How would you play this?

Take the penalty and move on. You could try to skull it back into play but if that goes sideways, where are we now? I just hate compounding mistakes.

Based on the fact that you said you were able to make good contact, but hit a tree. I would take a swing, but just a different line. Sounds like the stick didn't really interfere.

I'd try to puncha 5 iron and move it forward a bit

Hybrid. Bump it with an elongated putting stroke and advance the ball.

Yes, you’ve gotta use something with very little loft in that situation. Assuming that stick is gonna be between the clubface and ball. That or an 8i WAY back in your stance and try to trap it just missing the stick.

The main thing with a shot like this is to plan on it not going according to plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I VERY rarely keep score, so I would just improve my lie to improve my mood. It's goofy things like this that I refuse to risk gear or injury because of some rule when I'm out on the course trying to enjoy myself.

Having said that, IF I were forced to play by the rules because someone's life depended on it, I would use either my 4H or 7I to punch it out of trouble with the only goal being a clean surface to hit from and line to the target.

I would have taken the chance to move the stick slightly.

Or just play winter rules (since it is winter after all) & move the ball to a good lie to hit it. Can't post a score anyway. So why take the chance? :act-up:

I would have taken the chance to move the stick slightly.

Or just play winter rules (since it is winter after all) & move the ball to a good lie to hit it. Can't post a score anyway. So why take the chance? :act-up:
It's actually autumn still, but I see your point. As I said, I wouldn't have been taking a chance by moving the stick. I would have been taking a penalty. There was no chance the ball wasn't going to move if I moved the stick. I would've just taken an unplayable and moved it further away from the tree if I wanted to accept the penalty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I VERY rarely keep score, so I would just improve my lie to improve my mood. It's goofy things like this that I refuse to risk gear or injury because of some rule when I'm out on the course trying to enjoy myself.

Having said that, IF I were forced to play by the rules because someone's life depended on it, I would use either my 4H or 7I to punch it out of trouble with the only goal being a clean surface to hit from and line to the target.
You could still move the ball AND play by the rules. There's a provision for that already.

You could still move the ball AND play by the rules. There's a provision for that already.

But, if he isn't scoring the round then the provision doesn't matter. We all enjoy this beautiful game in our own way, and that is awesome.

But, if he isn't scoring the round then the provision doesn't matter. We all enjoy this beautiful game in our own way, and that is awesome.

Exactly. It's all about how each person enjoys it. I have enough rules in my life to live by already lol

I was addressing his 2nd paragraph. Maybe you didn't read that far.

Exactly. It's all about how each person enjoys it. I have enough rules in my life to live by already lol

Amen dude, I hear that! HA!

Since at my club, we are playing winter rules, it is lift, clean, and place. No problem with the stick causing ball movement. But it is up to local rules.

A trusty foot wedge is the right club for this shot :dance:

Last edited:

Amen dude, I hear that! HA!

Can't argue with that. If someone enjoys carrying the ball from the tee to the green and dropping it in the hole, then more power to them. They paid their greens fees, not I.

I dont know how/why any this became a "play by the rules or not" discussion. I mean the question was asked about with the sense of imo playing by the rules or it wouldnt have been asked in the first place. There is just no sense to asking such a question if the answer to the question is to suggest to ignore rules and to have fun doing whatever your heart desires. By all means do whatever you wish of course, no one will care. But just that the question /topic holds little worthy discussion if the answer is to just do whatever you want.

As for what i would do? If im fairly certain the ball is going to move when the stick is removed then i try to move the stick anyway and just perhaps get lucky where as it doesn't move the ball. Im figuring a few things here.
1) hitting it as it lies seems to be almost certain trouble as for an extra stroke anyway and also possibly ending up somewhere even worse.
2) taking an unplayable penalty stroke
3) trying to remove the stick (just maybe get lucky) but if not its a stroke anyway and so be it.

So imo #3 is the best chance at no penalty or best chance at no extra stroke/s. If it doesnt work then so be it.

I dont know how/why any this became a "play by the rules or not" discussion. I mean the question was asked about with the sense of imo playing by the rules or it wouldnt have been asked in the first place. There is just no sense to asking such a question if the answer to the question is to suggest to ignore rules and to have fun doing whatever your heart desires. By all means do whatever you wish of course, no one will care. But just that the question /topic holds little worthy discussion if the answer is to just do whatever you want.

As for what i would do? If im fairly certain the ball is going to move when the stick is removed then i try to move the stick anyway and just perhaps get lucky where as it doesn't move the ball. Im figuring a few things here.
1) hitting it as it lies seems to be almost certain trouble as for an extra stroke anyway and also possibly ending up somewhere even worse.
3) trying to remove the stick (just maybe get lucky) but if not its a stroke anyway and so be it.

