The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
have you thought about cutting back on the lessons to one every 2-3 weeks or more so that you can work on the stuff from the lesson during the week and playing your normal number of rounds in there as well?

imo 2 lessons a week doesn't give a persona chance to work on the stuff they learn before having to take in more info.
My pro setup the lesson agenda and frequency.Many of our lessons involved no ball but slow motion mirror work Ingraining a focused area of the swing motion.He told me frequency of lessons needs to be enhanced when learning his method.Sounds like a long process becoming a decent golfer.Im hoping i can just keep at it.Ive dedicated some serious time to this.He promised I would break 100 shortly after starting and i did do it twice.But I played from the red tees on our local executive course.Im happy to say I broke 100 and it felt so good,I was really playing good golf and was coming all together

After we had a late night last night out 10-pin bowling with Preston and his wife, I headed to the range this morning for a final swing of the clubs before heading to The Belfry on Thursday and had a fairly productive session

Mixed it up between easy 100yd PW shots, 7i shots at the 150yd flag and 5i shots at my 'imaginary' fairway between the yardage markers and more work with the driver to try and get the swing changes to be more automatic rather than having to still consciously think about them

Struggled a little with the driver because I couldn't find the tee height I wanted initially (was hitting off mats due to the wet weather we have had so was using the rubber tees) but once I found the right height I hit more shots into my imaginary fairway than those that missed it. The good thing about the changes I have made mean that my shot shape now is more of a draw, and if I miss to the right I know exactly what I did wrong so can correct it with the very next shot. Previously my miss was either the OTT slice or pull, but now I have almost removed the right side miss which is giving me more confidence off the tee

1-2 rounds and 6-8 hours on the range per week is probably the bare minimum if he truly wants to become a decent player.

That is way too much time to dedicate to golf with family unless you are looking to play to a serious tournament level. For the average person wanting to enjoy the game I would say even 1 round a week is enough if you are able to supplement that with a range session to practice the things from any lessons

Last year I pretty much played 1 round every other weekend, and the other weekend when I wasn't able to play I would try to get to the range for an hour or so, and along with getting fitted for new irons I finished the season shooting mostly low 80's so I certainly won't be spending 15+ hours a week playing and practicing

Taking 1 sometimes 2 lessons a week since thanksgiving if possible.Would practice thirty minutes to an hourly nightly in my net.Go to our local park that has a hundred yard empty field and hit eight irons once a week.Play one round weekly on Monday and Tuesday afternoons nine or eighteen.Broke 100 twice with a 97 and 93, which made me feel so happy.Pro told me to play the red tees or tee from the fairway if things go bad.

I would have said that many lessons is too much as unless you practically live on the range/course there is no way you can properly practice what you have been shown. I have had 2 lessons since the middle of February and have seen some great improvements in my swing and ball-striking with just one range session a week and a few 9 hole rounds on my clubs practice course and a full 18 last weekend where I shot 83 (3 under my handicap)

My pro setup the lesson agenda and frequency.Many of our lessons involved no ball but slow motion mirror work Ingraining a focused area of the swing motion.He told me frequency of lessons needs to be enhanced when learning his method.Sounds like a long process becoming a decent golfer.Im hoping i can just keep at it.Ive dedicated some serious time to this.He promised I would break 100 shortly after starting and i did do it twice.But I played from the red tees on our local executive course.Im happy to say I broke 100 and it felt so good,I was really playing good golf and was coming all together

i dont know your instructor but a lot of what you have described through out your time for me raises to many red flags and I would have probably switched a long time ago. Slow motion mirror work is something that should be done in between lessons to work on engraining what you work on in the lesson. I can see some of it being used in a lesson and my last two instructors used both slow motion swings and mirror work but it was not the whole lesson.

i know where you are and wanting to break 100, I was there and did it with playing golf, learning course management and working in shirt game and putting.

i want you to succeed and reach your goals and have fun playing golf. This is purely my opinion but I think your instructor is saying doing things to get your money and hasn't fulfilled his promises. The timeframe he laid out for you to shoot certain scores is a really long time and I believe you could get there a lot quicker with a different instructor and fewer lessons

Got some work in this morning. Still fighting to take the club back on plane and not inside as well as getting myself to the sensation of "laying off" at the top (even though it isn't) since I am SO across the line there most times and have ingrained that bad move. From there its lower body sequencing and letting myself start the downswing where I should. Irons have been more on for me with this than I anticipated at this point in the year, but the longer clubs are still a work of trusting the length of the club.

