How would you play this shot?

OITW

Reaction score
fa1eb6e933eb92e40acd9a6ee5ff4bcf.jpg

Had this shot a couple of weeks ago

Idea was to play a low runner with the tucked pin

Hit it fat and made a mess of it

Flag is 5 paces off the fringe green slope back to front and a ridge runs through the middle

So how would you play it THP?

Hit a low runner off the left side of the hill and hopefully it trickles down. Probably smarter to just not get cute and go a little long so your guaranteed a putt at it but I've never been a smart golfer haha.

Like I play all shots, poorly.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of up hill chips so I'd play quite conservatively. Use my pitching wedge to bump it just short of the fringe to give me a wider margin for error (not a high flight) and let that slope on the left drag it to the pin

Throw it at the flag with a sand wedge and let the slope of the green help me, take being short out of play. Accept a downhill putt coming back and hopefully save par.

60* try and get it stuck behind the pin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd play it mid-height at the left edge of the bushes behind/left of the pin wanting one bounce, relatively soft, about 4-5 feet into the fringe and second bounce onto the green - with the miss being fringe or green short/short right so I would have an uphill putt. I'd rather be short of the flag and putting from the fringe or just on the green with 10-15 ft uphill then be past the cup with a downhill breaker coming back.

How firm is it out there? If I'm seeing it right, and it's anything like when we played Newton Comm, I might try to roll it up the left side and off that hill there.

Earlier in the season, when things are more lush, that shot gets trickier. Probably still take it low with the 48 though and try to roll it on.

Not sure how far you are, but I'm taking the 58 and flying the front edge of green and get just a bit of rollout. Since the green is sloping towards you the ball should stop quick so I may even fire closer to the pin and just one hop and stop it right there.

9i iron back of the stance bump and run. Aim to fly to about 6' short of the green and let the rough check it up and feed it onto the putting surface.

In general, tight lie with moderate terrain means I'm keeping it low to the turf.

I would say just try and bump and run a 9i out to the left a bit, but it looks fairly shaggy. Probably try and pitch a 56 out to the right a bit. Worse case, leave it a little short and have an uphill putt.

Personally, I would “Texas Wedge” that shot without any hesitation, really. I have fair control over my putter distance, so that would seemingly be a comfortable shot for me, albeit unorthodox.

I'd take my 54* and aim just short/left of the pin hoping to land the ball just short of the green to scrub some speed off it leaving myself a putt of inside 10 feet or so.

8 iron pitch landing just beyond the darkest area short and left of the flag let run out

I'd play it mid-height at the left edge of the bushes behind/left of the pin wanting one bounce, relatively soft, about 4-5 feet into the fringe and second bounce onto the green - with the miss being fringe or green short/short right so I would have an uphill putt. I'd rather be short of the flag and putting from the fringe or just on the green with 10-15 ft uphill then be past the cup with a downhill breaker coming back.

This shot with my 54 but start it barely left.

What is the depression in the middle right of the green? Looks fairly deep. I assume it funnels everything into or very near the bunker.

Probably take my 54 and try to land it just short of the green and let it roll on, keeping my aim just a touch left. If I am short I can putt on.

Judging from the footprints in the grass, I am assuming the ground is quite soggy. Mainly for that reason, I would opt to go high over low. Attempt to land a 58 degree wedge just over the fringe to allow for a slight amount of hop and roll.

How firm is it out there? If I'm seeing it right, and it's anything like when we played Newton Comm, I might try to roll it up the left side and off that hill there.

Earlier in the season, when things are more lush, that shot gets trickier. Probably still take it low with the 48 though and try to roll it on.

It was soft, not too soft the low runner and roll was still in play

I’d fire right at it, low with spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50* wedge, ball forward in stance, weight 70/30 front/back, use the bounce of the club to pop the ball up a few feet short of the green left of the pin and let it roll out slightly and trickle down to the hole.

Bump and run with a PW keep it low and let it run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

relatively square face 56. ball middle or slightly back of middle. hit the turf just behind the ball to engage the bounce. try to land it just short of green and let it release a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

60* try and get it stuck behind the pin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't frequently hit my 60 degree because I have a pretty good bump and run game. But that's exactly the kind of setup where I would go with the 60 degree and try to put it right behind the pin. As close to the edge as that pin is, would take a pretty great shot to get close with bump and run, even if you're not prone to mis-hits.

From what I see. Throw it up a bit long towards the left edge of the green with a Lob Wedge and let gravity do the rest.

Back