Cobra KING LTD Fairway Wood Preview

Im in ponder mode for a 5/7 to replace my 3Hybrid which is 19 deg. Has anyone had any results comparing this to either the GBB 5w or the GBB heavenwood?

Wow that is silly low spin for a 3 wood! Cobra is amazing.

I don't play a 3 wood because A) I don't feel comfortable with the longer shaft off the ground, and B) can hit them close to 300 so I don't need that distance

i currently use a 17* hybrid as my longest club after driver but it's been wild so I'm considering trying like a 4-wood cut down to around 41.75" maybe. This cobra could really fit the bill with how easy it would be to add weight to the head!

I tried the Cobra King Fwy today. It looks great and it performa very well. However, impact felt incredibly harsh! Did anyone else feel that??? I am not particularly sensitive to looks and sounds when trying clubs, but the feel i got from the face at impact was the worst I ever felt with any club.

I tried the Cobra King Fwy today. It looks great and it performa very well. However, impact felt incredibly harsh! Did anyone else feel that??? I am not particularly sensitive to looks and sounds when trying clubs, but the feel i got from the face at impact was the worst I ever felt with any club.
I didn't notice anything like that when I was hitting Fupy's side by side with my GBB at the time. Freaking missile launcher of a fairway, and the 0 CG might just be more effective here than in the driver.

After my time with some other FWs left me wanting yesterday, this one has sprung to the top of my "must try" list.
Looks deadly, I love the stock shaft, and the whole Zero CG in a FW just makes so much sense.

I think liveliness is often a reflection on sound, and the LTD stands alone against other drivers due to the muted contact sound.

When I hit it, I had no issues with flight or the belief that it was harsh to hit. Just sounded a lot different than my x 2 hot.

The Ltd line definitely has a unique sound to it. I personally love it, it's one of my favorite I've hit but I can completely understand how that could affect some people. I was hitting in an indoor five bay golf simulator last week and the sound my driver made compared to that from other bays was very unique.

I ended up with a 3/4w of these. It looks very sharp. The GBB 3w has been very good for me, so I'll be interested in comparing the two, but if I end up hitting it well, I can figure out how to open up a spot in my bag.

Had a few minutes to spare so stopped by local PGASS to take a few swings and hit my LTD FW in the sim.
I had not hit it off the tee until today and wanted to just rip it and see what it can do.
Boom!! 5 shots off the tee, average carry 248, spin 2800. Ball makes a loud crack and launches and it just felt "right"
I have NEVER hit a 3 wood over 250 total distance whether it is on a sim or on the course. To see if this was a fluke or the sim messing with me, picked up the GBB 3w and carry was around 230 - my usual distance. 5mph ball speed difference and about 900 rpm spin difference between the two.
Needless to say I was HAPPY and King LTD just works for me. Just AWESOME.

I am not sure I've spent anywhere near the right amount of time with this fairway yet.

Maybe it's time to fix that. Loving this line from Cobra right now.

Had a few minutes to spare so stopped by local PGASS to take a few swings and hit my LTD FW in the sim.
I had not hit it off the tee until today and wanted to just rip it and see what it can do.
Boom!! 5 shots off the tee, average carry 248, spin 2800. Ball makes a loud crack and launches and it just felt "right"
I have NEVER hit a 3 wood over 250 total distance whether it is on a sim or on the course. To see if this was a fluke or the sim messing with me, picked up the GBB 3w and carry was around 230 - my usual distance. 5mph ball speed difference and about 900 rpm spin difference between the two.
Needless to say I was HAPPY and King LTD just works for me. Just AWESOME.

This. I've always hit my 3 wood really well but this takes it up a notch. I think I've been averaging 250 with it also. The LTD series is so good.

Is anyone is able to compare this with the GBB FW?

Is anyone is able to compare this with the GBB FW?

The two are similar to me in a number of ways, but then very different in others.
The subjective part is very different to me, meaning that they sound and feel completely different.
Spin was slightly lower for me with the GBB and the ball flight was as well.
Carry distance was with in a yard of each other on average.

Finally hit this yesterday at the local golf shop. Went in with full intentions of purchasing the 3-4 fairway option. Love the look and feel of this but there were 3 others that just performed much better for me. It is a good option for sure. Might have been the limited shaft combo they had for this not sure.

I hit this 3 wood last night and I was pretty blown away with what I saw. I've recently hit the 3/4 woods from almost every major manufacturer and nothing really jumped off the page at me until I hit the LTD. I set it to 16* since I'm looking for more of a 4 wood.
The main thing here is ball speed. My goodness I was hitting some shots with this club that would bench my driver! It launched at least a degree higher than the competition in the same loft. The stock Rogue Black is a treat and a great offering.

