Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

This is a great driver with the 565 shaft. I put it to the test against the GBB today and I just liked the feel better. Distance was probably about the same but I really felt like I could step on the gas with the XR and not lose the ball right like I normally do. I was playing the 665 last year and always thought it was a touch too heavy for me and I think I confirmed that today. The 9 degree head was perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you're ready to say goodbye to your GBB because once you've hit XR16 driver, you're not going to want to play GBB again. Honestly it that good and so easy/forgiving to play.

I hit it the Pro the other day with the Matrix Red Tie my GBB is worried. Although I could just put the Red Tie in my GBB. But what fun would that be.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I hit it the Pro the other day with the Matrix Red Tie my GBB is worried. Although I could just put the Red Tie in my GBB. But what fun would that be.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I just want to go on record that I have a brand new GBB that's never been on the course due to weather, and all I want to do is hit the XR16 right now...what is wrong with me:banghead:

Played my first round today with this driver in the bag. It's what they say it is and more. Very easy to hit, very forgiving, and the distance is great. Will have more after tomorrow's round, but all I can say for now is, it's a keeper. Also, for comparison, I gamed the GBB before trying this driver and I'm in favor of this driver more so because it's more forgiving and my distance on average was a better.

You have the regular or Pro version? I liked them both better than the GBB when I demo'd them.

Hit this today. It's a FAST driver - I was mid to high 140s on pretty much every swing. Stock shaft feels great, but isn't the best fit for me. Was launching it too high in the 10.5, spinning it too low in the 9.5 and the ball was just falling out of the air. A little bit heavier shaft in the 10.5 would probably be perfect.

Definitely has a bit of a draw bias, but not crazy. Would like to give the pro a few swings.

You have the regular or Pro version? I liked them both better than the GBB when I demo'd them.

Regular version with stock regular flex shaft. Playing at 10.5* standard/neutral

Three guys I was playing with today all played this driver (as a test) and two of them said it was the longest driver they have ever hit. I cant comment on one of them as I have never played with him before, but the other is my normal playing partner Tim and he was hitting to areas he has never seen before on this course. He literally went from the course to Edwin Watts to buy it.

Three guys I was playing with today all played this driver (as a test) and two of them said it was the longest driver they have ever hit. I cant comment on one of them as I have never played with him before, but the other is my normal playing partner Tim and he was hitting to areas he has never seen before on this course. He literally went from the course to Edwin Watts to buy it.

I can believe that. I was carrying balls 245 with this on the monitor consistently - those are usually "when the stars are aligned" numbers for me.

I can believe that. I was carrying balls 245 with this on the monitor consistently - those are usually "when the stars are aligned" numbers for me.

There are a few THPers that have played with my golf partner Tim and he is #OutingApproved haha. To say he hits this farther than others is an understatement.

There are a few THPers that have played with my golf partner Tim and he is #OutingApproved haha. To say he hits this farther than others is an understatement.

A guy like that who is a big hitter would be fun to watch with this in hand, I think.

Unfortunately the Flightscope was being used, and I was using the GC2 - it would be interesting to see how much of the ball speed increase I was seeing from this came from swing speed vs. better smash. I'm thinking it has to be both, especially with the Boeing partnership on this. Callaway's got a great stable of drivers right now.

A guy like that who is a big hitter would be fun to watch with this in hand, I think.

Unfortunately the Flightscope was being used, and I was using the GC2 - it would be interesting to see how much of the ball speed increase I was seeing from this came from swing speed vs. better smash. I'm thinking it has to be both, especially with the Boeing partnership on this. Callaway's got a great stable of drivers right now.

Thats just it, he is a short hitter. Carries about 220 most of the time.
Today he was even with me for about 3/4 of the round. I was blown away and it sent him to the store.

Today he was even with me for about 3/4 of the round. I was blown away and it sent him to the store.

Ah, I misunderstood. That's got to be the kind of story that manufacturers dream of - when someone just heads to the store and buys a club after a demo on course

Ah, I misunderstood. That's got to be the kind of story that manufacturers dream of - when someone just heads to the store and buys a club after a demo on course

I thought about asking for one at #TheGrandaddy instead of the GBB, just based off of the 3-4 swings I took with it.

I thought about asking for one at #TheGrandaddy instead of the GBB, just based off of the 3-4 swings I took with it.

I almost bought it after the first few swings, especially since I had a $75 credit. I want to go back and try a few different shafts since they're offered when I'm a bit less tired.

That's an impressive gain, I can't wait to try this one out and see what it does for me.

I would love to buy a new driver but there are so many good ponders out there. Currently gaming the 2015 Cleveland CG Black at 12 degree. Between the XR16, F6, M2 and G, which might be more like the Black in terms of weight and CG?

I would love to buy a new driver but there are so many good ponders out there. Currently gaming the 2015 Cleveland CG Black at 12 degree. Between the XR16, F6, M2 and G, which might be more like the Black in terms of weight and CG?

Out of those listed, its the XR16 in my opinion.

Nice. Thanks JB. We have our first PGA Superstore opening on Saturday ($30k in equipment being given away). I will give the XR 16 a try.

Looking forward to your thoughts TD.

First chance I get I'm going to have to hit this alongside my R15 and weep that I didn't hold off switching from my old SLDR an extra 3 months.

What's the target market supposed to be for the xr pro?

The golftown rep had me hit both the gbb and the xr pro. Both felt good and numbers were fairly similar.

Trying to see what the differences are between the gbb and the xr pro

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

What's the target market supposed to be for the xr pro?

The golftown rep had me hit both the gbb and the xr pro. Both felt good and numbers were fairly similar.

Trying to see what the differences are between the gbb and the xr pro

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

Pretty different drivers. The XR Pro fits between GBB and DBD in my opinion and the cost is a tiny bit different.
Max adjustability and more forgiveness in GBB to me.
Less adjustability and a bit lower spin for XR Pro to me.

And the heads are quite different in sound and feel.

I hit the xr16 pro, 9* with an oban tour shaft in it this weekend thanks to Kang and I was impressed how even at 9* it was easy to launch and the ball really exploded off the face. It would probably just as long of a driver that I could hit but my dispersion wasn't good with it. Very solid offering though.

Looks like my GBB will be in the BST forum later tonight. Just pulled trigger on the XR16 Pro with Red Tie awesome combo for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back