TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

I hit this driver a good amount this weekend and the results dont lie. It was pretty darn forgiving and longer than my gamer. I will be buying this one before my season start. I was hitting the 430 10.5 with pro 60 stiff shaft.
You were moving it a long ways down the fairway :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You were moving it a long ways down the fairway :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
So you let Gregg hit your driver and he pays you back with a #THPcallout curb stomping? Well played Gregg. I agree with you. It's just crazy how easy this driver is to hit long and straight the first time you give it a go. Definately much more forgiving than some recent TM drivers.

Greggdrews with additional yardage and his accuracy could be dangerous

So you let Gregg hit your driver and he pays you back with a #THPcallout curb stomping? Well played Gregg. I agree with you. It's just crazy how easy this driver is to hit long and straight the first time you give it a go. Definately much more forgiving than some recent TM drivers.
I actually only hit it a few times during the callout and I think the match was close to over by then lol

I hit this driver a good amount this weekend and the results dont lie. It was pretty darn forgiving and longer than my gamer. I will be buying this one before my season start. I was hitting the 430 10.5 with pro 60 stiff shaft.

Was your gamer still the J815? If so, maybe I need to look at this one.

Was your gamer still the J815? If so, maybe I need to look at this one.
Yes it was, J815 is still a great driver and I will still game that too depending on conditions.

Rul

Rul

Golf shop had a RUL 70 X flex in a left over R15 so I had them put it in the 9.5 M1. Wow did that club feel awesome. I am getting fitted at the TM PDC on Monday in Madison. Can't wait to see what shaft best fits me in the driver and fairway. The Rul felt awesome but launch was still just a bit high.

So i got some additional weights today. Have no idea what this will do but will head down to the range to test.

1b181d6754ae2b428edb3a51bef0f633.jpg

Had a chance to try this out? I am really intrigued by this.

Pondering shafts for my m1 head. Have a call into a couple golf shops around me for a fitting. Super excited to play this clyc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7b0eac5d028b832ea82ce993136e7aad.jpg

I got an M1 recently and still fine tuning it and getting acquainted. In the picture is my gamer, and two M1's with different shafts. I chose the Mitsubishi shaft.

Sent from my SM-E500H using Tapatalk

TaylorMade M1 Driver Preview

TaylorMade M1 Driver Preview

Went to golfsmith and tried some different shaft combos. Best one for me was the kuro kage 60-stiff. Really liked the ball flight with it. Just limited in shady options and none of the employees were super helpful. I usually play regular but I liked the feel of this shaft quite a bit.

Anyone have any experience with this combo?

I just won one of these yesterday. I have it in 8.5' with the Aldila Rogue Silver 70 gram shaft in X-flex. Man does this look good at address. I haven't hit yet, but will have some free time this week to get to the range. I also have a lesson scheduled on Friday so I'll be on a launch monitor and I can play around with it to optimize it to my swing. It is such a good looking driver!

Has anyone discovered that you need to break the driver in a bit before it opens up and you start getting the performance you were hoping for? When I got fitted at Roger Dunn in Santa Ana, CA, I loved it. Got the shaft in, loft, and weights exactly as the demo, but it wasn't until about 100 swings that it really started performing. Now, I'm straight up in love with this doggone driver!

Has anyone discovered that you need to break the driver in a bit before it opens up and you start getting the performance you were hoping for? When I got fitted at Roger Dunn in Santa Ana, CA, I loved it. Got the shaft in, loft, and weights exactly as the demo, but it wasn't until about 100 swings that it really started performing. Now, I'm straight up in love with this doggone driver!

I can honestly say I have not seen that with any driver. Then again iF something wasn't working all that well, I would move to something else instead of bagging it.

interesting. I have never heard of having to break a driver in and haven't experienced anything like this before. Curious to what you were seeing in the first 100 swings compared to what you are seeing afterwards

The only time this occurred was when I started adjusting my swing to make a shaft/head combo work for me, which is bad in the long term. I had this happen when I got my Big Bertha 815 with a stock shaft. It had way too high of a trajectory so I started to do goofy stuff with my swing to get the ball down. Then I bought a better shaft (Speeder 757 evolution Tour Spec) for my swing and the first few swings were atrocious - worm burners. I then worked back into my original swing and boom, trajectory was great.

That's not something I've ever seen. If I take 10 swings with a driver and none of them are to my liking I simply move on.

