A couple of milestones

obedt

Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
I played a couple of days ago in what is basically my "home course." It's a little 9 hole course that I hadn't played in maybe 3 months but am very familiar with. I typically play the front from the whites and the back from the blues.

Well I have been playing very little golf so had no expectations, but pretty much had a dream round. First hole I holed out from about 40 yards for my first eagle in 6 or 7 years playing golf. Tried a short pitch with my 54, caught it barely off the toe and it rolled until it basically died right at the flagstick. I didn't mean to catch it off the toe, but I think that is the beauty of the CG16 & RTX CB wedges. They are so forgiving, if anything I lost a couple yards but the reduced spin from the imperfect strike made up that difference with a little more rollout. They are great wedges for "hackers" like me.

By the middle of the round I was really striking my irons well, wound up hitting 13 greens (personal best) and scoring 77 (BY FAR my best score). So I wound up with my best score, my first eagle, and my best ball striking day.

I have to thank THP. The review for the Adams XTD driver really helped in my decision to buy the fairway finder. I don't purchase too much golf equipment, but when I need something this is the 1st place I look for reviews. I also made sure to check out the reviews for the Never Compromise putter I got 2 years ago. Thanks all for the work you put into the site. It not only helps in having fun trying out equipment, but it also shows up through the members' achievements.

Congrats.
Having fun is the most important thing, but some achievements along the way never hurt.

Great score! Sounds like you had a good time out there!

Great shooting

Nice round, congrats on the PB!

Congrats!!! That is awesome to shoot a PB.

Heck of a score, way to go!

Congrats on the 3 milestones. Golf is such a fun game.

Congrats! PB are always something to remember plus their pretty much fun also!!

That's a round to remeber for sure.

Congrats! Now that you've had a taste of shooting sub-80 you will be motivated to do it often!

Well done!

Congratulations! Well done. Hope you continue to play well.

Congrats on the PBs!

heck of a round. very nice! Congrats!

Congrats on the PBs! Great round!

Congrats on the great round.

Great score! Congrats!

Congrats on the PB!

Thanks guys!!! Hope you all enjoy a great 2016 on and off the course.

Two things I should have added - I played the round with my dad. Having an opportunity to spend the good and not so good days on the course with him is definitely a blessing.

Also, me and him have been helping out at the range for a small group that want to pick up the sport within our church community. It's a rewarding experience, but maybe a little of the goodwill came back at me during the round. I had a slightly fatted (really just grazed the rough a little early, not something crippling but still not what I wanted) chip roll in for par on a tougher par 3. I literally had lots of breaks come my way.

I wrote this yesterday morning but had not posted. My father and golf partner is suffering from Hepatorenal syndrome (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatorenal_syndrome) post op to remove 60% of his liver. He was not expected to make it through Saturday evening. Unexpectedly and against medical predictions, my father's heart began to strengthen. His condition has improved over the last 36 hours and my family is hoping he will recover and enjoy a long life. My dad is definitely not out of the woods. Unfortunately the odds are stacked against anyone suffering that syndrome.

A lot of the below may not apply since he has been graced with renewed strength and has not passed away. I would like to share the post anyways since there are some important elements about the game we play.

Sorry for the thread bump but I hope you will understand after reading through the post.

I have not played any golf or even gone to the range since this one round I enjoyed with my father. He had lost some weight in a short amount of time and had been to several doctors to find out why prior to and just after that day. After some problems getting authorization from the medical insurance company to get an MRI done on the 9th, we decided to go to the hospital the next day. His color was changing, turning a yellowish tone. It turns out my dad had spent the last months/years with an aggressive tumor growing in his liver. He had surgery this last Monday, removing 60% of his liver. It was slow to recover and ultimately led to renal failure, which proved to be unrecoverable for his body.

It goes without saying that my father was much more than a golf partner. To his last days he helped me with any project around the house. He along with my mother took care of my daughter until now. He could not have been a better example for how to be a loving father. This is a golf forum though, so the rest of the post should really be centered around that.

I got him into golf about 6 years ago. My birthday gift for him was a golf outing - no range time ever. He was able to elevate the ball from the get-go. He got hooked that same day. He loved just being in the cart with his son, talking, taking in nature, and every now and then hitting a good shot. My father met and became friends with all of my golf buddies through this game. He started to play as a single and met a gentleman who to this day remains his best friend. This person recently moved to Florida, but flew back to Puerto Rico once he found out about my father's surgery. He has visited my father every day in the hospital.

There are so many things to love about this game. Trying out new equipment, practicing, improving, achieving your best score, getting your first eagle, a hole in one - there are moments that become milestones. For some, there can be a much greater value from the relationships that are forged, the friendships that are made, the meaningful conversations to be had while on the course. This community seems to really understand that, more than any other golf forum or website. This is evident with the way events are set up and from reading various posts after the different activities. There may be some reading this that are new to the game, have not participated in the outings, or maybe have not yet understood the importance of the social aspect in golf. Precious few will make a living from this game. For the rest of us, never lose sight of the opportunities this game provides beyond it being a sport.

One final note and if you are offended by religious commentary please stop here. My father later in his life accepted Jesus as his savior and, largely thanks to him I did as well a few years ago. Saying that I'm a good golfer is an overstatement. 6 GIR in one rd is an achievement for me. 90 is a very good score. I will forever believe that this one round, ultimately the last of many I would ever enjoy with my dad, was a blessing from God. I knew there was something special that day early in February.

His grace has uplifted and strengthened my family through this time.

First off, great round.

Second, just take faith, the liver is one of the few organs in the human body that can regenerate itself.

Back