How would you play this shot?

I'd take my 54* and aim just short/left of the pin hoping to land the ball just short of the green to scrub some speed off it leaving myself a putt of inside 10 feet or so.

I would try to do just the same as this.

I'm hitting a nipped 54* aimed at the left edge of the tree line, trying to land it 2-3 ft short of the green.

It looks pretty soft out there, so I would expect one big hop (a bit left off the slope) and then some pretty hard bite.

With the pin 5 paces on, I'd be hoping for something within around 5 ft and ideally uphill.

This thread has made me realize how terrible my wedge game is currently. Just reading some of these responses gives me anxiety.

58 opened up to expose the bounce and fly it onto the green. I am not messing with the grass short of the green, it's probably too damp to have a consistent result from a bump and run. If I have 20 feet for par, then so be it, but at least I'm putting.

With that tucked pin I'm probably taking my 60* wedge and flopping it up there on the green close to the pin. I'll chance going long and leaving a putt rather than it catching up in the fringe.

I'm taking my 60* LW and aiming a little right of the flag. My LW usually stops about a foot or so from the pitch mark. This is an easy shot for me, but I will avoid the bump and run at all cost.

Either a 54 and try to land on the fringe and roll out or hammer a putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58* wedge and fly it

Judging from the footprints in the grass, I am assuming the ground is quite soggy. Mainly for that reason, I would opt to go high over low. Attempt to land a 58 degree wedge just over the fringe to allow for a slight amount of hop and roll.

Great observation on the foot prints. I also would attempt to land a 58 degree wedge just over the fringe to allow for a slight amount of hop and roll. I've never had much luck with a bump and roll when the pin is close to the edge of the green.

Not sure but I would be happy to have that look rather than the ball up on the left.

On second thought, I would probably try to dead hand a 52* short on the left fringe and hope for a kind hop and roll. My tendency is to miss longer so if I do miss I'm at least pulling out putter.

The ground looks soggy (all the footprints), so I would try a high lob to the left of the flag. (50/50 chance of it being accurate for me).

How would you play this shot?

9i or 8i back of stance putter stance, grip (LHL for me) and stroke... or Texas wedge

Edit: on second look, ground looks soggy.... Texas wedge is out

Looks like Newport. Either nip the 60* or low skipper with the 56*

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd take my 54* and aim just short/left of the pin hoping to land the ball just short of the green to scrub some speed off it leaving myself a putt of inside 10 feet or so.

Similar for me, although I'd probably do it with a 60* and aim right at the pin, trying to have it land just short of the green. From the looks of it, even if the fringe holds it up more than I think and I end up a foot or two short of the green, I'd rather putt from there than above the hole. And even if the slope kicks it right some, it looks to me like missing right of the pin is going to leave a relatively straight putt up the hill where missing left is going to leave one that slides right.

Fairway wood, putt the distance. And then do it again and then putt for a snowman.

My options would be PW or AW and bounce it up there, or possibly 54 opened a little aiming at fringe or front of green planning on a one hop stop.

56* wedge, ball back in my stance, throw the ball to the edge of the green left of the pin and let it move to the pin.

Judging from the footprints in the grass, I am assuming the ground is quite soggy. Mainly for that reason, I would opt to go high over low. Attempt to land a 58 degree wedge just over the fringe to allow for a slight amount of hop and roll.

This for me as well. Likely my 55* or 60* and fly it to the front edge of the green. If it was not soggy I'd likely use my 4 wood with a putting stroke.

It looks like a very nice lie so the shot shouldn't be too difficult. The fairway looks too lush and soft for me to accurately judge the bounce/release on anything short. Plus there appears to be a little depression along the line I'd want to use IF I were to run it up anyway, and that just adds more uncertainty to a bump and run shot. Easy decision for me on this one, an easy pitch with either my 60* or 54* to land just over the fringe on a line a little left of the hole. If done right it could get very close, miss my landing spot a yard or three long or short and I'm worst case a 12-15 footer for par.

depends on how i am playing that day. if i'm playing well then i would go with the flop. if i'm playing like i normally play, then i try to run it with a pw, low and to the left and hope it makes it to the green. lol....more then likely i leave it short or hit it to the back of the green.

I'd love to putt it, but the grass it too plush for that. I think I'd play a "low" 56-degree wedge to the left with one bounce off the fringe. It should grab and trickle down, but also gives a lot of room for error while still giving myself a make-able putt...which I will surely miss!

looks pretty soft, but i would choke up on a hybrid and putt it aiming 6 to 8 feet left of the pin.

60* with the ideal goal of landing it between the fringe and flag. Would play it closer to the flag with the risk being long vs short so at least I'd have a putt

looks pretty soft, but i would choke up on a hybrid and putt it aiming 6 to 8 feet left of the pin.

Man, talk about creativity - I’d pay to see that shot, and am betting you would nail it. Because golf :)

Low roller for me I'm getting it rolling and hoping it rolls right on.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Back