The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went today and at least with my irons it seemed to come together finally. I've been moving away from a modified S&T type swing back to my natural swing and this has been a long process since November. For the past month I've been fighting through early extension and working to get the club back on plane with a normal weight shift. Now it's one swing with all clubs instead of one for irons and one for driver.

I went through a rough patch at the range, but once I found the zone I kept it.

I know want you are going thru. The same issues I have been battling since sep/oct last year

Yep, only one way to beat it, to get to work and to get a trained eye on it while doing so.

Spent some time on the trackman yesterday. Club path numbers right where I want them. However face is wide open at impact with the irons. Have lesson with my coach next Friday hopefully that solves some of the issues.

Few swing changes over the winter and after 2 rounds today it's been confirmed that I am firmly stuck between two swings haha. I've got a lot of work cut out for me in the early season

Headed to my home course range this morning with Preston and despite the cold it was a fairly good session again. Swing seems to be coming along nicely shaking off the winter rust so looking forward to my driver fitting on Friday

Yep, only one way to beat it, to get to work and to get a trained eye on it while doing so.

Yep. Been working on swing length using a mirror since outdoor practice isn't an option but will be seeing my instructor once thereafter breaks again.

I found something yesterday at the end of my range session and it worked to perfection today as well. I wasn't quite completing my shoulder turn, it's almost though I have to feel my right shoulder moving hard towards the target on the backswing. Anyway, the last two days is the best I've hit the ball in many months. It's especially good with the long irons and my fairway woods off the deck.

Spent some time at the chipping green today since that part of my game has been a real struggle with shots that are really fat or really thin. I think I got some things worked out; I was dropping down on my right side so I worked on trying to keep the lower body a still. Still need to work on distance control and be able to take it to the course. I see that I need to get a lot more practice......might be digging up the backyard this week!

Time to re-dedicate to my putting practice. Got my Tour Links all cleaned up last night (de-pugified) and had the Doc record my putting stroke for me, it has gotten so sloppy/lazy that it is embarrassing.

There will be MAJOR re-committing to that, stance, posture, grip, shoulder rock, and alignment. Its going to be putting boot camp nightly.

With the weather, I continued to work on my putting. I going to do an experiment with one of my putters as I seemed to missing everything to the left with it. I going to have the lie changed by 3 degrees and increase the loft, as I have a large forward press to my stroke.

Spent some time at the chipping green today since that part of my game has been a real struggle with shots that are really fat or really thin. I think I got some things worked out; I was dropping down on my right side so I worked on trying to keep the lower body a still. Still need to work on distance control and be able to take it to the course. I see that I need to get a lot more practice......might be digging up the backyard this week!

Are the courses down your area devoid of snow?? I haven't been down in a few weeks obviously since the snow. I need to play soon. You can only practice so much in the basement.

Range session during lunch. 50 balls using a drill to help improve my ball striking with irons. Then 10 full shots afterwards. Trying to ingrain hitting down and through the ball. Went well. Followed that up with 20 minutes putting practice. Need to do this 3 or 4 times a week.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

It's Feb 1 and 55 degrees, and I need to put in work to be ready for #THPRegionalRivalry! The swing was a bit rusty (TeedUpThoughts will attest to that after our callout!) but once I stopped being overactive with my wrists and making a full shoulder turn, I was pounding some nice straight irons with great trajectory.

87054a54977afd02b013d2b50c893aba.jpg

Not sure how well this pic'll come out, but based on face impact I definitely need some more practice time. And I'll put it in, too, in order to be ready to represent New England!

889b7d9688c307abb25c0730ec53b372.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actively hunting a new teaching professional. Looks more and more like Tulsa is the place I'll have to go.

I was able to get out for a bucket today, 70 degree weather in february is pretty rare.

I pulled the R15 and put my 905R back in the bag in an effort to get back top what's familiar and predictable and I'm pretty sure the R15 has run it's course in there, it was pretty foolish to get caught up in the distance game because I don't need it, when I went after distance I lost accuracy.

The 905 is almost as long as the R15 but what I found was my accuracy and workability with the 905 is fantastic, the 15 is pretty awesome too but the Titleist won the slot in the bag.

My wedges were rough, the distance control was marginal at best and the left right direction was frustrating, lots of work to be done there.

The irons were the starz of the day, granted it was mats only but I hit the center of the face most of the time and even though my accuracy was off a few yards, I was still hitting targets with regularity. I need a solid at the range to gain some control back and I'm hopeful that by April I can have a decent game in the bag.

The long irong were a little loose but the TM MB is by far the best long iron blade I've ever hit, it's effortless to get the height I need for soft approaches and so easy to control the distance and direction it's not even funny.

It's back to fundamentals and time to stick with what works for my game, no more straying from my bag, it's time to get low again.

Heading to the range tonight - going to try to work on the driver tonight. Was going to go last night, but went and took care of my body instead - got a massage, and have an appt with the chiro tomorrow. All that shoveling beat me up a bit! Did work on putting a bit when I got home. Simply trying to smooth my stroke out on a more consistent basis. Can't wait to get to an actual practice putting green!

Going out for a practice round today. Should be interesting, haven't swung a club since the end of December.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Going to try and get to the range this afternoon. Weight transfer and tempo are the two key things I want to focus on today.

Sending out active feelers to find a new instructor. Its time to get serious, finally.

Sending out active feelers to find a new instructor. Its time to get serious, finally.
I have been doing this also. The range I go doesnt have any PGA pros available, I might have to pay a little more but I really think this is the way to go to get to single digits this year.

interviewing perspective instructors or trying to see who is more available for your schedule?

Going for one in particular, consistently rated best in OK, but, we shall see on the time and $$$

Worked on short wedges and chip shots today. Trying to get the short game in shape. I have to really concentrate on keeping my hands moving forward on shorter shots.

More work on the drill to reinforce striking down on the ball today. Hit about 40 balls with the drill and then 20 full swings. All using 8-iron.
Followed up with 25 minutes putting practice.

More work on the drill to reinforce striking down on the ball today. Hit about 40 balls with the drill and then 20 full swings. All using 8-iron.
Followed up with 25 minutes putting practice.

Good stuff Randy! One thing that helped me was one thing my old instructor had me do. He had me concentrate on hitting down where the ball would be- without a ball - and take a divot. Then he had me extend that divot out further each time. For some reason, that worked like a charm for me! My son struggles with hitting down on the ball, and I always tell him about this drill - I'll show him this one as well - maybe he'll listen to you haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back