Callaway Big Bertha Hybrid Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent write up Dean! My experience with these has been pretty similar.

I have the 3/4/5 hybrids in my bag, and the ball flight on all of them was pretty beautiful to watch. I default to the 3hy off the tee for a lot of shots, and on the par 5s I find myself going hybrid-hybrid-something else. The playability from the tee and off the deck on these is just a thing of wonder.

Excellent read Dean. I'm somewhere in the same realm of yours in SS, one of the additional reasons I enjoy your reviews. Hitting Heavenwood distance from a shorter length 22 (or 21 lofted up) hybrid is very enticing. Also, very healthy spin numbers from that spot, with a good descent. Seemed very playable for you.

I like the design decisions. Nice job by Callaway with the hosel changes, since I do sometimes like to play around with settings.

I don't mind the offset visually, but if it promotes too much right to left, that can really wreck my game. I'm mental, and once I start missing left with something my round can go south quick(er). Was that left spin within your typical realm?

I remember being at an OEM back in 2014 and they were rolling out a 7 Hybrid and we all couldnt believe it. Now here is the 8 hybrid and honestly, with as consistent as these are and how stupid easy they are to hit, I can see it being really popular.

I thought this review was really well done and one that reflects my opinions as well. I have a Rogue Hybrid on its way and wouldnt mind putting it head to head against this and my XR. One of the three will be in the bag this coming season for sure.

Great review Dean. Always perks my ears when I see fairway finder and hybrid in a sentence.

I enjoyed this review, Dean. Those are some pretty impressive numbers, consistency-wise, from a club at that 200 yard range.

You compare the looks of this to the Rogue, and I think that's one of the things I was most happiest to see when I first got a chance to look at this hybrid in hand - the shape, while similar, is softened enough where I think it looks far better than the Rogue. Something just didn't "click" for me with the Rogue shape. This improves on that considerably, even at the larger size.

Like you, I'm someone who leans on the hybrid a lot, especially at that 3h spot - it's a spot in the bag I'm most comfortable with when I need to hit a fairway off the tee on a short, tight part 4, and it's usually what I'm grabbing when I'm going after a par 5 green in two. I went a different route with my hybrid during my fitting because I was squaring it up a bit more, but this is a club I'd have absolutely zero problem putting in the bag. And we've seen a number of the guys at the Grandaddy who were fit into them rave about them already.

Great review. I am hoping to hit one of these bad boys to see how they compare to my Rogue.

A lot of tech packed into that little club.

Awesome write up Dean... I’m looking forward to comparing this to the Rogue X 3 Hybrid I have in my bag...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid write up Dean. I like the adjustability and the ball speed. The footprint might be a little bigger than I prefer, but clearly it performs based on your testing and review.

Great write up... I am considering swapping out the XR, so this is definitely on the hit list.

Great review Dean! I have the 4h in my bag and I love this club! I cant wait to get some more time with it. But just the 2 days i played with it was amazing! If people are looking for a forgiving, but still long hybrid, THIS.IS.THE.ONE!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Great stuff Dean, that is a pretty dang deep hybo for you, wow.

I remember being at an OEM back in 2014 and they were rolling out a 7 Hybrid and we all couldnt believe it. Now here is the 8 hybrid and honestly, with as consistent as these are and how stupid easy they are to hit, I can see it being really popular.

I thought this review was really well done and one that reflects my opinions as well. I have a Rogue Hybrid on its way and wouldnt mind putting it head to head against this and my XR. One of the three will be in the bag this coming season for sure.

I really wish I’d had a chance to hit the 6/7 hybrids in this line. I might have gone all the way to the 7. If the 8 was an option for me I’d have had one just to mess with people. These are THAT good.

I’ve never had a hybrid I could hit. Really, never. So the first swings with these just going long and straight....wow. These feel more like a compact fw than a hybrid, even though they’re not that big. I still swing them like an iron, but they’re just confidence inspiring at address.

I have the 3h and 4h and so far I'm really liking the overall package that these hybrids offer. I'll throw down some very quick thoughts here before work today.

