How would you play this?

I would move the stick and hit the ball as it lays. I see it as if there was a branch that fell off a tree that was in the second cut. It should not have been there so why am I penalized ? I wouldn't expect my partner/opponent to take a stoke so I would not either

Are you guys kidding. Amazing how easily insulted people can become. There are no opposing sides. This was not about playing by the rules or not. The OP posed a question how to play this one. He thought (as indicated) in the post about a penalty stroke. Its obvious he was posing the question with the rules of golf in mind. that is highly likely why he brought it up. I simply pointed out that if the answer was to ignore rules then there was no real purpose (in a golf sense) to the question in the first place. Anyone could just do whatever they wish anytime with anything. But that imo was not relevant to the OP and his question. I cant speak for him but I highly doubt he asked the question with the idea that people would answer it with an ignore the rules answer. There just would been no real purpose to the question because that answer technically doesnt answer it. Thats all i was really pointing out.

I should no better than to engage as well. I know all too well how it feels and receive backlash when not being allowed to take an opposing side of a debate in this place especially when an unpopular side. But as said, this specific topic doesnt rally have opposing sides. It was just a question on how/what decision we would make to play this shot and from what was written in the OP the rules were to be part of that decision. All ive done was to point out that ignoring them doesnt answer his posed question.

Before you play the martyr card, the whole backlash thing is pretty much exactly what I was talking about. Someone has a differing opinion than you and want to engage to talk about it, you call it backlash, but when you do it, its ok. The point of conversation on things like this topic is that we will all have differing opinions, and no one in here has said they are right and the others are wrong. I don't understand the jump to conclusions we have regularly been seeing in these opinion threads the last few months, people are different, and that is what makes a place like this fun.

Yes, the OP mentioned HE felt HE should have taken an unplayable, but it doesn't ask if those replying to the thread would, it asks what would YOU do. So, someone answering move the stick , replace the ball, and play on is an acceptable answer.

a couple people said this but im just trying to figure how a hybrid helps any better than an iron would. Im not even certain if the shot is facing which direction. Are we hitting this from behind the ball and downhill or from behind the stick and uphill? IDK.
But in either case does our hybrid do anything different to the obstruction vs what any iron might? Just honest question there because a couple mention it. im curious what is the logic or vote for the hybrid to do to help us here that an iron wouldnt?

Hybrid has a larger trailing edge with higher MOI affording more balance and less twisting at impact through the ball and impediment. Additionally, a smaller stroke will yield more "pop" with a hybrid than it will an iron, meaning smaller more controlled move into the ball and more than likely a better overall result (if one is comfortable with that shot) of just getting the ball back into play leaving a clear, full, swing on the next shot.

Before you play the martyr card, the whole backlash thing is pretty much exactly what I was talking about. Someone has a differing opinion than you and want to engage to talk about it, you call it backlash, but when you do it, its ok. The point of conversation on things like this topic is that we will all have differing opinions, and no one in here has said they are right and the others are wrong. I don't understand the jump to conclusions we have regularly been seeing in these opinion threads the last few months, people are different, and that is what makes a place like this fun.

Yes, the OP mentioned HE felt HE should have taken an unplayable, but it doesn't ask if those replying to the thread would, it asks what would YOU do. So, someone answering move the stick , replace the ball, and play on is an acceptable answer.

Hybrid has a larger trailing edge with higher MOI affording more balance and less twisting at impact through the ball and impediment. Additionally, a smaller stroke will yield more "pop" with a hybrid than it will an iron, meaning smaller more controlled move into the ball and more than likely a better overall result (if one is comfortable with that shot) of just getting the ball back into play leaving a clear, full, swing on the next shot.