The downside was that I really couldn't get a leash on the ball with this club. I was missing left pretty consistently with these big turning draws but if I picked up the M1 or 816 Alpha the ball was instantly straight or a little fade. LTD left. I'm not sure if that was due to me jamming the loft up to 16* or something else in this head.
The fairway sounds different than the driver too, at least to me. Same sound but less muted in the fairway...not bad but not as good either.

I am going to try again with a LTD 5 wood with the loft dialed down to see how that works instead of a 3 wood dialed up. It was really nice to see some serious ball speed and carry gains with some new tech though, and maybe restored my faith a little bit.

I hit this 3 wood last night and I was pretty blown away with what I saw. I've recently hit the 3/4 woods from almost every major manufacturer and nothing really jumped off the page at me until I hit the LTD. I set it to 16* since I'm looking for more of a 4 wood.
The main thing here is ball speed. My goodness I was hitting some shots with this club that would bench my driver! It launched at least a degree higher than the competition in the same loft. The stock Rogue Black is a treat and a great offering.

The downside was that I really couldn't get a leash on the ball with this club. I was missing left pretty consistently with these big turning draws but if I picked up the M1 or 816 Alpha the ball was instantly straight or a little fade. LTD left. I'm not sure if that was due to me jamming the loft up to 16* or something else in this head.
The fairway sounds different than the driver too, at least to me. Same sound but less muted in the fairway...not bad but not as good either.

I am going to try again with a LTD 5 wood with the loft dialed down to see how that works instead of a 3 wood dialed up. It was really nice to see some serious ball speed and carry gains with some new tech though, and maybe restored my faith a little bit.

that is probably the solution. i hit the 3w and dialed it up to 4w loft and had nasty hooks. it felt great and overall distance was good, but the closed nature was a non-starter. i wanted to hit the 5w dialed down to 4w, but they didn't have it when i went.

I wasn't really considering a new fairway wood but if my LTD driver performs well when it arrives later this week I'm certainly going to demo the fairway woods. I do think the low CG of these makes a lot of sense and the looks of these woods behind the ball is fantastic, IMO.

that is probably the solution. i hit the 3w and dialed it up to 4w loft and had nasty hooks. it felt great and overall distance was good, but the closed nature was a non-starter. i wanted to hit the 5w dialed down to 4w, but they didn't have it when i went.
Agree 100%. The Cobra MyFly adapter really needs an update IMO. The competitors dual cog systems are miles ahead.

Agree 100%. The Cobra MyFly adapter really needs an update IMO. The competitors dual cog systems are miles ahead.

If I recall though, their adapter allows you to add and subtract loft without changing the face angle though. That to me is pretty nice and something I wouldn't want changed.

If I recall though, their adapter allows you to add and subtract loft without changing the face angle though. That to me is pretty nice and something I wouldn't want changed.

can't confirm or deny this, but visually it's very obvious when you change the loft on the fairway wood, it opens or closes the face. it's not as obvious with the driver, though I don't know whether the adapter is any different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can't confirm or deny this, but visually it's very obvious when you change the loft on the fairway wood, it opens or closes the face. it's not as obvious with the driver, though I don't know whether the adapter is any different.

If this 3W has their SmartPad technology that should not be happening.

If this 3W has their SmartPad technology that should not be happening.

agreed. one of the more innovative and effective designs i've tried was the myfly8 on the fly-z i gamed for awhile. but i haven't found the same to be true in the minimal fw testing i did.

Yeah I think you're right. It's gotta be all mental for me, or maybe because I don't ground the club prior to gripping I'm negating the smart pad?

I had issues with my old Bio Cell woods cranked to a higher loft and the lefts too...same adapter I think.

As an aside I'm being a bit of a PITA and hypocritical consumer because when they change the shaft adapter I complain that I need new ones and here I am saying they should update it. I fail.

I agree with Army on this, have never liked Cobra's adapter or the fact that they dont offer club heads with different lofts. On everyone Ive tried if I loft down I push right if I loft up I tend to go left. I did ground my club before gripping and same results.

That being said I would love to try out this 5w and compare to my J15.

I wasn't really considering a new fairway wood but if my LTD driver performs well when it arrives later this week I'm certainly going to demo the fairway woods. I do think the low CG of these makes a lot of sense and the looks of these woods behind the ball is fantastic, IMO.

Just read your initial impressions on the driver thread. Now it's time for King LTD FW. I firmly believe it's actually even better than the driver.

Back