshields either so we just got pelted in the face with hail as we tried to drive back to the clubhouse with barely any visibility. I didn't have a change of clothes so I drove to the bar and the A/C felt like it was on full blast. I almost caught my death of cold.

I have chipped off a frozen pond. It was cold and windy.

Ohio.

of course a down ppur is always bad. But worst round was in the humid heat. Well in the 90's or about 100 which that alone is not the worst but the humidity was unbearable that day you could almost see it. By the time we hit 14 we all began dogging it terribly. There was just no energy left in any of us. needles to say none of the foursome finished the round with any good play. And I drink a ton of water when its hot. in fact I drink a lot when its not even hot. But humidity takes a way oxygen and that's what takes a toll on you. in a way its like moderate suffocation.... after that round I can now understand how one can pass out in the humid heat even if hydrated.

Couple years ago visited my buddies up in TN. It was 28 degrees and breezy. I played in ski pants and a puffy jacket and never took my gloves off. Had a blast!

Growing up in Wisconsin/Minnesota as an avid teenage golfer I've played over 100 rounds in 35-45* weather with many memories of freezing rain and several days where it turned to snow. Nothing like hitting a thin blade 2 iron in 40* weather and having your hands tingle for 15 minutes afterwards! I've also played in some pretty humorous windy conditions in the mountains of Nevada. One day I remember having an approach shot against the wind from 135 yards and hitting a perfect 3 iron just short of the green. The next hole was a downwind 175 yard par 3 and I hit a gap wedge over the green.

Since moving to California in 1998 the worst weather I've played in is 50* and cloudy.

October 3-5 2014. (Buddies golf weekend in Wisconsin). We played Washington County and The Bog. 34 degrees, close to 25 mile winds with some sleet. Played 18-36-18 those three days. On a 175 yard par 3 hit driver and was about 50 yards short. The worst thing was that the next 6 weekends were all nicer than that weekend.

2 or 3 months ago played Salt Creek here in 20mph winds with gusts up to 35, cold in the 40s.

Yeah, not impressive but I do live in San Diego. :D

Vegas bachelor party February 2008 and we decide to go golfing in 40* temps. On the range almost every shot stung a bit, we were seeing sparks on the turf and I couldn't feel my right, non glove hand. After the first hole, a hail storm came thru and back to the clubhouse. We quit after 9 and went back to the tables. Such a bad idea!! Haha

Back in high school - sophomore year - state sectional golf tournament @ Cog Hill. October - mid 40's, an overcast, nasty grey sky, constant winds @ 20-25mph. A cold sideways rain that felt like frozen needles hitting your skin. On the first tee, par 5.... I'm the first group off.... I roll my tee shot. I roll my second shot. :beat-up: For my third shot, I hit a smooth 5 wood (probably the best 5 wood of my life - PURE!) and it hits the green and rolls in for an eagle. :bulgy-eyes: I proceed to shoot a cool 90. Thinking I had no chance of advancing, but little did I know at the time, I ended up missing the cut to advance by 1 stroke. :banghead:

A few summers ago I was playing local 9 holer with my boss.Massive thunderstorm came out of nowhere and we got trapped on the 5th hole shelter.The storm just hit like a typhoon,and we just sat in safety and watched the whole storm.All of a sudden it got strangely calm and the sky turned a darkish green.Literally 100 yards from us we wintessed 2 huge elm trees just get uprooted and shot up straight in the air.We later learned it was a mini tornado that was wintessed forming a 1/2 mile from our location.It wasn't full strength,but strong enough to pull the 2 trees out of the ground.Strangely we never felt the wind

The worst I remember was a pretty heavy sideways hail storm storm on the first hole which turned into driving rain in low to mid 30 temps and 30 mph winds.

Last edited:
A couple years ago i played in rain that was coming in sideways and it was even hard to stand up. We were praying for the greens to flood but they never did so we had to keep playing.

Started in 38 degree weather not too much wind frozen greens. Ended in 35 degree pouring rain couldn't feel a single finger soaked through rain clothes and every cup flooded with ice water so best bet is get close enough for a gimme so you didn't get the rain gloves soaked through because once you did it was over for feeling if you were even a holding a golf club.

55 degrees, drizzle, with 20 mph winds and gusts up to 35 mph. Shot a net even to place second. I lowered the loft on my driver to 9.5* before the round and played knockdowns the entire day. If I could just keep from having a blow up hole, I knew I'd do fine because everyone's score was going to balloon.

Sleet and rain with winds gusting into the mid 20's mph range. Couple hundred in skins on the line (during college that might as well been a million) and one friend whom was hitting particularly well that day called it: Anybody quits forfeits. So we gutted through it and yes I "drew the sword from the stone" and was king!!! Crazy long 30+ foot double breaker in the sleeting cold for the bird and win!!!

I played in snow in the Iowa Regional in College and they called the matches for the day when we reached the 10th hole. I have also played in 45 degree with strong wind and rain (that sucked)

Played 10 of 18 holes in steady rain. Wind wasn't too bad but the rain was brutal.

A round last year with GolfinFF. Mid 30's at the beginning of the round, it started snowing halfway through the round. On 18 you couldn't really putt because there was too much snow on the ground.

The worst weather I played in was mid 30's with some snow flurries. Nothing crazy but it kind of sucked.

Back