The Equipment Events

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
I wanted to post a few thoughts about these equipment event signups. The thoughts spill over to participation in the forum itself, so if the “Golf Clubs, Balls and Accessories” is not the proper place for this new thread, I would ask the mods to move it where it is most appropriate.

I have been fairly involved in a few different forums over the years. Golf and golf equipment form my most loved hobby/free time pursuit. However, I also love acoustic guitars and used to be pretty involved in some forums related to hand built guitars. But, we all have seen various forums and social media in their many forms. For me, The THP is the best forum I have ever seen. It is not even close. I say that, of course, having just been selected to be in the Morgan Cup.

This event is going to be pretty special to me. I have never had the chance to play golf on the east side of the country. In early November, my family and I had a trip to Orlando to see a son who is stationed in Moody Air Force Base and to take the grandkids to Disney World. I reached out to c.a.eleric and he graciously agreed to host me for a round of golf. I know his schedule was really busy at the time and I was grateful that he would take the time to do it. However, two days into our trip, I had to return home to Utah because my mom passed away. I missed my chance to play in Florida with c.a.aleric and get my first experience playing golf in a new locale.

This Morgan Cup event gives me a chance to play in South Carolina, a state where I lived during some of my youth. I have never been back, so it is really exciting. My wife and I are going to come in early and see some of the old stomping grounds. It also feels like a sort of make up for November’s lost trip, too (but I will get back c.e.eleric!). It was the best Christmas surprise I could have hoped for.

What does that have to do with the forum? I never thought I had a snowball’s chance in hell of getting in this event. I participate as much as I can, but am in a very busy period being part of a team running a company in the real estate world and we have been trying to make hay during these good times that followed the crash of the housing market. I work long hours and I see how so many others can post so much more and I thought for sure I would be way down anybody’s invitation list. There is a place for everyone who has a passion for golf. I have made some great acquaintances through my participation and I know I will make many new friends.

So, after a long winded post, my point is that this event will mean the world to me in a roundabout way, losing my mom. To all of those who are new, or lurkers, look at the list of lucky participants. It’s not the same old crowd like some forums. Everybody is welcome here. It is not a clique. This is a really fun place to talk golf, equipment and make new friends. I know I speak for many when I say thank you to JB, GG and all those others who put so much effort into making this place great. Happy holidays all!

Last edited:
Great post with some valid points. I, too, have been involved in other forums over the years and THP is in a class by itself!

Congrats again on your selection to the Morgan Cup.

Congrats Tenputt and that is a great post! Enjoy the MC

Enjoy it, THP events are all special and unique in there own way, but the Morgan Cup is on a different level.

Having lost my mom as well this year unexpectedly I get it. My condolences.

Sometimes it’s the little things in life like hobbies and such that get us through and keep our minds off things.

i suppose the morgan cup is a decent consolation prize for having to cancel our round ;)

i'm really excited for you!

and yes, thp rocks. it has made golf more fun than it has ever been. i've learned so much, but also made some really great friends. i can never thank jb, gg, and the mods enough for keeping this place going, and continuing to make every year bigger and better.

Congrats and enjoy!! THP always puts on incredible events!

Tenputt, this is going to be one hell of a ride, and one of the best weekends of golf (and much more) that you'll ever have.

Great post and Congrats on the MC!!

I always say "I came to THP for info but stayed because of the People"
It's rare to find a community online that treats each other with respect.

Great thread Tenputt!!!! THP has and always will be about the community. There have been plenty of members old and new that have come and gone. Some for good reasons, some for lousy reasons. At the end of the day, this place is built upon the mantra of "life is more important than anything, family is most important, it will be here waiting for anyone that decides to leave and come back, etc etc etc etc. I am glad to hear about your excitement and others excitement for these events and it warms my heart knowing I was once in that same position as a new member trying to find my way. I also didn't ever think I could get picked (not chosen) for any event simply because I was new. Sure, there is some disappointment when anyone doesn't get in an event. BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE......don't ever think that just because someone has been around longer than you, posts more than you do, interacts more, reviews stuff better, whatever it may be......"deserves" to be chosen over someone like yourself or anyone else that has been on this forum for a longer time. That is simply not how THP works and that is what makes it what it has become. It is simply a special place that if you take all the opportunities, equipment, contests, free crap, and access and throw it out the window, you'd be left with a very large majority of like minded golfers. There are a few egos out there as there is in any type of community. At one point I was one of those guys and am man enough to admit it...since then I have done everything I could to "grow up" and not let things get any more personal than they need to be. I have met life long friends on THP (no exaggeration). Literally talk to some of these guys every single day. That can be hard to understand and even comprehend as a new member but know this.....its there if you allow yourself to get out of your own way, embrace the community and its process, don't second guess stuff like I once did early on, give back to the community what it deserves in return and most importantly....the #1 RULE OF THP......(if you don't know it yet, you will find out shortly)

Make this place what you want it to be. There's so many different threads on a million different subjects that there's no way anyone can get bored. Hell, I just started a thread last week (I was drinking at the time) called "The Best Golf Song" LOL. Enjoy it! THP is a thing of beauty as long as you're willing to not feel entitled everytime you don't get into an event or win a contest. Its as simple as that and we are all glad guys and girls like you are here! As a 2018 Morgan Cup Alumn.....please kick Paradises' ass this march. lol Kidding....have fun and don't worry about anything other than embracing the teams, the sponsor, the community etc.

