Android Phone Thread

I really love the photos I take with my note 5 but I guess I just don't use it the way it was intended. It doesn't even allow me to follow along with golf gamebook for the THP events. I find this unacceptable!!

Sadly I am stuck with it because of stupid Verizon edge program. Ugh.

I really love the photos I take with my note 5 but I guess I just don't use it the way it was intended. It doesn't even allow me to follow along with golf gamebook for the THP events. I find this unacceptable!!

Sadly I am stuck with it because of stupid Verizon edge program. Ugh.
I had to side load GGB on my phone. Wouldn't install from play store on 6.0.1. But it works perfectly fine for me.

I had to side load GGB on my phone. Wouldn't install from play store on 6.0.1. But it works perfectly fine for me.
I have no idea how to do that, can you explain?

Do you have a clean apk? Quick search has found nothing but adware/Spyware. Would like to give it a shot.

The G5 looks pretty sick.. IDK how much I'd use the modular capability but it is interesting. The only downside I see with the phone is the removal of the app drawer.

Removable battery kind of offsets it's size, though. I'm not sure about the launcher. I'm thinking he said no (android authority) but not sure.. They took it away because of their market research. They must've only asked apple users.

The article I read said it would specifically be easier for Apple users.

The lack of homescreen customization and lack of a tray were two of my biggest complaints when I switched to ios. No way would thus be an option for me if I can't have the tray back.
I am pretty interested in the G5 but this is the first I've heard of App Drawer removal. I've never used an I-anything so I'm not sure what that would be like.

I am pretty interested in the G5 but this is the first I've heard of App Drawer removal. I've never used an I-anything so I'm not sure what that would be like.
Frustrating, it is frustrating. I've always kept a homepage with all the apps I use frequently, a second page for the apps I use pretty often, and then keep them all in the drawer where I can find them quickly due to being in alphabetical order. I could never find those apps when I was on the fruit phone.

The s7 has an option to turn it off. I hope this isn't a shift away from the app drawer.

It appears my concerns have some merit as posted by Android authority on YouTube. Speculating Android N will do away with app drawer.

I had iPhone for years and the switch to Android wasn't difficult or confusing. I much prefer app drawer.

Ugh. Still waiting for the PRIV to come to Verizon. Looks like it could be another two months. The hardware may be obsolete by then.

I'm never buying a non-Nexus phone again. The 6P is amazing. Crazy-fast, even compared to the still fairly new LG G3, Android without any bloat ware or proprietary launchers is so smooth and fast, and reception is really really good. Only complaint is that it's a very tall phone vertically, with bigger margins than I'm used to, which takes some adjusting too, and it feels less easy to maneuver to get to the entirety of the screen, especially without manipulating the side buttons, which are very sensitive, IMO. The fingerprint sensor is incredibly responsive, and the best means of unlocking a phone I've come across.

I kinda wish a different company than Huawei made the phone, but it's still an incredible upgrade, especially when I consider I paid $200 less than I would have paid for a Galaxy S6 Edge.

I'm never buying a non-Nexus phone again. The 6P is amazing. Crazy-fast, even compared to the still fairly new LG G3, Android without any bloat ware or proprietary launchers is so smooth and fast, and reception is really really good. Only complaint is that it's a very tall phone vertically, with bigger margins than I'm used to, which takes some adjusting too, and it feels less easy to maneuver to get to the entirety of the screen, especially without manipulating the side buttons, which are very sensitive, IMO. The fingerprint sensor is incredibly responsive, and the best means of unlocking a phone I've come across.

I kinda wish a different company than Huawei made the phone, but it's still an incredible upgrade, especially when I consider I paid $200 less than I would have paid for a Galaxy S6 Edge.

I'm still loving mine. Took me about a week to adjust to the size and how to navigate it with one hand.

Completely agree regarding Nexus devices.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Totally agree with you on the Nexus devices. I have the 6 and love this phone.

Question though you speak very highly of the phone but then said that you wish Huawei wasn't the company that made it. Just wondering why?

Totally agree with you on the Nexus devices. I have the 6 and love this phone.

Question though you speak very highly of the phone but then said that you wish Huawei wasn't the company that made it. Just wondering why?

Within the US side of the cyber-security world, there's been some back and forth as far as security concerns. Depending on who you ask, they are somewhere between comfortable working within Chinese government frameworks, similar to Cisco here in the United States, and effectively function as the People's Liberation Army's primary network infrastructure provider, including writing backdoors into their devices and giving the PLA the key...like I said, depends on who you ask.

I'm less worried about individual devices like a phone, but I still wish an organization based in the United States had constructed this particular model.

Within the US side of the cyber-security world, there's been some back and forth as far as security concerns. Depending on who you ask, they are somewhere between comfortable working within Chinese government frameworks, similar to Cisco here in the United States, and effectively function as the People's Liberation Army's primary network infrastructure provider, including writing backdoors into their devices and giving the PLA the key...like I said, depends on who you ask.

I'm less worried about individual devices like a phone, but I still wish an organization based in the United States had constructed this particular model.
Got it. Man I hadn't even thought of it in that light

I'm a few days away from being able to upgrade my galaxy s5 and not sure which direction to go. I'm with Verizon and like the freedom of android but feel that I don't know enough to gain anything from them over the fruit phone. My S5 has been acting up lately with the screen flickering when being unlocked and taking multiple button presses before the screen will even light up. I hate all of the factory installed apps on my S5 that can't be uninstalled and taking up space.