After that a LOT of wedged with the 50* and 54* of a variety of lengths. Finished with some just for the hell of it flop shots with the 60 where I looked like an idiot at times on the range, but it made me smile lol

Spent the day on the range working on a new setup and swing. So far been liking what I see, just need to transfer it to the course. Afterwards put some time in the short game area working on bump n' runs and flop shots.

Got some work in this morning. Still fighting to take the club back on plane and not inside as well as getting myself to the sensation of "laying off" at the top (even though it isn't) since I am SO across the line there most times and have ingrained that bad move. From there its lower body sequencing and letting myself start the downswing where I should. Irons have been more on for me with this than I anticipated at this point in the year, but the longer clubs are still a work of trusting the length of the club.

After that a LOT of wedged with the 50* and 54* of a variety of lengths. Finished with some just for the hell of it flop shots with the 60 where I looked like an idiot at times on the range, but it made me smile lol

this is something my instructor wants me to feel. It's been hard for me to,be consistent with it after having as habits engrained for so long. When we do indoor lessons during the cold weather there is a window behind where the mat is. He tells me feel like I'm going to put the club thru the window. When on the range I imagine that window

Spent some time this morning working on my setup and swinging without a ball. I've been doing this almost every day I'm not playing, taking anywhere between 50 -100 swings. I'm focusing on a full smooth turn and staying balanced on the follow through. Not worrying about hitting the ball has allowed me to concentrate on swinging through instead of hitting at the ball. It must be working, my ball striking is coming around and the last round I played, my brother commented that whatever I'm doing is working.

snuck out on the practice green for about 30 minutes. felt awesome. focusing on keeping the right shoulder in line with the hips and feet instead of letting it get sucked back is helping me to keep on plane and when i'm on plane i can just let the shoulders do everything. i continue to feel better from 15' than 5', but that's obviously just in my head. wouldn't have said this 6-9 months ago, but i actually enjoy putting right now.

Hit a large bucket at the range today, I just couldn't seem to get into a good groove. Hit some decent drivers, but my iron shots were too few and far between when it came to good ones.

I got some really nice height on my irons a few times, which is always a problem for me. But for the most part, shots were far too low. Still trying to work on that weight shift to give me more distance and height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Practiced chipping and putting. I was throwing and rolling the ball as well as I have. Felt good. Then I hit a bucket focusing on new shaft in driver and wedges. I was swinging terribly today. I don't know what it is, but I can get into a good groove and then poof, I go somewhere else with my swing. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Thing clicked tonight or should I say I figured things out on why I was breaking down on the backswing.

I was really struggling to keep my weight from getting to the outside of the right foot, knee was breaking down and loosing flex and rotating away from the ball, this was dragging my left knee toward in and down toward the ball. This was causing me to shift/lean my upper body toward the target at the top and fall back away at/after impact before getting to my left side.

Doing some slow motion work on turning the left shoulder down toward my right knee clearly showed where I was failing and why my shoulders would flatten out and take the club around me.

So instead of trying to keep my right knee from moving away from center, I started focusing on keeping it from moving away from pointing at the ball. This is keeping my weight on the inside of my right foot and allowing me to make a proper take away and drive my right hip through the ball and the club to drop into the slot and through the ball with the left knuckles feeling like they are reaching for the ground in front of the club head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played today working on not taking the club back closed. This is an on going effort. It is getting easier to do it without thinking about it! Good round but still have more work to do!

I had a much needed range session (so happy I practiced instead of played). I was rusty on the putting and chipping greens. Bunker practice was awesome. I didn't want to go back to my bag so I practiced with my 52*. I was able to experiment with face angle and body position to generate some short sided soft flops - a result I wouldn't have expected, especially with that lofted club. I really love short game practice, it is so much more diverse and fun than pounding balls on the range. Speaking of the range, it was a mixed bag. Most irons were mostly straight and there were some instances of getting lost distance back. But not all shots. TBD.

