Callaway Big Bertha Hybrid Review

Thanks for the review. I have never really been able to hit a hybrid well. But this sounds like an easy to hit club that I should try. Maybe next time the Callaway guys come by my club, I can try it out.

Callaway Big Bertha Hybrid Review

Quick pic for scale. 5h sitting on top of a putting cup.

170dbb502e90e6f003d033c4c4c7b5e1.jpg

And a bonus sound video as it sounds when chipping with it. (No houses were harmed in the making of this video)

https://youtu.be/f8XB7gQhhxA

Quick pic for scale. 5h sitting on top of a putting cup.

170dbb502e90e6f003d033c4c4c7b5e1.jpg

And a bonus sound video as it sounds when chipping with it. (No houses were harmed in the making of this video)

https://youtu.be/f8XB7gQhhxA
You know I completely forgot about the hybrid chip around the green. I became quite fond of this on long chips that I wanted to bump and run. Looking forward to see how this one compares.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You know I completely forgot about the hybrid chip around the green. I became quite fond of this on long chips that I wanted to bump and run. Looking forward to see how this one compares.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It’s not something I use a lot, but occasionally the situation calls for it. Mostly I was just having fun shooting video and taking pics. Figured some folks might appreciate it.

Spent some time with my new bag on the GC2 tonight and grabbed some numbers. Here's what these hybrids were putting out for me.
It's just so easy to get great performance out of these.
e87a12cf69e70c5f3b112d7ba2549c10.jpg

Wow AG, still hitting this one a long way.

Spent some time with my new bag on the GC2 tonight and grabbed some numbers. Here's what these hybrids were putting out for me.

Those are some big boy numbers Curtis! I really enjoyed watching Dazeedmonds hit these hybrids last week, they looked really easy to hit and seemed to want to just go straight.

Wow AG, still hitting this one a long way.
Those are some big boy numbers Curtis! I really enjoyed watching Dazeedmonds hit these hybrids last week, they looked really easy to hit and seemed to want to just go straight.
These are so much fun to hit and I have a feeling I'm going to use them a TON both off the tee on short & medium length par 4s as well as par 5s. I was fond of my old hybrids but they did not have this much built-in firepower.

That was really well done Dean. I liked how the review really covered all the basis and explained the benefits offered by the club. Nice review.

Wow! Awesome numbers.

Great review Dean. Im possibly in the market for an all out distance hybrid ao the 18* down at 17* could be fun. Dean do you hit down or sweep with your hybrids? I just wonder how id go with it as a sweeper...

Well written as usual Dean. Impressive numbers as well.

Very consistent with what I saw from you a n the course. This is a real weapon for you. 248 to pin high on a par 5 is crazy good.

Dean
According to the review numbers it looked like you hit this one left more often not (26 yds on avg). Safe to say it’s draw biased ? Any concerns there ?

Dean
According to the review numbers it looked like you hit this one left more often not (26 yds on avg). Safe to say it’s draw biased ? Any concerns there ?

Not Dean, but as I said I played these more than anything else in the few days I’ve had them.

I don’t feel like these are particularly draw biased. That being said my usual miss is a fade, and I didn’t see that either, my most common miss with these was a snap hook but that is entirely based on a bad (BAD) swing.

They setup square or maybe a touch open at address, and like I said, there maybe a touch of draw bias, because I never saw these go left (fade for me) They were pretty straight all the way around the course, off a tee or off the deck.

Great write up Dean. Good thoughts so from from the Grandaddy guys as well.

Dean

For what it's worth, Dean is going to hit most anything he hits left.

In the swings I took with the BB hybrid during my fitting, I didn't find it overly draw-y when comparing it against the other hybrid I was comparing to.

Dean

I can't answer for Dean, but I can say that I'm not seeing anything that would lead me to believe there's draw bias here. In all fairness my miss is "right" pretty much through the bag and these hybrids have been no exception. I have them currently in the S/D hosel settings and I'm noticing that they really want to fly straight, but when I swing like a jackarse the low-right squirter is there just like with my other clubs.

Quick comparison photo. 5h and 5i:

52cc118f4600b8521bf123fe4bc48251.jpg

I ended up with both of them and Tyler wouldn’t take the 5i back so you guys get a straight comparison photo. M

Definitely on the bigger side for a hybrid, but I like that and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

I look at the hybrid size and I feel like Obi-Wan: “That’s no moon, that’s a space station.”

Seriously would love to try one, especially the 18* model, that spot has been an issue for me recently at the range.

I have the 4 and 7 hybrids from the 2014 model line, and they can be beastly. The 7 can go forever, both height and distance. Got me thinking about the 8 already.

100% true. Honam UT was long for me, but man ever since X2 Hot Callaway has had the distance hybrid market on lockdown IMO. Scratch that, IOO(In OUR Opinion). Yup, I'm speaking for you.

I’m good with that. They’re killing it in flat out distance hybrids right now for sure, it’s just not what I personally seek in that part of the bag anymore, for the masses though, bombs away!

I look at the hybrid size and I feel like Obi-Wan: “That’s no moon, that’s a space station.”

Seriously would love to try one, especially the 18* model, that spot has been an issue for me recently at the range.

I have the 4 and 7 hybrids from the 2014 model line, and they can be beastly. The 7 can go forever, both height and distance. Got me thinking about the 8 already.

For me the size is comfortable, I typically prefer a fairway wood, so this looks fine at address to me, I know a lot of people prefer a more compact look, but honestly I don’t think this is the line for that crowd anyway.

I think the Ocho will be a winner for a lot of people

Anyone have a pic of the headcover?

Anyone have a pic of the headcover?

For those of us that got these at The Grandaddy we had plain black and white head-covers.

5a5311a477c57af3eebb5ca2f16d8a8e.jpg

Dean

I can confirm these are not draw biased. Mine are all set to draw. I didn’t think to look at them earlier. Doh!

My best shot of the round today came off of my Big Bertha 3 Hybrid. Used it off the tee on a dogleg left par 4 that horseshoes around some rough and bunkers. I took an extremely aggressive line as tight to the inside corner as possible and ripped one right over all the trouble, 30 yards passed my playing partners...after they hit driver. One of them asked to hit it and with one swing hit his best shot of the day.

I don't think I've ever hit a club that married this much firepower with such an ease of use before, and it's something I'm going to get very used to.

Back