dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
I was able to participate in my first focus group the other day. I had been getting emails with surveys (2-3 mins ong) to fill out to see if I qualify for about a year now, but I either didn't qualify or the time didn't fit into my schedule. This one did and I'm really glad I went. It was all about Social Media and how I use it in my every day life. It was 6 of us (all males) in a room with a 'moderator' to ask questions and get us talking. There was also one of those glass windows where folks could sit behind it and listen/watch us...along with a few video cameras and microphones in the room. We were able to meet those folks after everything was done. Really nice group that we found out were from the San Francisco area. We spent about 2.5 hours total on the subject and I actually found it quite fun. Amazing to see how even a small group of 6 uses social media in such different aspects. THP and Tapatalk came up for sure. I hope to participate in more of these in the future as it was quite interesting. The $225 they paid us wasn't too shabby either.

Have any of you participated in focus groups? If so, how have those gone for you? Are there any specific companies out there that you are signed up to do these through?

Many years ago, I worked for Arbitron (radio ratings company) and we used to have people in all the time for these groups, usually with advertisers or radio station GM's and PD's in to observe. People generally enjoyed the conversation and had a good time. Our clients found it very helpful as well to hear from real people their listening and buying habits.

We use them a lot in our industry, but as times have changed what used to be the in person focus group is much harder to recruit for, online seems to have better response rates lately.

Never even been asked to fill out one of the surveys. So no I have not been a part of one of these. Would gladly join given the oppertunity.

Have completed a few of these. Great way to get every ones attention on one subject. Can be very effective if given the chance!

There's probably some in your area if you google them. That's how I signed up. Although there may be a lot more in the Chicago area than in yours. I don't know.

Here's one place... The online ones are nice because you can often do them out of market.

Never even been asked to fill out one of the surveys. So no I have not been a part of one of these. Would gladly join given the oppertunity.

I get emails all the time from National Field & Focus to do these, but most don't apply to my life, or aren't close enough to me to justify the time/expense.

I snuck into a focus group years ago at ISP Con that was run by Cisco. I had no idea what was going on, so I just mirrored some comments made by the engineers who were taking part. Walked out 30 mins later with $200 in crisp $50 bills.

Back