Torrey Pines is Hard!

I believe the only two things about the South course that make it "hard" are length and the rough. Any course with steel wool as rough is just penal. Does not make it good.
The par 3 third is a great looking hole - beautiful hole.
I like 18 because of the risk/reward option.
Otherwise, the course is a busy muni in a great weather locale.
I will qualify my statements by saying I am comparing the course to other courses in the southwest.
Played and loved Aviara. I would do that 10/10 times over Torrey Pines South.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a good test of golf and if you live in San Diego very good price. Totally a course that I like to play if I am playing well. Been a long time since I have played it though, 2005 or 2006 I think

I believe the only two things about the South course that make it "hard" are length and the rough. Any course with steel wool as rough is just penal. Does not make it good.
The par 3 third is a great looking hole - beautiful hole.
I like 18 because of the risk/reward option.
Otherwise, the course is a busy muni in a great weather locale.
I will qualify my statements by saying I am comparing the course to other courses in the southwest.
Played and loved Aviara. I would do that 10/10 times over Torrey Pines South.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a City Card and discounted rates, Torrey Pines is a great deal for City Residents. For those who get no break on green fees (anyone outside of the city limits of San Diego), I can understand why other local courses like Maderas and Aviara are worthwhile options.

With a City Card and discounted rates, Torrey Pines is a great deal for City Residents. For those who get no break on green fees (anyone outside of the city limits of San Diego), I can understand why other local courses like Maderas and Aviara are worthwhile options.
I agree. I got to play it for free, and if I had the San Diego resident card and got that price I would play it often, but if I had to pay the full amount, I doubt I would do it again. It's a great experience, but I would much rather play Maderas for cheaper, or pay the extra money to experience Aviara.

I volunteered for the Farmers Open last year and got to play the South after the tournament. What a beast of a course. We kept losing balls just off the fairways in the 5 inch rough. Very long course even from the whites. I live in SD and have a resident card and I prefer to play the North. . More fun for hackers. The North is being renovated and I believe just 9 holes are open for play. Tee times are harder to come by even for Residents. I actually just bought an UNDERPAR deal for Maderas and will be playing it for the first time. I hear its a very nice track.

Are Aviara and Maderas easier to get on than Torrey?Was in the San Diego area last December and tried to get on as a single at Torrey. Got to the course around 6:15a, checked in, and didn't get out until 10:30a...and that was on the North Course. If I wanted to wait for the South I would have had to wait another hour and a half. Shot a 79 on the North, enjoyed the experience, but I wouldn't go through all that again.Hoping to get on Aviara by being one of lucky ones selected for the Project X event in August!

Have to get there around 2 am if you want to get out early.

Back