2019 Morgan Cup Travel/Extra Rounds Thread #THPMC2019

Is Savannah an easier airport? Flights are pretty cheap from here flying into Hilton Head.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Is Savannah an easier airport? Flights are pretty cheap from here flying into Hilton Head.

No clue. I have Delta miles and status so I'm flying to Savannah. Hilton Head was more expensive from Tucson, and Delta doesn't serve it, so really more expensive for me. Buck's also flying to HH so you're not the only one either. Would love to hear from others, I'll go ask in the Odyssey Experience thread.

HH is closer, but Savannah is easier if you want a direct flight and it’s typically the cheaper airport to fly into as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arrive Hilton Head 730pm Thurs

Depart Hilton Head Monday 930am

I have a timeshare at Palmetto Dunes so might stay there if it's not a hassle to book for the Thursday and Sunday night.

HH is closer, but Savannah is easier if you want a direct flight and it’s typically the cheaper airport to fly into as well.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if the island transportation was closer towards Savannah since it's in between.

Just started looking at travel and thinking about the practice round. I can fly into Hilton Head or Savannah for the same price not sure which is best?

Did anyone already have ideas for a course to play? I'm thinking a practice round should be at 10am Friday 10:30 at the latest in order to have time to get to the ferry and a quick shower before dinner.

Just started looking at travel and thinking about the practice round. I can fly into Hilton Head or Savannah for the same price not sure which is best?

Did anyone already have ideas for a course to play? I'm thinking a practice round should be at 10am Friday 10:30 at the latest in order to have time to get to the ferry and a quick shower before dinner.

In Savannah, there is a course (Crosswinds) right next to the airport

In Savannah, there is a course (Crosswinds) right next to the airport

Might be looking at that as the Friday practice round

Might be looking at that as the Friday practice round

Is it a nice course? Last year we were able to get most of the guys to play at the same course and it was a lot of fun. Would be cool if we could do something similar.

I'm looking at flying into the Hilton Head airport at 9:11 am on Friday (I think same flight BuckNasty is on). Should be able to join a practice round by 10:30 if it's on Hilton Head Island. Lots of choices up there (depending on budget), with the added benefit of it being close to the ferry. It's a popular place for golf, so maybe someone has connections for a deal on the public courses or access to one of the private courses? I sadly do not at the moment, but can definitely look around...

Is it a nice course? Last year we were able to get most of the guys to play at the same course and it was a lot of fun. Would be cool if we could do something similar.

http://www.crosswindsgolfclub.com

Looks decent enough for how convenient it is. The website is a bit wonky but the pictures look nice.

That would be awesome

I guess we need to see the full Fri itinerary to make sure we all can get on the ferry and across to shower and what not on time

That would be awesome

I guess we need to see the full Fri itinerary to make sure we all can get on the ferry and across to shower and what not on time

We are working with the captains to make sure that you guys are set. They have the details, but we hope each team can be on the ferry together and you are going to want to head over no later than about 4pm.

What is everyones price range for the practice round? I just read through the Odyssey travel thread from last year and I noticed a few guys played Palmetto Dunes in HH.

I've never been in that area so not sure whats what but at a quick glance here is some pricing at some of the better courses in the area from what I've found

1. Harbour Town $369
2. Atlantic Dunes $199
3. Heron Point $179
4. Palmetto Dunes $151
5. Oyster Reef $85

What time are you looking at for a practice round?

I get in at 9am in SAV and it’s an hour drive to the Ferry. I want to make sure I’m there for the 4pm departure.

Top 3 are worth those prices (allthough Ive never played them that time of yeah where grass is dormant).

#4 at $150 is not, but Ive played it a ton for much less when I go down there and it makes it much more of a value.

Havent played #5

What time are you looking at for a practice round?

I get in at 9am in SAV and it’s an hour drive to the Ferry. I want to make sure I’m there for the 4pm departure.

I would think around 1030 would be about the latest we’d want to tee it up?

Based on the ferry schedule it looks like it only runs at the bottom of the hour so would have to be on the 330 or 430 ferry.

Based on the ferry schedule it looks like it only runs at the bottom of the hour so would have to be on the 330 or 430 ferry.

And I would definitely play on Hilton Head just in case traffic gets backed up in Savannah. Play course to the ferry and you should be good to go.

11am would probably be the most likely time for me to be able to tee of

(And yes I’m aways good to roll out of the car and go)

I’m in for any of those course options - if mike said it could be had for cheaper I’d look at one of the others

What is everyones price range for the practice round? I just read through the Odyssey travel thread from last year and I noticed a few guys played Palmetto Dunes in HH.

I've never been in that area so not sure whats what but at a quick glance here is some pricing at some of the better courses in the area from what I've found

1. Harbour Town $369
2. Atlantic Dunes $199
3. Heron Point $179
4. Palmetto Dunes $151
5. Oyster Reef $85

I'd be up for any of those, so will let others determine their price preference. I'm a sucker for trying to hit up the best course available while on a trip, but I'll be happy anywhere this early in the golf season! Have heard great things about the rebuild of Atlantic Dunes, but understand if paying $199 for a practice round can sound a little steep.

Without knowing the area, Old South Links looked pretty nice and has some cool looking holes from the satellite as well. It's just across the bridge in Bluffton - only 12 minutes from HHH airport and on the way from SAV. Looks like they may have some promotions if you wait until 30 days out to book (guessing it would range from $75-$95 at that time of year). At the same time, not sure how busy the bridge gets on Friday afternoons, meaning we may be better off playing on the island to get to the ferry.

Dolphin Head Golf Course is a good one if people are trying to keep it cheap.

Was in good shape and greens were solid (september) but it is drastically different than the top 3 on the list.

2019 Morgan Cup Travel/Extra Rounds Thread #THPMC2019

I’m ok with any of those courses on the list (or outside of that list if other options present themselves). I land with Boiler at 9:11am at Hilton Head, so I’d imagine we could get to any course on the island in time for a 10-1030am round.

Last edited:
Both teams on the Ferry together would be very awesome. We gotta make that happen.

I am pretty much up for whatever. I'm leaning toward heading on over to Hilton head Thursday instead of trying to get up earlier Friday.

Just finalized the flight down there and confirmed that I'll be on the 9:11 arrival into HHH on Friday. Part of me is hoping it's a big THP party on that flight from CLT, but the rest of me is hoping nobody talks since everyone in that flight will have been up at a ridiculously early time (or a red eye) and will need to get some sleep for the big weekend!

Regardless I should be ready to tee off for a practice round between 10:15-10:30. It's getting real!

Back