JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like AT&T is rolling it out first to 12 cities.

The 12 cities initially included in the deployment are Atlanta; Charlotte, N.C.; Dallas; Houston; Indianapolis; Jacksonville, Fla.; Louisville, Ky.; Oklahoma City; New Orleans; Raleigh, N.C.; San Antonio and Waco, Texas. Starting at some point in the first half of 2019, coverage will be expanded to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Nashville, Orlando, San Diego, San Francisco and San Jose, Calif., as well.

With that said, most phones are not capable yet, but should be next year.

Great. Now phones will be $2,000 each but dont worry, you can finance them for 6 years lol

• Admin
Great. Now phones will be $2,000 each but dont worry, you can finance them for 6 years lol

hahah. I thought the same thing.

This also helps home internet service as a way to get away from traditional broadband service doesnt it?

I would get more excited if We had 4G coverage everywhere but it's still lacking in a lot of areas.

Sounds like Sprint is going the same route:

Sprint will begin rolling out its mobile 5G network in early 2019. The first cities to experience Sprint’s 5G network will be New York City, Kansas City, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, and Washington D.C. Additional markets will be added in the future, and if Sprint does merge with T-Mobile you can expect to see its network rollout very quickly.

Ugh, this is good but also meh about pricing as stated above. No Boston either eff

Really excited for what 5G will bring to the world. It’s a hot topic in business as it will allow for a lot of new tech to be viable, especially driverless cars on a large scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But do you really need 5G?

Whatever. I have to use WiFi calling and texting at my house since the coverage is so bad. The only bad thing about being out where I am now is having to rely on Century Link for internet, and they only offer 10mbps at the house. There was nothing until 18 months ago, neighbor had to pay them to tunnel under the road to lay line.

Don’t care what it is, just give me reliable service wherever I go and I’d be happy

But do you really need 5G?

If it can help traffic in Los Angeles, yes.

5g really isn’t going to do much for phones. I think it’s going to be more focused on IOT than phones. We’ll see though.

Huh- surprised Sioux Falls wasn't part of that initial wave. We're about as tech forward a city as there is.

5G is only going to be useful to those who like to stream content to their phone. And you need a 5G capable phone. Those of us with computers and TVs for content and older phones aren't going to get any advantage. By the time the providers get 5G in my area, something else may come along, like gigabyte internet.

This also helps home internet service as a way to get away from traditional broadband service doesnt it?
Verizon started their commercial rollout of 5G in Sacramento and that's how they are marketing it.

5G is only going to be useful to those who like to stream content to their phone. And you need a 5G capable phone. Those of us with computers and TVs for content and older phones aren't going to get any advantage. By the time the providers get 5G in my area, something else may come along, like gigabyte internet.

Pretty sure that already existsdoesn’t it? I call you referring to speed? Because my Internet provider already offers gigabyte speed if you’re willing to pay for

4G wasn't an actual order of magnitude faster than 3G (which actually was an order of magnitude faster than Edge/2G), so I'm not sure what I should get excited about unless its range is much, much better than 4G CDMA.

5g really isn’t going to do much for phones. I think it’s going to be more focused on IOT than phones. We’ll see though.

It'll be huge for building out broadband in rural areas, because a lot of those folks who are stuck with DSL because the fiber/cable companies don't want to build out there.

This is wrong in so many ways. First off, it frees you from having to rely on your local internet provider. Im stuck with Comcast (which actually is good) but keep raising my price and adding caps each year.

So, no there are many more uses for 5G. 1GB Internet is already around...

I'm not getting excited because 5G cellular won't be rolled out nationwide until at least 2020. It sort of reminds of of HD TV and more recently 4k. Even today, a very small percentage of the TV shows are available in 4k.

And don't forget you can download a gig a second but you only have 50MB of data so we're going to have to charge you $2 per MB.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that already existsdoesn’t it? I call you referring to speed? Because my Internet provider already offers gigabyte speed if you’re willing to pay for

Yeah gig speed is so old news. We've got 10 gig speed available in areas here for $300 month. A gig is only $70 month. Good ol Gig City, Chattanooga, TN.

Yeah gig speed is so old news. We've got 10 gig speed available in areas here for $300 month. A gig is only $70 month. Good ol Gig City, Chattanooga, TN.

Dang for 70$ I only get 50mbs haha....

Back