fwiw im not saying that you meant it towards myself but i havnt done much at all golf thread posting in quite some time. Im also not looking to be any martyr. What i originally posted wasnt meant with intent to hurt anyone. . The question implied was simply not relevant to the idea of not playing it by the rules. I dont see how pointing that out was anything bad to do. Some the dicussion began to become a bit about just having fun and forget the rules but thats not what the topic was about and like it or not that doesnt answer the question posed the way i believe was the intent of the OP (unless he corrects me). He from past experience thread wise is usually a believer in playing by the rules. Not only that but the way it was written in the post gives no indication what he was searching for was an answer that would suggest ignoring them. But it did indicate what one would do given the choices within the rules. Id bet my house that this is what was intended and would be a bit shocked if not. Pointing this out was not something imo that should been taken so poorly. i didnt even say those suggesting ignoring the rules was wrong. So I wouldnt even argue that. There is no wrong. I only imply that it doesnt represent any real answer to the posed question that was asked. At least not in the way I beieve it was meant to be answered. In that sense only, ignoring the rules would have no relevance. Whether im right or wrong about that it still wasnt meant with intent to hurt anyone.

Too many opinions about things other than playing this shot...
So to get back on topic.
In a normal round where I am just playing with friends/family, I am moving the stick throwing it into the woods and taking the shot without a penalty, even if the ball moves.
If it was a situation where I must play by the rules (for handicap purposes etc.) then I would assess whether or not I could punch the ball out into a favorable fairway lie or if it was better to move the stick, take the penalty and hit a decent shot from there. In this situation, the stick being there is going to cause an extra stroke, more than likely, so it is best to not play the hero shot and figure out how to get through the hole with the least amount of strokes.

Okay who am I kidding, I would more than likely attempt a hero shot, I cannot restrain myself haha.

Easy. As I approached the ball, upon seeing the situation, my raged would have erupted with a white-hot intensity. By focusing that rage upon the offending stick, I would have reduced it to cinders releasing my ball to roll where it may. I would then hit the ball sans penalty.

Easy. As I approached the ball, upon seeing the situation, my raged would have erupted with a white-hot intensity. By focusing that rage upon the offending stick, I would have reduced it to cinders releasing my ball to roll where it may. I would then hit the ball sans penalty.
I'll keep that in mind for future situations.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'll keep that in mind for future situations.

It takes a bit of Jedi practice, but it's do-able.

Assuming the stick sits in the way of club/ball impact here, although maybe it doesn't, IDK? If so, most folks I golf with (myself included) would likely just move the stick and put the ball back if it rolls. Then play on without assessing a stroke most of the time. Mostly so we didn't have to listen to the unlucky one whine about it and also we love our clubs too much to risk hitting that gnarly stick. I get that it isn't legal per RoG.

I can only think of a couple reasons I'd attempt the hero shot despite the stick. Obviously if in a competition and if that desperate play is needed due to the status of the competition. Also I might go for it in a casual round with the right company. If so, I'd grind as hard as I ever have to make par just to be able make the totally inappropriate announcement, 'I got a woodie'

Assuming the stick sits in the way of club/ball impact here, although maybe it doesn't? If so, most folks I golf with (myself included) would likely just move the stick and put the ball back if it rolls. Then play on without assessing a stroke most of the time. Mostly so we didn't have to listen to the unlucky one whine about it and also we love our clubs too much to risk hitting that gnarly stick. I can only think of a couple reasons I'd attempt the hero shot despite the stick. Obviously if in a competition and if that desperate play is needed do to the status of the competition. Also I might go for it in a casual round with the right company. If so, I'd grind as hard as I ever have to make par just to be able make the totally inappropriate announcement, 'I got a woodie'
I've made it well-known enough around here that I lean toward playing by the rules as much as possible. For me, it'd have to be a very serious reason to not play by the rules. If I didnt want to play by the rules, then I'd likely find another game to play.

I've made it well-known enough around here that I lean toward playing by the rules as much as possible. For me, it'd have to be a very serious reason to not play by the rules. If I didnt want to play by the rules, then I'd likely find another game to play.

Yup, I saw your conviction up close last month and it's very admirable Jeremy. Also impressive that your son fully embraces that ideal too. That was a fun day of golf despite Mother Nature. Personally, I know I'll never completely live up to that standard but I certainly respect those who do.

