How would you play this?

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
In hindsight, I should've taken an unplayable and dropped. Not because it made poor contact, but because I ended up hitting a tree limb in front of me and lost the ball on that shot.
4ee91b9b5f55ea497811f3d506a72df9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Would've taken a drop or tapped it left or right and sacrificed a stroke, can't imagine much good coming out of that shot.

Hybrid. Bump it with an elongated putting stroke and advance the ball.

Thats some bad luck. I like the idea of trying to bump it forward with a hybrid, i think thats the way i would go.

Yeah, I was surprised I made clean contact with it, too. The tree I hit was bare (obviously since it's December) and I think the limb I hit was about half the size of a pencil. Really figured it just went through and maybe dropped short of where it should have, but apparently, it decided to take a hard left and I never found it. Like I said... hindsight...

So, here's the line I was playing at the tree (circled in black) that I hit. It was a good 30 yards in front of me. I was really surprised it didn't get over it. It wasn't tall by any definition.

Attachments

• how.JPG
    how.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
Isn't that just a stick? If so it's a loose impediment and can be moved with no penalty. If you move the ball in doing so it's a one shot penalty. If it's a root I'd take an unplayable.

Isn't that just a stick? If so it's a loose impediment and can be moved with no penalty. If you move the ball in doing so it's a one shot penalty. If it's a root I'd take an unplayable.

It is a stick. I'm well aware that I have the option to move a loose impediment. It was on the downhill side of the ball. It would have certainly moved if I had moved the stick.

loose impediment, remember the ball is allowed to oscillate but not move

if unable to do so, I would whack it as hard as possible

It is a stick. I'm well aware that I have the option to move a loose impediment. It was on the downhill side of the ball. It would have certainly moved if I had moved the stick.

I would have taken the chance and the one stroke penalty if it moves.

Particularly seeing the overhead I stand by my first post. Hybrid and bump it back into the fairway to a decent number, leave a full swing in.

Hard to tell with not knowing what is in front of the ball or to either side. If the fairway is out to the right, my play would be to punch it off the toe to the right.

Edit: Now I see the picture so would play it as I stated above.

I'd ignore the stick and go for the hero shot. Odds are my miss is going to be an ugly layup.

Yeah, there was no chance. Hill was way too steep. If I was going to do that, I could have just taken an unplayable and dropped in a better lie. I wouldn't call what I hit a "hero" shot. Just opted for a little choked down 4h and was probably 1/4" from a miraculous outcome. Oh, well. It is what it is. If my eyes (ok, just the left one) were better, I maybe have been able to follow it and play it. As it stands, the group behind me found it and gave it to me when I joined up with them ~12 holes later.

Hybrid. Bump it with an elongated putting stroke and advance the ball.

I would play it this way also. Basically I'm looking to advance the ball a little bit and to not harm my body or clubs

loose impediment, remember the ball is allowed to oscillate but not move

if unable to do so, I would whack it as hard as possible
See this is the problem with vague rules. An object must move to oscillate. It's literally part of the definition of the word oscillate. We should fire the USGA and create a new association to manage our game.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Can we assume the stick can't be moved without moving the ball?

Can we assume the stick can't be moved without moving the ball?

Yes. See above. It was on enough of a hill that it would have obviously rolled if I'd have moved the stick.

I would probably hit a punch 7 iron.

If as stated, certain the ball would roll if I removed the loose impediment, I'd likely play it similar to a fairway bunker.

I'd probably pull 6 or 7-iron, keep my lower half quiet and try to skull the ball as best I could.

Hybrid or 3 iron, play it back in my stance, grip down and hit it like I'm playing a bump and run. Aim it to safety and give it a decent whack to get it moving.

Scuttle a 3 iron forward into safety, hero shot will either be AMAZING or a hook or slice into further trouble

prolly would have used a hybrid and take a punch, If i could have moved the stick, i generally ALWYS use a 6 iron to keep it low and hook it.

I’d have moved the stick and taken the hit when the ball rolled, if it was a tournament or a game that mattered, maybe just tap it left or right toward the fairway if possible.

Back