So imo #3 is the best chance at no penalty or best chance at no extra stroke/s. If it doesnt work then so be it.

TL;DR. Shouldn't do it, but I will.

What's the title of the thread again? With particular emphasis on the 3rd word. There's a place for everyone to have their opinion respectfully considered and for them to enjoy the game of golf in their own way. Have a wonderful day.

I dont know how/why any this became a "play by the rules or not" discussion. I mean the question was asked about with the sense of imo playing by the rules or it wouldnt have been asked in the first place. There is just no sense to asking such a question if the answer to the question is to suggest to ignore rules and to have fun doing whatever your heart desires. By all means do whatever you wish of course, no one will care. But just that the question /topic holds no worthy discussion if the answer is to just do whatever you want.

Oh goodness, I know better than to engage at this point, but what the hay.

Cool things about forums and conversations, people are allowed to engage in it no matter their stance or opinion.

Besides that fact, the OP simply asks how you would play it, nothing is said about playing within the rules, had it, then obviously those replies don’t apply but nonetheless someone who wants to enjoy the game on their own standards should still be able to reply.

I’ll never understand why both sides and conversations just will not be allowed to coexist by some, but I suppose that’s the age we live in, one is right so the other person must be wrong.

C’est la vie.

Cool things about forums and conversations, people are allowed to engage in it no matter their stance or opinion.

Besides that fact, the OP simply asks how you would play it, nothing is said about playing within the rules, had it, then obviously those replies don’t apply but nonetheless someone who wants to enjoy the game on their own standards should still be able to reply.

I’ll never understand why both sides and conversations just will not be allowed to coexist by some, but I suppose that’s the age we live in, one is right so the other person must be wrong.

C’est la vie.

AMEN brother.

giphy.gif

TL;DR. Shouldn't do it, but I will.

What's the title of the thread again? With particular emphasis on the 3rd word. There's a place for everyone to have their opinion respectfully considered and for them to enjoy the game of golf in their own way. Have a wonderful day.

C’est la vie.

Are you guys kidding. Amazing how easily insulted people can become. There are no opposing sides. This was not about playing by the rules or not. The OP posed a question how to play this one. He thought (as indicated) in the post about a penalty stroke. Its obvious he was posing the question with the rules of golf in mind. that is highly likely why he brought it up. I simply pointed out that if the answer was to ignore rules then there was no real purpose (in a golf sense) to the question in the first place. Anyone could just do whatever they wish anytime with anything. But that imo was not relevant to the OP and his question. I cant speak for him but I highly doubt he asked the question with the idea that people would answer it with an ignore the rules answer. There just would been no real purpose to the question because that answer technically doesnt answer it. Thats all i was really pointing out.

I should no better than to engage as well. I know all too well how it feels and receive backlash when not being allowed to take an opposing side of a debate in this place especially when an unpopular side. But as said, this specific topic doesnt rally have opposing sides. It was just a question on how/what decision we would make to play this shot and from what was written in the OP the rules were to be part of that decision. All ive done was to point out that ignoring them doesnt answer his posed question.

Can't argue with that. If someone enjoys carrying the ball from the tee to the green and dropping it in the hole, then more power to them. They paid their greens fees, not I.

I wouldnt argue that either. But i have to believe ignoring the rules is not what you meant nor were looking for when asking the question you asked. I simply tried to point that out and forgive me if i was wrong for assuming that as i can not speak for you. Unfortunately i received backlash for it.

Like others have said. Try to get a hybrid on it to advance it

Like others have said. Try to get a hybrid on it to advance it

a couple people said this but im just trying to figure how a hybrid helps any better than an iron would. Im not even certain if the shot is facing which direction. Are we hitting this from behind the ball and downhill or from behind the stick and uphill? IDK.
But in either case does our hybrid do anything different to the obstruction vs what any iron might? Just honest question there because a couple mention it. im curious what is the logic or vote for the hybrid to do to help us here that an iron wouldnt?

a couple people said this but im just trying to figure how a hybrid helps any better than an iron would. Im not even certain if the shot is facing which direction. Are we hitting this from behind the ball and downhill or from behind the stick and uphill? IDK.
But in either case does our hybrid do anything different to the obstruction vs what any iron might? Just honest question there because a couple mention it. im curious what is the logic or vote for the hybrid to do to help us here that an iron wouldnt?

For me personally I feel more confident with they hybrid. I’m likely just trying to hit the ball 10-15 yards to a better place to make my next shot. Modified putting style stroke with the hybrid gives me the best chance to get back in play

For me it would depend on what's in front and above me. The hybrid is just my go to, using a putting stroke to pop it out back in play and advance it.

Back