First and foremost for me is the look at address, which these irons NAIL IMO. I've always enjoyed a larger hybrid for some reason and these are large without getting stupid.
My first thoughts on performance are pretty simple. These hybrids are a beautiful combination of massive ball speed off the face and height. They launch effortlessly and seem to maintain some nice hang time in the air.

I'll have many more thoughts to come over the next months and I'm hoping to add some numbers as well.
4e5fa2a9ea8a15d998ee60d72eeb3ca5.jpg

Quick comparison photo. 5h and 5i:

52cc118f4600b8521bf123fe4bc48251.jpg

I ended up with both of them and Tyler wouldn’t take the 5i back so you guys get a straight comparison photo. M

Definitely on the bigger side for a hybrid, but I like that and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Great stuff Dean, that is a pretty dang deep hybo for you, wow.

def deep for that loft(for me). Numbers beat out what I saw with the Srixon z85 hybrid, even when that was at 3 degrees strong than what I tested here.

I was at GG last night for the big contests and sale.

The Callaway rep was there and he had the BB 4 hybrid.

Took it into the sim and BANG! 185, right on the line. BANG! 190 right on the line. BANG! 180 right on the line.

He said "you must win a lot of closest to the center contests". LOLOLOL Hardly.

I then hit another 5 or 6 shots and worst one was a pull about 20 yards left (I normally slice a lot)

The 4 will be in my bag. I do not possess a club that allows me to hit 175-190 off the fairway. Looks like this is the one.

Good stuff Dean.

Looking at the photos from Dazeed's 5h, is it comparible to the Rogue X with the bigger profile/shape?

Hybrids are one of the best revelations in the golf industry. I've had Cobra, Callaway XR, and now happily set with the Rogue. I know the distances each time with both lofts I carry and super trusty off the tee.

I do like how one would have the options to adjust with OptiFit but I'm still old school with the glue style and having set lofts.

Really hope someone bags The Ocho one day!

Good stuff Dean.

Looking at the photos from Dazeed's 5h, is it comparible to the Rogue X with the bigger profile/shape?

Hybrids are one of the best revelations in the golf industry. I've had Cobra, Callaway XR, and now happily set with the Rogue. I know the distances each time with both lofts I carry and super trusty off the tee.

I do like how one would have the options to adjust with OptiFit but I'm still old school with the glue style and having set lofts.

This is a big reason why I think I'll be trading my Rogue in for either this or the Epic Flash, assuming they do a hybrid for it. I don't really care about adjusting loft/lie that much but I do like the fact that I can change out the shaft really quick.

My fairway woods are probably getting traded in as well for the same reason. (assuming I hit whatever replaces them better)

Good stuff Dean.

I’m trying to remember yours when I saw them way back.

I’d say they’re pretty close, but I’ll try to get some actual numbers or a scale of some sort here in a while.

That reminds me of the J40 hybrids not just a little bit. And that is a very good thing - those were true pear shaped hybrids on the larger side while still looking awesome. I'm guessing this is way more forgiving though.

This is a big reason why I think I'll be trading my Rogue in for either this or the Epic Flash, assuming they do a hybrid for it. I don't really care about adjusting loft/lie that much but I do like the fact that I can change out the shaft really quick.

My fairway woods are probably getting traded in as well for the same reason. (assuming I hit whatever replaces them better)

I like options, but I really don't need adjustability in a hybrid. That being said, the newer adapter makes these look so much better at address rather than the same long one that we used to get, which was essentially the same adapter as the driver. I mean just this difference along makes me not need to avoid the adjustable hosel. Also since I love to swap out shafts, it makes them a bit more appealing.

Previous Big Bertha hybrid

i-c2HBfwx-L.jpg

This version

i-tKb6S8x-L.jpg

def deep for that loft(for me). Numbers beat out what I saw with the Srixon z85 hybrid, even when that was at 3 degrees strong than what I tested here.

That, is impressive.

But, we def know if you need a truly distance based hybrid, its hard to beat Callaway right now.

That, is impressive.

But, we def know if you need a truly distance based hybrid, its hard to beat Callaway right now.

100% true. Honam UT was long for me, but man ever since X2 Hot Callaway has had the distance hybrid market on lockdown IMO. Scratch that, IOO(In OUR Opinion). Yup, I'm speaking for you.

Back