Convince me why I should go with the S7 edge or similar and why I shouldn't go back to an iPhone. Thanks for any help.

edit: just realized this was my 1000th post and was completely unrelated to golf.

I'm a few days away from being able to upgrade my galaxy s5 and not sure which direction to go. I'm with Verizon and like the freedom of android but feel that I don't know enough to gain anything from them over the fruit phone. My S5 has been acting up lately with the screen flickering when being unlocked and taking multiple button presses before the screen will even light up. I hate all of the factory installed apps on my S5 that can't be uninstalled and taking up space.

Convince me why I should go with the S7 edge or similar and why I shouldn't go back to an iPhone. Thanks for any help.

edit: just realized this was my 1000th post and was completely unrelated to golf.

Well if the factory apps bother you could try a Nexus phone or another phone with a lighter skin. Nobody but you can decide which OS you like better, IOS or Android. I haven't found IOS to be any less buggy so I would hesitate to go back for that reason.

Like Wake said you really have to decide that for yourself.

I for one will not go back to Samsung after having this Nexus 6. Free of bloat and just as Android was intended is what I wanted and got with the Nexus line. But that is just me

Good luck with the decision and let us know what you go with

That's the decision you have to make for yourself. I personally can't stand Nexus phones because they're boring and just a basic skin. But that's the beauty of Android you still have many options within the same operating system. What happened to your phone? Is the phone broken and has it been dropped? Because I have a note 3 that still works perfect after almost 2.5 years.

I think my biggest issue is not knowing how to get the most out of the android system. If I get another one I'll spend more time watching videos on getting it set up efficiently and the way I want. My options are limited to what Verizon offers so I think that counts out the nexus. The s7 edge would most likely be first choice.

As as far as my current s5 it has been well taken care of and probably just needs to be gone through and clean out history/cache. The flickering screen and hesitation to light up are a mystery. When the home or unlock button is pressed the menu and back buttons will light up but the screen will stay blacked out or come on momentarily and black out before my unlock code can be entered. Only happens sometimes, but is really annoying when receiving a phone call and not being able to answer.

This is why I bought the 5x.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If you're buying a new phone, I think the Nexus 6P delivers the most bang for the buck. If you're on a contract where you can freely upgrade every couple of years (and I know Sprint currently offers the Galaxy 4lyfe option where you can upgrade every year) then I don't think you'll go wrong with the S7, especially if you're used to the Galaxy interface, which I'm not a huge fan of. The Nexus phone also pushes monthly security patches, which is nice, and the colors are a little cooler and true to life than the Galaxy screens, where everything looks more saturated than a music video to my eye.

One cool thing about the Nexus is the fingerprint scanner on the back is a one-touch unlocking feature. Very nice.

I'll briefly mention the new LG G5, which also features one of the best screens out there, and the interface is much closer to pure Android than the Galaxy, IMO. On the other hand, adjusting to the back-button unlock takes some getting used to.

I won't say anything bad about the iPhone except that I love widgets, customization, occasionally messing with aftermarket operating systems and bootloaders. Also freedom. And my fondness for those things makes it difficult to go with an Apple product.

If you're buying a new phone, I think the Nexus 6P delivers the most bang for the buck. If you're on a contract where you can freely upgrade every couple of years (and I know Sprint currently offers the Galaxy 4lyfe option where you can upgrade every year) then I don't think you'll go wrong with the S7, especially if you're used to the Galaxy interface, which I'm not a huge fan of. The Nexus phone also pushes monthly security patches, which is nice, and the colors are a little cooler and true to life than the Galaxy screens, where everything looks more saturated than a music video to my eye.

One cool thing about the Nexus is the fingerprint scanner on the back is a one-touch unlocking feature. Very nice.

I'll briefly mention the new LG G5, which also features one of the best screens out there, and the interface is much closer to pure Android than the Galaxy, IMO. On the other hand, adjusting to the back-button unlock takes some getting used to.

I won't say anything bad about the iPhone except that I love widgets, customization, occasionally messing with aftermarket operating systems and bootloaders. Also freedom. And my fondness for those things makes it difficult to go with an Apple product.
I checked out all of the Verizon options today and liked the s7 edge, note 5, and nexus 6. I don't think the nexus was the 6p, but know little to nothing about that line of phones. I also haven't decided if I'm going to stick with the 2 year plan I've always done or switch to the monthly fee plan that allows you to upgrade sooner. I've got a lot of research to do. The iPhone is definitely out of the question.

They also had the g5 but I was in a hurry and didn't get a chance to look at it much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is why I bought the 5x.

Yeah, but that thing's a technological step back from my previous phone, all things being equal.

Yeah, but that thing's a technological step back from my previous phone, all things being equal.
Indeed. But so much faster because no bloat. :D

So I saw that Project Fi is offering a Nexus 5x for 199 for signing up... I am seriously considering this now

So I saw that Project Fi is offering a Nexus 5x for 199 for signing up... I am seriously considering this now
Fi has been amazing so far for me! I'm spending $55/month and that includes insurance and device payment at $28.

Back