Should I keep my Mizuno MP-59's or change

alexped2393

Reaction score
Handicap
I have had my mp-59 mizunos since they were released and love them. But I also hate them, since having them I haven't felt like I was the strong iron player I used to be with the mx-15's. But dang they look so good and shiny. :banghead:
I hit them thin more often than not, rarely getting that pured strike, this has meant my short game has improved a lot but I want to go back to peppering greens with a higher ball flight.

In my mind there are two ways of getting back to this, practice a lot more and just "git gud" or get some irons that are more fitting to my ability, so something a bit chunkier with some proper cavity back help in there.

Just wanting to see what peoples thoughts are and to see if there are any suggestions for some product that may be 2 years old that I can hunt down and try out.

Lately I went to a driver fitting and saw no improvements on my current set-up so obviously I have money burning a hole in my wallet

I have had my mp-59 mizunos since they were released and love them. But I also hate them, since having them I haven't felt like I was the strong iron player I used to be with the mx-15's. But dang they look so good and shiny. :banghead:
I hit them thin more often than not, rarely getting that pured strike, this has meant my short game has improved a lot but I want to go back to peppering greens with a higher ball flight.

In my mind there are two ways of getting back to this, practice a lot more and just "git gud" or get some irons that are more fitting to my ability, so something a bit chunkier with some proper cavity back help in there.

Just wanting to see what peoples thoughts are and to see if there are any suggestions for some product that may be 2 years old that I can hunt down and try out.

Lately I went to a driver fitting and saw no improvements on my current set-up so obviously I have money burning a hole in my wallet

I’d say go hit some things and see how they look and feel to you. Try the MP18’s and 785’s if you like a classic look at address (yes, they’re bigger than the 59’s but not gargantuan) but want more playability from them without sacrificing feel. Or, a set like the W/S V6’s May be the best blend of both worlds out there when wanting to stay on the players side of things.

Just to add I am not too bothered by chunkiness it is more offset that makes me not like an iron. Lots of offset screams left to me

I had the same problem until I came across the Mizuno MPH5. Looking down at the ball you have a thin, clean look and a nice rounded sole for extra bounce. Good luck but swing a bunch of clubs. You may find something you never thought you would play.

I had the same problem until I came across the Mizuno MPH5. Looking down at the ball you have a thin, clean look and a nice rounded sole for extra bounce. Good luck but swing a bunch of clubs. You may find something you never thought you would play.

I have an mph5 2 iron which is great off the tee, thanks for the advice

If you like Mizuno, try the JPX919 lineup - the forged is meant for the low to mid capper - plenty of forgiveness and distance, or mix it with the Tour.

Back