Do You Trust Your Launch Monitor?

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Over the last couple of years I've noticed distinct -- and sometimes significant -- differences in the output readings of different ball launch monitors. The main culprit that accounts for most of the difference seems to be "roll", which can differ as much as 15 yards from one monitor to the next (depending on settings). Other differences can be attributed to the technology itself, specifically whether or not distances are based on calculations as opposed to actual ball tracking.

Has anyone else experienced significant differences from one monitor to the next?

I think there are a lot of factors in play using a launch monitor, any comparison really needs to be on the same monitor on the same day, especially if you’re looking for relatively small differences between clubs.

Yes. On all of them.
Although I discount roll completely. Reason being that just like launch monitors, it will be different for every course.

What prompted this thread was a YouTube review I watched this morning. This dude was swinging <100mph, with ball speeds averaging 144mph, and his outputs were showing 275+ yards. Even with 15 degrees of launch, that makes no sense to me. The review was done on Foresight.

Comparatively, my numbers are usually 100+mph swing speed, 150+ ball speed, and Top Tracer was showing an average of 267 yards my last time out.

I do if I trust the person who set it up. I do not trust the ones at my golf shop though. Or the ones in the simulator golf joints in town for the most part- they always seem to vary too much for me.

What prompted this thread was a YouTube review I watched this morning. This dude was swinging <100mph, with ball speeds averaging 144mph, and his outputs were showing 275+ yards. Even with 15 degrees of launch, that makes no sense to me. The review was done on Foresight.

Comparatively, my numbers are usually 100+mph swing speed, 150+ ball speed, and Top Tracer was showing an average of 267 yards my last time out.

Someone has that thing dialed up for simulator mode.
Its why I like Foresight. No fuss, no muss, just straight real numbers from one of the few that is imaging the ball at impact.

This topic has recently been on my mind because of my last fitting. For whatever reason, and it could have been a month layoff from playing golf, but my swing speed was real low compared to where I have been forever. Even as recently as this summer when hitting new drivers the swing speed was right were it is normal for me.

Sure do.

They key is knowing that roll doesn't mean ****, IMO.

Now, when I go to a store on a sim, I bring a baseline club with me because sim mode is hilarious.

It would be wonderful if OEMs sent out their launch monitor settings in their press releases for us golf nerds who like to do our own comparisons.

It would be wonderful if OEMs sent out their launch monitor settings in their press releases for us golf nerds who like to do our own comparisons.

I honestly don't think most mess with the settings.

But, they do use robots. So, first step for comparisons would be the impossible one, swinging like a robot.

I honestly don't think most mess with the settings.

But, they do use robots. So, first step for comparisons would be the impossible one, swinging like a robot.

You haven't played golf with me yet. I swing like a robot one battery short of a full charge.

Yes. On all of them.
Although I discount roll completely. Reason being that just like launch monitors, it will be different for every course.

I agree, even a top of the line quad is going to show different roll than what I will get at home, little roll in winter lots of roll in season. I always just look at the carry numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This topic has recently been on my mind because of my last fitting. For whatever reason, and it could have been a month layoff from playing golf, but my swing speed was real low compared to where I have been forever. Even as recently as this summer when hitting new drivers the swing speed was right were it is normal for me.

I had that same thought when I did my driver fitting this past March. Nick the founder at Club Champion told me that every launch monitor measures swing speed differently so not to worry about that number. Its very possible that I'm just getting older and losing speed as well haha..

To me I never look at rollout or total distance because in the real world I never get that much roll. Carry and spin are the only numbers that are important in my mind.

I have seen them vary quite a bit. A couple weeks ago I was at RD hitting balls. One launch monitor was reading unusually high on ball speed. I had the guy look at it and the settings were all normal. I go to the next bay over and ball speed is right around where I expect it to be. I'm curious how often they need to be calibrated, and if the big box stores even send them out for calibration or not. I also never pay attention to the rollout number, only carry.

I trust the launch monitors I use as they are the ones used by my instructor, so I know I am going to get consistent results with them

If I was going to a store to try out new clubs, I would bring along my own club to get a baseline to compare against

I agree with the notion of only paying attention to carry distance, but I also struggle with that when comparing drivers. I want to know how long that sucker is going to roll as a result of a lower spin rate, but obviously the best tell is real data on the course.

I do for the most part, but you have to understand your setting. With a big box store, there is always the chance that it's juiced so bring a similar club to compare the actual differences. Outdoor fitting with a Trackman and I would trust that much more without having another club to compare. My distances from the fitting at the Grandaddy were very consistent to what I saw on the course the next two days.

Best way to compare is to have two similar clubs and swing them in the same setting and compare the actual numbers (club head speed, ball speed, spin, carry distance etc..). I will look at the roll but will not put a lot of focus on it.

Over the last couple of years I've noticed distinct -- and sometimes significant -- differences in the output readings of different ball launch monitors. The main culprit that accounts for most of the difference seems to be "roll", which can differ as much as 15 yards from one monitor to the next (depending on settings). Other differences can be attributed to the technology itself, specifically whether or not distances are based on calculations as opposed to actual ball tracking.

Has anyone else experienced significant differences from one monitor to the next?

My observation (from watching YouTube videos) is that the carry distance numbers , compared to what those swings would actually produce on a golf course, are jacked up by a minimum of 10%.
In other words, when a guy videos his faulty swing and the screen shows 175 yard carry with a 7-iron, on a golf course that ball on level terrain at seal level would carry 148.
And his driver screen shot revealing 285 carry is in reality a 250 carry.
I attend pro tour events here in California and the carry distances YouTube video guys reveal on their machines is significantly longer than what the average Tour player (on the course) produces.

As consumers become more educated in data and metrics, do you think it will be more or less difficult for brands to move product?

I need that machine. My last one had ball speeds in the low 140's and carry was around 240. I'd gladly take that extra 35 yards. Were those numbers carrry or total? Like most, I discount total yardage because terrain plays a huge roll in to that.

As consumers become more educated in data and metrics, do you think it will be more or less difficult for brands to move product?

Depends on the product.

I agree with the notion of only paying attention to carry distance, but I also struggle with that when comparing drivers. I want to know how long that sucker is going to roll as a result of a lower spin rate, but obviously the best tell is real data on the course.

What happens when you travel though? Won’t it be completely different? Or if it’s wet, or if it wasn’t cut firm that day?

To answer the question, yes I trust monitors. That said it's important to have a basic understanding of what the software is doing. Also, I never look at roll numbers unless I'm doing a straight H2H.

GC Quad - no reason not to trust every number it spits out as long as you've got the stickers on your clubs. The odd misread.

GC2 HMT - same as above.

GC2 - Only ball data is given. Club data is result of a calculation based on preset smash factor for each type of club.

Trackman - very reliable outdoors, lots of misreads indoors in my experience. Club speed is measured differently than Foresight and is consistently approx 5 mph slower. Otherwise very reliable numbers.

When it comes to various changes in the settings I admit that I'm a little ignorant. I dont know which devices offer boosts and other jacked settings, but I don't think I've ever encountered these on actual launch monitors.

i think i know what video you're referring to, and i had the exact same reaction. i was thinking, "well, i swing about 5-10mph faster than that guy and apparently he hits it about 20-30 yards past me. wtf?!" granted, if it's the same video i saw, he had a pretty positive aoa and low spin, which can certainly lead to some big numbers relative to ss.

to answer your question, i really don't know what to believe. i like the numbers a lot, but i won't do any testing indoors. i have to see it outside before i'm going to make a decision.

Back