Yup, I saw your conviction up close last month and it's very admirable Jeremy. Also impressive that your son fully embraces that ideal too. That was a fun day of golf despite Mother Nature. Personally, I know I'll never completely live up to that standard but I certainly respect those who do.
I believe it 1/2 (probably more) of the challenge of the game. I wouldn't be proud of my round of 76 and 77 and my 9 hole score of -1, 35 if I didn't know I'd played by the rules.

Skirting the rules in golf would be like riding a skateboard during part of a marathon and claiming the time as my achievement. I couldn't do it.

... and the day was definitely fun despite the sub-40° temps. Glad we made it happen. Just told my boy, we need to get back up that way in the summer.

I would like to know just which direction we are talking about for the shot. Would we be coming in from the ball side, the stick side, or perhaps its even from the angle where as both the ball and the stick would be struck simultaneously. I think that shot angle can make some difference as for our choices. Perhaps OG wouldn't mind answering that question.

I would like to know just which direction we are talking about for the shot. Would we be coming in from the ball side, the stick side, or perhaps its even from the angle where as both the ball and the stick would be struck simultaneously. I think that shot angle can make some difference as for our choices. Perhaps OG wouldn't mind answering that question.
I took the shot from behind the ball in relation to the hole. If I'd have attacked the ball head on, with the stick away from my body, the I'd have been hitting out into the fairway. See the pic from Google Maps above.

and so....unfortunately that still not exactly so easily understood. Sorry lol

In order to advance the ball up the fairway and towards the hole we need to hit mostly stick first?
And mostly ball first or combo of ball stick to hit it out 90 degrees onto the fairway?

Does that sound right? Sorry but just trying to get a clearer look of it.

Ok, so I think this shows it a bit better. Just a little different than what I said before. My 12 o'clock would have been the tree and not the hole.
fc076a21291f4b5f00f621db7735dd99.jpg
9dde209d334f47bf6c7820c7a4867db4.jpg

Ok, so I think this shows it a bit better. Just a little different than what I said before. My 12 o'clock would have been the tree and not the hole.
fc076a21291f4b5f00f621db7735dd99.jpg
9dde209d334f47bf6c7820c7a4867db4.jpg

Ah..ha. Now i see much clearer. sorry and thanks for putting up with that :)

better understanding this changes things. And so with the fact that you said the stick is prev ting the ball from rolling downhill it seems we are taking a fairly significant uphil shot (stance wise) as we are standing on the side of a hill/mound here.

Im just not hiting this shot "stick first" as i just wont know what would happen nor where the ball would end up. But i feel i could play a subtle shot towards the between 1 ocklock to 130 position. this way i can hit the ball somewhat with the sweat spot while the stick catches the toe of my club. and so im thinking i can just punch it out and slightly up the fairway. nothing so far up but end up in fairway a little closer and then play the rest from that point.

Foot wedge.....

Winter rules... move the stick(bone). If the grass was growing it wouldn’t have gone that far to get there in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter rules... move the stick(bone). If the grass was growing it wouldn’t have gone that far to get there in the first place.

This didn't happen in the winter. I've never seen the winter rules. Are those in the USGA RoG book?

Last edited:
This did t happen in the winter. I've never seen the winter rules. Are those in the USGA RoG book?

No. For obvious reasons they would be handled locally.

This did t happen in the winter. I've never seen the winter rules. Are those in the USGA RoG book?

You may personally have chosen that winter rules dont exist, but they do and they are necessary in many parts of the world.

You may personally have chosen that winter rules dont exist, but they do and they are necessary in many parts of the world.
Personally chosen? I asked where they are written. Did you even read my post? Still didn't happen in the winter.

How would you play this?

Not in Winter? I figured that since the grass looks like dormant bermuda, that is was recent. My mistake.
Casual round- move the bone and play on. In a match or playing with sticklers- do what normally happens when trying something silly- leave bone and top the nuts off it.
Then watch Caddyshack afterwards.

Not in Winter? I figured that since the grass looks like dormant bermuda, that is was recent. My mistake.
Casual round- move the bone and play on. In a match or playing with sticklers- do what normally happens when trying something silly- leave bone and top the nuts off it.
Then watch Caddyshack afterwards.

It was on/about Dec 15th.

Back