Behind the Scenes with Worldwide Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
When you enter this golf mecca, you realize that you are not in just an ordinary golf store, but rather something extraordinary. We got a chance to sit down with Al Morris, CEO of Worldwide Golf and discuss the entire history of the brand and where they are headed in the future.

In Episode 1 of this series, we discuss the best golf store in the country, Roger Dunn Santa Ana location and why it's considered that by most. What makes it unique? How do they maintain it?

Enjoy Episode 1 and stay tuned for more episodes coming soon.

Excellent watch. As a retail veteran of almost 30 years, I can certainly appreciate the challenges of a store that massive. Would love to someday experience the ultimate golf toy store.

Thanks JB. You were spot on labeling them a Retail Destination Location. Amazing, I have to get out there.

That was pretty cool, I haven't even heard of Roger Dunn Golf stores before, I really need to check this place out sometime! Can't wait to see more on the next episode, nice work on this!

What an amazing store. Crazy how a vision can keep morphing into something like this. Reminds me a bit of THP to be honest, partnering with companies from the same segment and evolving into something unique.

Would love to have a place like that near me, with oem trained employees or reps there assisting upon demand. Very, very cool.

Love stopping by there every time I drive near or to Santa Ana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
That was pretty cool, I haven't even heard of Roger Dunn Golf stores before, I really need to check this place out sometime! Can't wait to see more on the next episode, nice work on this!

One of the best parts of the video is having it be done in his words, how it came to be and what it is. Its easy to see it and say "Love that store", but hearing it from Al in this series and his honesty and candor was/is really enjoyed.

What an amazing store. Crazy how a vision can keep morphing into something like this. Reminds me a bit of THP to be honest, partnering with companies from the same segment and evolving into something unique.

Would love to have a place like that near me, with oem trained employees or reps there assisting upon demand. Very, very cool.

It was nice to sit down with Al later that night at dinner and talk about the visions.

Good stuff! Golf Mart was the only game in town in Monterey (still is) and there are two Roger Dunns here on Oahu, but I'm guessing the combined size of the two is significantly smaller than the Santa Ana store! I'll definitely be dropping in at some point once I get back to CA. Since it's near Disneyland mrs.hicksta will have zero issue going up there, haha!

a great insight into Roger Dunn and how they came to be. Interesting to know they have OEM guys working there throughout the week to help guide consumers. Great idea IMO>

Awesome video and great info, really didn't know much about the brand besides the online presence and social contests. What an amazing large store! Big kids candy store sounds about right. Seems like it would be demo day everyday.

When you enter this golf mecca, you realize that you are not in just an ordinary golf store, but rather something extraordinary. We got a chance to sit down with Al Morris, CEO of Worldwide Golf and discuss the entire history of the brand and where they are headed in the future.

In Episode 1 of this series, we discuss the best golf store in the country, Roger Dunn Santa Ana location and why it's considered that by most. What makes it unique? How do they maintain it?

Al Morris said at one time there was a "PGA teaching center" (or something like that), within the store. I hope that golf retail store fronts selling equipment and, or, fitting services evolves to include golf technique instruction. More than any other factor, I think player technique improvement is the primary challenge to growing the game of golf.
One unique aspect of Worldwide Golf Shops, I think, is that as the company grew through acquisitions, it maintained the acquired store (s) name, such as GolfMart, Vans etc... Most chain store operators prefer to use only one store front name, but Worldwide seems to have the opposite philosophy, which I like.

Interesting insight. Only know from online and Edwin Watts stores in Florida.

Behind the Scenes with Worldwide Golf

Love me some roger Dunn. The Santa Ana location is absolutely massive but I rarely make it down there. My local one has filled my entire bag other than putter and wedges

See the video Is like walking into the Mall of America for the first time, but with just golf everywhere.

My area has nothing more then a Golf Galaxy. We need to at least get a PGA super store this way one day. I have yet another reason to move to California.

a great insight into Roger Dunn and how they came to be. Interesting to know they have OEM guys working there throughout the week to help guide consumers. Great idea IMO>

not only are they OEM trained but they are using the same software the specific OEM uses.

not only are they OEM trained but they are using the same software the specific OEM uses.

Did you watch this one yet alez? The reason I ask is he kind of says that, and that not only are they OEM trained, some companies have their's staffed on their own with an employee.

Had the chance to speak with Al on the podcast a little while back. Really cool guy, totally down to earth. His company is growing exceptionally well and will continue to do so for years.

That’s a good golf store. That’s what more should be like. Now I’m sad because I don’t have one here.

Did you watch this one yet alez? The reason I ask is he kind of says that, and that not only are they OEM trained, some companies have their's staffed on their own with an employee.

Not yet but it’s cued up for watching at lunch. Having worked for Golf Mart, it was nice to have that option available in house rather than wait weeks to months for anything local to open up.

Roger Dunn in West LA has always been my golf Mecca, but the big store puts it to shame. I am secretly glad I don't live closer. I already get into enough trouble.

I guess I'm lucky. The Santa Ana Roger Dunn is my go-to golf store. It's 10 minutes from my office. Will probably swing by there today at lunch, in fact.

To expand on that.....
When I got fitted last year, I started with a guy on staff at Roger Dunn who's well known there as the 'best' fitter they have. We did irons one day, and then woods another day. It just so happened that the Callaway clubs were working the best for me. So with my driver, for example, we had settled on the Epic over any other OEM's offerings. Then that fitter took me into the Callaway room, and he AND the Callaway-employed fitter worked together to find me the best shaft, loft, etc. combo.

When I went back months later and added a 3-wood to the bag, same process.

**EDIT:
And they're pretty honest guys. I took my TM hybrids into the Callaway room for a little head-to-head to see if the Rogue hybrids would produce anything better. They didn't. The Callaway guy basically said, "I can take your money if you want, but you might as well keep what you have there."

I need to check out this store at some point. It sounds/looks incredible. The "store within a store" concepts are brilliant.

That place looks amazing. It's pretty cool that some companies have their own staff there for their booths. It sounds like a place you good spend a good chunk of the day in.

Great video, cool to see how the merchandising aspect is built.

Also the background behind the Roger Dunn name.

The Nike Room looks spectacular, would be awesome to shop that.

Back