Jeckyll and Hyde Driver

Reef Donkey

Reaction score
Handicap
Micheladas
I know it's not the club, but since it's my thread I'm going to blame it on the club anyway. One round my driver is long and straight, and the next it's knuckleballs that drop out of the sky. Ugggggghhhh!!!! All my 3W shots are crushed with a nice high tight draw (unless it try and keep it low, which ends up in a nice low, tight draw with lots of roll). Naturally, it's not the club, but me. I'm wondering if it's the massive 460cc head that is causing me to feel less than confident in that club. I'd really like to find an old school driver (LH w/ around 10* of loft) with a smaller head more like a 3w size.

Do any of y'all play with the smaller head drivers?

It shouldnt be the size. Right now if your signature is correct, you are playing a pretty low spin driver head. If you are seeing knuckle balls, that would most likely be the reason. Combine that if your miss happens to be a bit high on the club face, you will see even a larger reduction of spin. Which would make your higher lofted and a bit "spinnier" fairway wood give you more carry.

Have you tried any other drivers or could you raise hte loft of your driver for more testing?

I have it lofted as high as it will go (11*). I had it at the standard setting and it was nothing but knuckleballs. Then I changed it and was getting great results out of it. I'm fairly certain is been in the grip and swing changes I've been making. I went to a non-interlocking and non overlapping (baseball?) grip. The results have been phenomenal with my irons. Longer, more consistent striking, with hands pressed slightly forward at impact. (I was very "wristy" with every other grip I've ever used). I'm almost wondering if maybe I'm carrying over the forward pressing to the Driver.

Back