PS:.....you arent missing much not getting to play with @C.A.Eleric :alien2:

Last edited:
That's a great post Tenputt and it's all so true. I'm the kind of person that doesn't have a ton of close friends, I've only ever needed a couple and I was happy. THP has helped me create more close friends in the 3 years I have been here than the rest of my 35 years.

I've been to events with smaller amounts of equipment or swag given out to the biggest event in existence with an overwhelming amount but whenever someone asks me about the memories from each one it always comes down to the people. Yes the equipment is always fantastic and so appreciated but it's always the people and the memories with them. Finding THP was a blessing because I have a whole family I wouldn't have had without it.

Great thread Tenputt!!!! THP has and always will be about the community. There have been plenty of members old and new that have come and gone. Some for good reasons, some for lousy reasons. At the end of the day, this place is built upon the mantra of "life is more important than anything, family is most important, it will be here waiting for anyone that decides to leave and come back, etc etc etc etc. I am glad to hear about your excitement and others excitement for these events and it warms my heart knowing I was once in that same position as a new member trying to find my way. I also didn't ever think I could get picked (not chosen) for any event simply because I was new. Sure, there is some disappointment when anyone doesn't get in an event. BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE......don't ever think that just because someone has been around longer than you, posts more than you do, interacts more, reviews stuff better, whatever it may be......"deserves" to be chosen over someone like yourself or anyone else that has been on this forum for a longer time. That is simply not how THP works and that is what makes it what it has become. It is simply a special place that if you take all the opportunities, equipment, contests, free crap, and access and throw it out the window, you'd be left with a very large majority of like minded golfers. There are a few egos out there as there is in any type of community. At one point I was one of those guys and am man enough to admit it...since then I have done everything I could to "grow up" and not let things get any more personal than they need to be. I have met life long friends on THP (no exaggeration). Literally talk to some of these guys every single day. That can be hard to understand and even comprehend as a new member but know this.....its there if you allow yourself to get out of your own way, embrace the community and its process, don't second guess stuff like I once did early on, give back to the community what it deserves in return and most importantly....the #1 RULE OF THP......(if you don't know it yet, you will find out shortly)

Most importantly make this place what you want it to be. There's so many different threads on a million different subjects that there's no way anyone can get bored. Hell, I just started a thread last week (I was drinking at the time) called "The Best Golf Song" LOL. Enjoy it! THP is a thing of beauty as long as you're willing to not feel entitled everytime you don't get into an event or win a contest. Its as simple as that and we are all glad guys and girls like you are here! As a 2018 Morgan Cup Alumn.....please kick Paradises' ass this march. lol Kidding....have fun and don't worry about anything other than embracing the teams, the sponsor, the community etc.

PS:.....you arent missing much not getting to play with @C.A.Eleric :alien2:

Would you please quit making sense. It’s really starting to mess with my head.

My brother from another planet is correct on all counts, THP is an amazing place. Regardless of “stuff”. The people are great and you can make lifelong friendships. I know, I’ve made more than a few along the way.

For all those lurking, that’s cool, no pressure. If you want more out of THP it’s all waiting, hop on and enjoy the ride!

@TenPutt, congrats! Have fun!! I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the new shiny and see lots of pictures of Haig Point. Do yourself a favor. Take 2 times as many as you think you need to!

Great thread, and congrats on being selected!

I feel exactly the same way you do about THP. When I first joined, I was looking to learn more about the game and equipment (I had just begun playing.) THP provided the easiest access to the information I was looking for vs the others out there. But when I was new here, I assumed that this place was just like the others in regards to the community. Full of people who are eager to show their true colors whilst hiding behind the anonymity of the world wide web. Because of this preconceived notion, I didn't participate much. I read a little about the events, official and non-official, but brushed them off as being only available to the "elite" members. It took me a while to realize how very wrong I was.

I came and went. It wasn't until @JB encouraged me once to really dive in and give the forum another shot that I began to notice how different THP truly is. New or a Veteran, everyone here is treated like family. I travel all over the world, and I have never once encountered a member who wasn't eager to try to meet up to play (or even just have a drink) at a moment's notice. You won't find this kind of camaraderie anywhere else. And then there's the events.

Once I was really into the forum, I began paying closer attention to the events. I remember reading about the THP Championship, and thinking to myself how cool it would be to be selected to play in something like that. So, I threw my hat into the ring (though it wasn't my first attempt at getting in to something) and lo and behold, I got in! I was excited, I was nervous, I didn't know how to tell me wife that I would be doing this, etc.

Leading into the event (my first event) I didn't know what to expect, but once the ball was rolling on that first day it felt like a family gathering. I was hooked. I now make it a point to enter as much as I can. It makes no difference to me if there's new equipment being included, or if it's a t shirt, I want in! I've played in four events since my first one, and I know that I will continue to play in as many as I possibly can for as long as I can. These events are so much more than golf. This community is so much more than an online forum. I'm so glad I gave it a second look.

Great post and congrats on getting chosen to participate in the MC!
I have to agree so much, I have gotten info and browsed multiple different forums but not a single one has made me want to participate like this one. The free stuff and multiple incredible events are great but that is not what keeps bringing me back. It is the content and how genuine everything is. It is about treating others with respect and providing reviews that any skill level of golfer can understand and having incredible access to not only those who write the reviews but also those who played a part in creating the product. THP continues to get better and better and I look forward to continuing to being a member here.

Great Post... Congrats again on being selected to the Morgan Cup, looking forward to following your journey.

Congratulations! Enjoy the Morgan Cup. It’s an outstanding event at a wonderful venue!

Great post and congrats on your selection. The MC has been a life changer for many THP'ers enjoy the ride

Enjoy the ride man. THP is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back