I experienced the exact opposite with this driver. First time I ever touched M1 was a few months ago when Orange Hog let me take a couple swings with his. Very first swing I remember turning to sposey (who I've golfed with enough to know) to ask if he EVER saw me hit anything like that shot? He was amazed too. Took one more swing to see if the first was a fluke miracle and hit that one even better and figured I better stop so I wouldn't be tempted to kill Orange Hog to steal driver. I do a ton of comparative driver testing on my own and this one really shined from swing #1. Just waiting on all the assets to get to my fitter so I can utilize his expertise to sort out which of the front runners (in which shaft) suit me best. M1, King LTD, F6+, or 816DBD.

interesting. I have never heard of having to break a driver in and haven't experienced anything like this before. Curious to what you were seeing in the first 100 swings compared to what you are seeing afterwards

It reminded me of the newer softball bats, that you have to put 100 hits on before they start performing like they are supposed to. The sound was different the first many swings, and the ball speed off the club just wasn't the same. Now, it's just ridiculous how good it's doing. I can hit any shot shape I want, whereas I couldn't at first with the club fresh out of the wrapper. My swing was the same throughout.

The main reason I'm putting this out there, is just in case someone gets one, and hates it after a few swings. Don't give up on this thing!

I just won one of these yesterday. I have it in 8.5' with the Aldila Rogue Silver 70 gram shaft in X-flex. Man does this look good at address. I haven't hit yet, but will have some free time this week to get to the range. I also have a lesson scheduled on Friday so I'll be on a launch monitor and I can play around with it to optimize it to my swing. It is such a good looking driver!

Congrats man! Pretty sweet sounding set up there...

Played with this at the range yesterday for the first time. I wasn't hitting it that well at first. The main thing is that I have been playing my driver at 43.5" and the M1 is a full 2" longer. The great thing I saw were some big ball speed increases. I was seeing 172-175mph consistently whereas my Bio Cell + needs perfect center face contact to hit 170mph. That is very encouraging and I cranked the loft to 10.5 as well to generate better launch conditions.

Went to golfsmith and tried some different shaft combos. Best one for me was the kuro kage 60-stiff. Really liked the ball flight with it. Just limited in shady options and none of the employees were super helpful. I usually play regular but I liked the feel of this shaft quite a bit.

Anyone have any experience with this combo?

I got me one with the same shaft with a 9.5 head. I preferred it over the Fujikura, which felt a little whippy and too high launch for me.

I'm also one of those guys who needs an acquaintance party with my clubs, and not just the driver. Sometimes I can go to the range or course around 3 times a week, sometimes it's just once a week for my game so I need some familiarity with them.

I have only played my M1 only 3 times for a full 18 holes, so it's hard to make a definitive comment on its distance, although from what I saw on the range it was one of the longer ones.

I have yet to prove on the course if the M1 is the longest driver I have to date. What has been proven though is how well it does with lousy swings. Its errors are not as wild as other clubs, and the distance loss with errors are not so bad.

Love the sound of this one too. My regular gamer is, shall we say, LOUD! This M1 just sounds solid and powerful anywhere on the face.

First time putting it into tournament play yesterday, and you could tell I'm still figuring this baby out. I was really inconsistent with it, hitting lower line drivers and not feeling like I was hitting the sweet spot for the first few drives. My iron play wasn't much better, and I knew going into hole 15 that I was out of contention for any prize money. I decided to try something, and teed it up just a little bit higher on my Epoch tee. The drive was my first straight drive of the day, and went 306 yards!

I didn't get to use the driver again until hole 18, a hole that I really struggle with off the tee, but I did the same thing with the tee height and hit another 300+ drive.

Now I can't wait until I get on the course again to see what can happen if I do this throughout the round!

M1 on course

M1 on course

thanks to the great warm weather I got a chance to walk 9 yesterday. First time I have had the m1 on the course. Was fitted into M1 9.5 with Rogue Silver 70 X. Coming out of SLDR TP/Speeder 6.3 this new combo adds 10g to the shaft. I was a little worried during the fitting that it would be too heavy for me but since you only have to swing it 12ish times in 18, I don't think this will be the case. Did not have time to warm up but hit fairway on 5 of 6 drives using the M1. I love the flight of this club compared to my SLDR. The SLDR would get high early and come down steep. The m1 climbs more gradually to similar apex but comes down more shallow so I get some roll out, even yesterday on the soggy WI ground. Sound is so nice - I have the rear weight all the way forward as I am a high spin/high launch player. Love this club.

Back