Cjgolf25

Reaction score
Handicap
Quick question; looking to upgrade my wedges for 2019 and really looking hard into SM7. I want to do a wedge fitting and thought about going to the PGA SS for it but I have reservation about doing an indoor wedge fitting. Every fitting I have ever done has been indoor but I have never done a wedge fitting at all and I have read part of the process it see your interaction with the turf. Anyone ever do a wedge fitting at PGA SS or any indoor facility. Thoughts, pros, cons etc?

I think for wedges you’re going to want to see turf interaction and I don’t think synthetic is going to cut it for that.

gotta do it outdoors. indoors would be a waste imho. any chance you have titleist thursdays around you?

gotta do it outdoors. indoors would be a waste imho. any chance you have titleist thursdays around you?

Unfortunately no but as luck would have it there is a golf course by me that does Titleist fittings so I’m gonna have to see if it’s outside and price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For grinds I would do that outdoors for short game shots. If you have the time you can just pick up some used older titleist wedges in different grinds if you dont have a facility nearby.

UPDATE:

So I went for a fitting that was conducted outdoor on grass with Pro V1s and Trackman. It goes without saying how important fittings are especially when it comes to wedges and wedge grind. If I were to just order them on the fly I would have ordered a 50 F (08), 54 F (14) and 58 K (14). I also would have either gone with standard lie or maybe 1 degree upright and/or -.25 length.

After my fitting, my setup will be a 50 F (08), 54 S (10) and 58 D (08). We measured my current set of irons and the fitter concluded that staying with standard length will flow into my set perfectly. The big shocker to me was that I needed to be 2 degrees flat, which I would never guess in a million years especially because I have a very steep angle of attack.

Wedge Fittings

UPDATE:

So I went for a fitting that was conducted outdoor on grass with Pro V1s and Trackman. It goes without saying how important fittings are especially when it comes to wedges and wedge grind. If I were to just order them on the fly I would have ordered a 50 F (08), 54 F (14) and 58 K (14). I also would have either gone with standard lie or maybe 1 degree upright and/or -.25 length.

After my fitting, my setup will be a 50 F (08), 54 S (10) and 58 D (08). We measured my current set of irons and the fitter concluded that staying with standard length will flow into my set perfectly. The big shocker to me was that I needed to be 2 degrees flat, which I would never guess in a million years especially because I have a very steep angle of attack.

Glad you went to a fitting and it sounds like it was an eye opener. But...FYI 2° flat wouldn’t be cause your steep angle of attack. 2° flat and standard length is same as 1/4 inch off length or so(for wedge lengths). Also,you can’t be steep and have flat lies on clubs. If you have flat lie angles then you’re swinging the club flat.

I had same thought as you when I got fit for my new clubs,but my steepness was from a swing fault. Not that myself or yourself actually swing up and down steeply. I was getting the club caught behind me and lifting my body up to clear and thus flipping to get it back. Caused my hands to raise up and shaft angle to steepen. Hope you like your new wedges OP. Enjoy them.

Glad you went to a fitting and it sounds like it was an eye opener. But...FYI 2° flat wouldn’t be cause your steep angle of attack. 2° flat and standard length is same as 1/4 inch off length or so(for wedge lengths). Also,you can’t be steep and have flat lies on clubs. If you have flat lie angles then you’re swinging the club flat.

I had same thought as you when I got fit for my new clubs,but my steepness was from a swing fault. Not that myself or yourself actually swing up and down steeply. I was getting the club caught behind me and lifting my body up to clear and thus flipping to get it back. Caused my hands to raise up and shaft angle to steepen. Hope you like your new wedges OP. Enjoy them.

Fair point, the fitter did say that may hands are low at impact which I would imagine would be another reason for the flat lie angle.

Back