Had a nice range session today overall. Spent about 60% of my time on mid irons and hybrids, because my failures with those clubs really killed me yesterday. Had some pretty nice success overall, but need to keep working it.

Also, my sand practice session went fairly well as well. Got every ball out which I've never done before! Not every one was close for sure and I still need work, but that was a really nice milestone.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Wedges, wedges, wedges. All I hit today were wedges from 40-122 yards. About 100 balls, working on hitting low drawing chokedown shots. Im getting more and more comfortable with this approach and messing up fewer and fewer shots on the course. I'll do some more of this tomorrow. Im dying to practice putting more, but the greens were just punched so they are rolling about a 6 right now lol

Went to the range after 2 rough rounds yesterday. Added 2x25g to my putter and the results were great. I also modified my putting grip, practicing one hand putts.

More work today on my chipping and putting! It seems to be getting better but it is a slow process!

Chipping work today:
Started working on just a few little chips off the fringe to a pin 4 paces on.

Then moved to five yards off the green and worked on a 50/50 carry to roll ratio with the AW

Then from the same spot with a 9 iron worked on a 1 X 3 carry to roll ratio from about 20 yards.

I would love to say the were all perfect, they weren't. But the important part was I had a plan or focus and if I miss hit a pitch analyzed what went wrong and usually corrected it on the next one.

I did this until I got 3 straight chips/pitch to within 5 feet.

Today I was able to get a little bit of practice in. Decided to work on half shots and flighted shots from 50-85 yards. I am one that would prefer not to use my wedges for full swings if I can avoid it, because I believe they bring more trouble and less forgiveness than I am looking for. So I have been working on a flighted PW and and really dialing it in through trajectory and spin control.

Today I set balls up at 57 and 77 yards (happen to be marks there) and worked on both. What I found is that I can play them with clean contact and generate a ton of spin to take the hop and stop on a dime. Going to continue to work on this through out the summer and move away from a necessity to take any full swings with my wedges.

Today I was able to get a little bit of practice in. Decided to work on half shots and flighted shots from 50-85 yards. I am one that would prefer not to use my wedges for full swings if I can avoid it, because I believe they bring more trouble and less forgiveness than I am looking for. So I have been working on a flighted PW and and really dialing it in through trajectory and spin control.

Today I set balls up at 57 and 77 yards (happen to be marks there) and worked on both. What I found is that I can play them with clean contact and generate a ton of spin to take the hop and stop on a dime. Going to continue to work on this through out the summer and move away from a necessity to take any full swings with my wedges.

Amen! Control at that distance has been my focus this year. I'll get it down for sure.

Amen! Control at that distance has been my focus this year. I'll get it down for sure.

It was something I used to have and kind of lost and has been a big goal to get back. I'm about half there. It's amazing how much less error prone that leads to big numbers there is if people worked at it even a small amount. Shorter stroke, more forgiving club and more spin equals easier to do.

I like the idea of practicing less-than-full shots. Like many, I just generally try to avoid them.. but that's hardly a safe play.

Fortunately my course just moved back to the grass range, so I'll be getting some solid time in soon.

It was something I used to have and kind of lost and has been a big goal to get back. I'm about half there. It's amazing how much less error prone that leads to big numbers there is if people worked at it even a small amount. Shorter stroke, more forgiving club and more spin equals easier to do.

Once I started using different wedges for the distances you mentioned it go much easier to control. Gap wedges for 70 yds and 54 for 50 Yds. Just works for me.

Once I started using different wedges for the distances you mentioned it go much easier to control. Gap wedges for 70 yds and 54 for 50 Yds. Just works for me.

I'm working on pitching wedge from 110 to about 85 and AW from there to about 30. It's starting to come around.

I'm working on pitching wedge from 110 to about 85 and AW from there to about 30. It's starting to come around.

Do work, maybe time to resurrect your shape up thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back